Halloween (spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw it last night and will be back to see it atleast twice more this weekend! I love this movie and as said before this is my third favorite Halloween film!

Halloween
Halloween 2
Zombie's Halloween

I just hope that the Friday the 13th remake does for Jason what this did for Michael. Make him something to fear again and have the movie revolve around him only (as RZ Halloween did) and not the teenagers (remember MTV is involved, this is scary). This was truly another great horror film that will go proudly into my collection.

Last edited:
It's really not all that bad a movie if you don't try and hold it to the standards of the original film. If it were an original film, the first time an audience saw Myers.... It would be a classic already. It's just the lack of stalking that takes down the score for me. If it DID have that, it would be perfect.

Still a pretty damn awesome horror film and the best Halloween in ages.

What do you guys think of the "new" Michael Myers?

I'm sure most people have heard by now that the main reason a lot of diehard fans of the original are criticizing the remake (and even going as far as to boycott it) is that Zombie has changed the nature of Michael Myers. In the original, Michael Myers is barely even human. Dr. Loomis refers to him as "it," and Loomis unequivocally states, "This is no man." Michael Myers is evil personified. He is, was, and always will be pure evil. But in Zombie's remake, we are led to believe that this monster may have been made, NOT born. This is implied with the bad home environment and bullying. Michael also seems to have a soft spot for his younger sister Laurie. As a child, Michael refrains from killing her, and as an adult, he does so again (twice, in fact...the second time after being deceived and then viciously stabbed by her!). Clearly, Zombie is indicating that Michael is not purely evil. There is a trace of humanity left inside him.

Original Michael Myers - Evil personified, almost a force of nature

Remake Michael Myers - "Mere" psychopath

Saw it earlier today and I was quite disappointed in it. Sorry, but I held it up to the original, and rightfully so. If this film had been the first time we had seen the Michael Myers character then I would have given it more slack. But you can't expect to revisit the character without expecting fans to look back on the original. I would consider this film more of a re-representation rather than a remake. What parts of the film that paid homage to the original were barely touched upon, and Zombie's own representation of the character was delved into in more detail, and I didn't care for his version.

Well, at least now I know. Makes me appreciate John Carpenter's masterpiece that much more.

As said before i was extremely skeptical of Zombie's version but after seeing it yesturday I quickly changed my opinion. It really comes down to two things:

1. Compare it to the original and end up hating it because of the lack of comparision.

2. Don't compare it to the original and treat it like another installment of the Halloween franchise and maybe appreciate it for the cinematography invloved.

Just my opinion though.

I just checked boxofficemojo.com, and Friday's estimate is approximately $11 million. My guess is that the film will make at least $30 million over the course of the holiday weekend. Not too shabby.

I just got back from it. Our theater was practically empty with only about 20 people there. Not a good sign, even for a Saturday Matinaee.

I actually liked it. You really feel bad for Michael. He just had a terrible childhood and who could blame him really? The throat slice is the death that got to me the most, but I didn't feel sorry for the guy one bit.

I saw it as Michael DID NOT want to kill Laurie at all. She was the only real person he liked (perhaps beside his mom). He just wanted to be with her again. Even after she stabbed him, I don't think he wanted to kill her, but just find her again (in the only way he knows how, through violence).

I felt that killing Loomis and the guard that was nice to him showed that he is quite evil/crazy though, even to these people that were so nice to him throughout his imprisonment. I kinda got a schizophrenic vibe when he said to Loomis that he didn't remember the killings. I was surprised that wasn't explored much further.

I thought the cinematography and camera angles were quite awesome. This surprised me since Zombie is a rocker, not a film student. Not bad at all for some guy that decided one day to start directing films :lol

Overall, I'd say it was a very good film. Obviously not as good as the classic, but certainly the best since H2. I hope Sideshow gives us a new Michael 14" figure this spooktacular. :D I'm now on the hunt for NECA's.

Just saw it, and I gotta say, it was like watching two movies; one terrible, one excellent.

The first twenty or so minutes was absolute garbage. Why does Michael have to be raised by white trash? Why does Judith have to be a slut, his mom have to be a stripper, and his step-dad have to be an abusive crazy? Resurrection, for all it's faults, at least made the point that nothing *made* Michael what he is, and to suggest otherwise would be a cheap joke. Why do you have to make excuses for evil? Michael is pure evil, plain and simple, why try to change that? And then, just when I thought the movie couldn't get any more cliche, they introduce the school bully.

Cue "Love Hurts" and an utterly pointless scene of Sheri stripping, and I'm ready to puke. I'm seriously ready to walk out at this point. I know my wife is probably loving it as she was telling me how Zombie's version is going to be one of, if not the horror event of lifetime. I look to my left to find that she is just as appalled as I am. I say "want to go?" and she says "I think so..."

That's when the killing (of the family) starts. I say "We'll stay for this, at least" If I said my interest was piqued at this point, I'd be lying, but it was alot better than the previous 20 minutes of garbage I was subjected to. There is no suspense, just brutal killings. Some black humor was forced in there involving the step-dad getting duct taped to his chair while sleeping, and Judith's boyfriend porking her while wearing the mask. If that's the best Zombie could come up with to explain where the mask came from and to weather it for the dirty look later in the movie, so be it, I guess I can deal with that. Even though this segment was a lot better than the previous, I was too annoyed by the setup to care. I'm ready to go.

What's this? Malcom McDowell as Loomis? I almost forgot. This movie could be saved yet. And to my surprise, and delight, it actually is! This is where I began to realize that Zombie wasn't trying to explain away Michael's evil with an abusive upbringing, he was just beating human Michael down to the point where he couldn't keep the monster inside a bay anymore. I don't think he killed animals because he was abused or was brought up wrong, I think he killed those animals to satisfy the beast inside him before the beast could call for human blood. I finally started to understand, but I still wish it was executed a little better so that I could enjoy the film from start to finish.

I couldn't believe a film that was absolute garbage not fifteen minutes ago, could show such signs of brilliance all of the sudden. In the asylum, the night janitor suggests to young Michael that "there are no walls inside your mind" was one perfect example of said brilliance. Michael looks inside himself and is then consumed by the beast. Michael is gone, there is only the Shape. I heard people complain when, later in the film, the Shape kills the janitor. They said "he was the only one that nice to him." I don't think they "got it," there was nothing human left of Michael, the shape of evil was acting on rage alone.

Years pass and Michael breaks out of the asylum and heads to Haddonfield. At this point, the movie ceases to be about Michael and focuses on Laurie. Laurie was brought up by decent folk, was a good kid, and had normal friends that any kid could have. This is where I think the "second" film starts.

You pretty much know the rest of the story, since Zombie doesn't stray from the original too much after this. He pretty much replaces the suspense of the original with brutal new-school style killings. The human Michael does eventually seem to fight back to the fore-front once the Shape finally captures Laurie. The question will forever remain in the viewer's mind: "Could Michael have prevailed over the Shape if Laurie hadn't stabbed him?" We'll never know, and that's the way it should be.

The casting was brilliant for all parts other than the Myers family. I daresay Laurie's friends were more likeable in this film than the original. There were a couple flaws in the cheerleader character I thought (why did she have a hippie scrub boyfriend?), but the acting was well below par for the slasher genre (below par is good for you non-golfers). The new Laurie was a great update to the character. Face it, Laurie Strode, as she was portrayed in the original, can not exist today. The new Laurie was far more believable for our time. Heck, I even thought the kids (Tommy and Lindsay) were a lot better than the original. As for Malcom McDowell as Loomis, I cannot say enough good things about him. He really shined in this role, and may be the only actor on this planet that could do the Loomis character justice. Don't even get me started on Brad Dourif as the Sherrif. Brilliant casting.

I do have one minor gripe about the Shape though. I can deal with the fact that he is now 80 bajillion feet tall. I can begrudgingly submit to the fact that he doesn't move like a slow mechanical killing robot. What I cannot swallow, however, is the fact that he grunts and makes noises when he's "doing his thing." I hope that aspect of the character is re-thought should Zombie or any other director choose to make a sequel.

The only *major* casting gripe I have is with that of Sheri Zombie as Michael's mother. She did okay through the majority of here scenes, but the exchange in the kitchen between her and crippled guy were painful. I'm talking a high school drama student could do better type painful.

When I watch a sequel, remake, or re-imagining, of a film like this I look for two things: How good is the score? and Did they screw up the look/feel of the monster/villian/bad guy? The story is secondary to me. That's just the nature of the slasher genre. The answer to the first question is: the score is very good. I feel (despite all it's other faults) Resurrection had the best score of the sequels, but Tyler Bates did a good job of mixing the classic theme with horror-type sounds and whatnot. As long as there's no guitar whine ala Halloween 6, ("whhhaaaaaa!!!! reeeeeeeeeer!!!!!!) I'm a happy camper. The answer to the second question: eh, he's different, but maybe he has to be. I'll reserve final judgement on that for the sequel.

I thought the story was great, I just feel the audience shouldn't be expected to think so much to find the story, especially in a slasher flick. I seriously think the story went over most people's heads. I hope I'm not coming off as conceited in saying that, I just don't think you can expect an audience to put the pieces together completely on their own. There had to be a better way to explain this. You might, at this point, point to the "perfect storm" speech that Loomis gave. To which I reply, it's not enough. This is slasher, things should be spelled out a little better.

Movie as a whole: 3 (out of 5)
First 20 minutes or so: -80 bajillion
Rest of the flick: 4

Okay, I'm done. If you read all that, thanks and I'm sorry for the length.

Clearly, Zombie is indicating that Michael is not purely evil. There is a trace of humanity left inside him.

Original Michael Myers - Evil personified, almost a force of nature

Remake Michael Myers - "Mere" psychopath

Depends. I liked the humanistic aspects because it made Myers more of a tragic character and much more creepy throughout. Michael Myers was a force of nature in the first but that isn't really translated well in modern audiences, my wife missed that subtile touch in the first one and she loves this genre. I think if and I hope they will, make a sequel to this Halloween that when we see Michael Myers again he will have transsended that last bit of humanity and become a killing machine, plus it'll be interesting to see just how the ending is handled since one thing I thought was how is Laurie going to deal with everything once she gets home and realizes what state its in. I think this film could actually set us up for a more brutal Michael Myers, a definite killing machine in the next possible film because the only thing he had connecting him to humanity would have betrayed him.

Also I hope that SSC does give us a Zombie Myers and I hope he is on a huge body....Tyler Mane definitely had goliath presence there.

Also am I the only one who'd like to see a couple of Lauries in this line as well? I'd love to get a Jamie Lee Curtis Laurie to go with the original release as well as a Scout Taylor-Compton version.

Saw it last night. Here are my 2 cents:

As it has been said before, the original HALLOWEEN is a classic, and is perfect for what it is. Let me say that I actually enjoyed the 2003 version of TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE, and saw it not as a straight-up remake, but more as another chapter in the franchise (sort of a TCM5).

I went into HALLOWEEN thinking the same thing. The movie feels like two films, as others have put it, and for the most part, the film feels like an actual prequel to the original.
The character development between Loomis and Michael was great and I really enjoyed watching Malcom McDowell, as he was no doubt the best part of the movie. And as awesome as Pleasance was in the orginal, dare I say it, I think I actually prefered McDowell in the role!

The second part in Haddonfield 15 years later, seemed more like a condensed/rushed through version of the events in the original film. The ending was kind of a dissapointment though, and made one wish Zombie could have wrapped everything up in this installment.

So, like I saw TCM 2003 as TCM5, I really consider H2007 as HALLOWEEN 9; just another entry in the long running franchise, that happens to be a prequel, with it's own creative differences.

I hope if Zombie directs HALLOWEEN 10, he gets another screenwriter to help him write some better dialogue. Other than that, he's a pretty good director, and he's passionate about what he does. I personally didn't like HO1000C, so I never saw TDR, but saw H9, because of Myers and the Halloween legacy, not because of Zombie. I thought as a writer, the dialogue wasn't so great, but he does get some good performances out of his actors and he did an overall decent job. As it is, H9 is better than most of the sequels, but doesn't have **** on Carpenter's original.

The best way to describe this film in short it

Halloween + Halloween 2 + Rob Zombie's original ideas

It really is more a reinvisioning than a remake since Zombie's story mixes elements from 2 as well as the first film, but since 2 was more of the one night, it's not totally crazy for Zombie to have incorporated that into the film.

As for the whole Michael never intending to kill Laurie, I'll agree with that at first. Michael's attachment to her from childhood first drives him to get her back and find some peace within himself, but much like Halloween 5 when he has a heart to heart with Jamie, in Zombie's Halloween, once Laurie stabs him and his chance and finding peace is lost, the rage to kill consumes him and even she isn't free from his wrath, he just doesn't kill her outright like others because he still feels for her.

I have a rather creepy experience to share the night after seeing Rob Zombie's Halloween. I got home just before 1:00 a.m. now tired me an my wife head for bed but I can't stop thinking of the film I just watched, thoughts racing through my mind I finally fall asleep at around 2-2:30.

I wake up (can't remember what time) look over at my wife which is sleeping on her side facing me and we had the window and blinds open enough for some moonlight to barely shine in. I turn on my side towards her and there appears Michael Myers pale white face.

I had to rub my eyes a few times but the image wouldn't go away, the pointy lips, thin eyebrows and most importantly the pale white face. I am more than half asleep so I didn't become to startled. I would say i starred at her (Blinking with blurred vision) for honestly 20-30 seconds and almost had to turn the lamp on before I could see straight.

Very Very Creepy!

I have a rather creepy experience to share the night after seeing Rob Zombie's Halloween. I got home just before 1:00 a.m. now tired me an my wife head for bed but I can't stop thinking of the film I just watched, thoughts racing through my mind I finally fall asleep at around 2-2:30.

I wake up (can't remember what time) look over at my wife which is sleeping on her side facing me and we had the window and blinds open enough for some moonlight to barely shine in. I turn on my side towards her and there appears Michael Myers pale white face.

I had to rub my eyes a few times but the image wouldn't go away, the pointy lips, thin eyebrows and most importantly the pale white face. I am more than half asleep so I didn't become to startled. I would say i starred at her (Blinking with blurred vision) for honestly 20-30 seconds and almost had to turn the lamp on before I could see straight.

Very Very Creepy!

Did you do acid before going to bed hehe. Seriously though a little creepy, but I've had similar happen and I think it's your unconscious mind playing catch up from sleep with your conscious so your dream and reality mix temporarily, I once saw skeletor's head coming out of my pillow once as a kid when I got up for a glass of juice.

The way my display shelves are set up in my room I've woken up to 'seeing' huge people standing over me :lol It always takes a second to remember its the shelves. Everyone is amazed I don't have nightmares with all the Sideshow horror figures next to the bed :lol

Thats nothing though, my brother has a Leatherface mask on top of his shelves, so it looks like a 10" Leatherface! :rotfl

As I watch Halloween 2 right now, it makes me appreciate Zombie detailing the lives of they Myers family. In Halloween 2, they discuss Laurie's adoption and it mentions the fate of Michael's parents for the first time, with them dying and her going up for adoption, with no explanation of their deaths. It's nice that Rob gave a story to explain a need for Laurie to be adopted and for no trace of the Myers family having any ties to Michael in his adult years.

I did not really care for it. I did not like what Rob did with the Micheal's personality. Micheal is EVIL not some crazy guy who just wants to see his sister.

However, now that I have seen it and know what to expect I may enjoy it a tad more with a second viewing.

P.S. I HATED young Micheal.

All Reuters Movie News
"Halloween" slashes holiday box office record
Sunday September 2 2:01 PM ET

A re-imagining of the classic slasher movie "Halloween" broke the record for a new release during the U.S. Labor Day holiday weekend, according to studio estimates issued on Sunday.

The movie, directed by rock star-turned-filmmaker Rob Zombie, earned about $26.5 million since opening on Friday, easily beating the rosiest predictions.

After two weekends at No. 1, the teen comedy "Superbad" slipped to No. 2 with $12.2 million for the three-day period.....Despite its success, the former Miramax Films chief doubted there would be another "Halloween" film.

"I never say never never ... but it would have to be something very, very different," he told Reuters.

The studio does plan to make two more movies with Zombie, whose real name is Rob Cummings. Zombie, 42, rose to fame in the 1990s at the helm of the heavy metal band White Zombie. He made his feature directing debut with 2003's "House of 1000 Corpses."

Its really unfortunate that there is no sequel in the works. I would have loved to see where Zombie would have gone.

Did you do acid before going to bed hehe. Seriously though a little creepy, but I've had similar happen and I think it's your unconscious mind playing catch up from sleep with your conscious so your dream and reality mix temporarily, I once saw skeletor's head coming out of my pillow once as a kid when I got up for a glass of juice.

Thats an intersting theory.......................I think you may be right. Skeletor? How old were you? :lol

I guess I shouldn't find it funny, I too was a He-Man nut when I was a kid.

Back