Grim future for Star Wars 1/6th?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing is for certain: a lot of those worthless Sideshow figures will slowly begin to increase in value as more and more people realize that they are not going to get another high-end Greedo or Hammerhead or Admiral Piett or Commander Praji.

I am quite new to 1/6 scale, the reasons being the ending of the vintage collection and the overall decrease in quality and distribution from Hasbro.
Rather than buy their 6inch offerings I decided that these SSC figures where far superior so bought quite a few in the past 6-8 months.

Regarding this new price hike, from my point of view Hot Toys joining the party has changed the whole landscape. When their involvement was first announced many spoke of dropping SS completely. The prices so far from HT are what was expected. The price of Luke X-Wing though was not. For me it all boils down to whether this figure genuinely can compete with the 3 reveals from HT, thus in some ways, justifying the price. The track record would sadly say no, but until the final production piece is wheeled out we won't know. SS releasing this new line of Movie Icons may suggest that they expect their Star Wars sales to decrease.

Would i pay what is £185 for X Wing Luke. I would like to say no, but then i once paid close to £20 for the early waves of episode 1 commtech figures and £35 for POTF2 Death Star Droid. Not my finest purchases!

My collection habit now revolves around trying to get a 'definative' of each character. Be that Hot Toys (most likely) or Sideshow.

One thing is for certain: a lot of those worthless Sideshow figures will slowly begin to increase in value as more and more people realize that they are not going to get another high-end Greedo or Hammerhead or Admiral Piett or Commander Praji.

Thats why it cracks me up all these elaborate HT wish lists....other then Iron Man....HT cant make more then a few choice characters per line...and when they do....they will cost $$$. Would you pay $300.00 for a HT snowtrooper considering how close SS got it already?

Far fetched? Look at BD Robocop.

HT just isnt going to do the expansive line SS did....and will keep doing hand in hand with thier HT partners.

Good news: we're going to get some really superior state-of-the-art core characters

Bad news: we're going to keep getting really superior state-of-the-art core characters until we're sick of it

If this is the price point we are going to have live with now in regards to SSC SW figures, I'll be done. not worth it.

Rambler...this IS the new price point we are going to have to live with....

Good news: we're going to get some really superior state-of-the-art core characters

Bad news: we're going to keep getting really superior state-of-the-art core characters until we're sick of it

Hit..on...the...head.

If there's no legitimate interest in buying, why whine (endlessly) about the price?

Honestly, "vocal minority" = "ardent buyers." .

There is a culture of complaining armchair quarterbacks on this board. This thread alone has folks inventing "facts" about the licensing agreements that are of course never backed up with anything. I'm not defending the prices or disputing anyone's speculation (I have no more knowledge than anyone else) but you can't deny the prevailing "this sucks" attitude around here. Being vocal is definitely not an indication of interest in buying anything. Go check out the Sleepy Hollow thread for the latest example.

There is a culture of complaining armchair quarterbacks on this board. This thread alone has folks inventing "facts" about the licensing agreements that are of course never backed up with anything. I'm not defending the prices or disputing anyone's speculation (I have no more knowledge than anyone else) but you can't deny the prevailing "this sucks" attitude around here. Being vocal is definitely not an indication of interest in buying anything. Go check out the Sleepy Hollow thread for the latest example.

No but SSC blowing out dozens of characters during spook is an indication that collectors were not paying that price before, so why would they start now?

Dozens was exaggerating, but all in stock items were decreased

Not all in stock items were reduced though. There were select items that got reduced but a lot of them seemed to be products that were slow moving and that Sideshow probably wanted to clear out

While I find it amusing that hundreds (thousands?) would return to boards daily to comment on figures they have zero interest in ever buying, I think - in truth, jokes aside - that would be the case in a small minority of masochistic members.

Though I will acknowledge that the psychological dynamic of thousands of men arguing over minute aspects of dolls is... complex... and prone to petty squabbles and self-loathing. And a general "shared loathing."

And to correct, I believe there was one folk who "invented facts" concerning licensing agreements in here and the Sleepy Hollow thread is Depp fans versus fans who want something other than endless Depp-Derp incarnations, in the context of a figure with a poor likeness.

Hot Toys figures with poor likeness are in fact better choices for lightning rods than copper. Honestly - ask at Home Depot.

While I find it amusing that hundreds (thousands?) would return to boards daily to comment on figures they have zero interest in ever buying, I think - in truth, jokes aside - that would be the case in a small minority of masochistic members.

Though I will acknowledge that the psychological dynamic of thousands of men arguing over minute aspects of dolls is... complex... and prone to petty squabbles and self-loathing. And a general "shared loathing."

And to correct, I believe there was one folk who "invented facts" concerning licensing agreements in here and the Sleepy Hollow thread is Depp fans versus fans who want something other than endless Depp-Derp incarnations, in the context of a figure with a poor likeness.

Hot Toys figures with poor likeness are in fact better choices for lightning rods than copper. Honestly - ask at Home Depot.

I was using current examples but speaking to a larger phenomenon here.

Even Hot Toys with great likenesses are lightning rods - if some members are upset that it's Stalone instead of Arnold, tux instead of casual, angry instead of smiling.

Happy people don't multi-post about their happiness. They just buy what they like. I often wonder if the squeakiest wheels on this board buy anything at all....they seem to enjoy nothing.

It used to be that the majority of posters were enjoying what was being offered. The majority now complain (and they are not the same people).

Alderaan shot first. :lol

Clever, but I think it's more like Separatists against the Republic. They wanted something better, and they got their Empire, but they don't want to pay the price. Only now, it's too late.

exciting times! a very much needed injection has occurred... sure, we will pay a little more, but companies know they will have to do a little more to get our cash.

I think SS is getting out of the 1/6th line. Handing it over to Hot Toys. SS will just take a cut for distribution in the U.S.
SS may concentrate more on Statues and Maquettes where they can justify the $$.
They should pick up the Mini bust line since nothing is happening at GG

we need SST for the more obscure 1:6 possibilities... perhaps licensing Walrus Man's likeness isn't as costly as licensing Luke's? perhaps offering Walrus Man and Evazan as a 2 pack will reduce fees?

i hope SST sticks in there with Star Wars 1:6... PS4 only gets better as Xbox makes strides... two companies pushing the envelope will lead to limitless potential...

"wipe them out. All of them!"

disney_empire_07_hd.jpg

The purge begins.

S

we need SST for the more obscure 1:6 possibilities... perhaps licensing Walrus Man's likeness isn't as costly as licensing Luke's? perhaps offering Walrus Man and Evazan as a 2 pack will reduce fees?

i hope SST sticks in there with Star Wars 1:6... PS4 only gets better as Xbox makes strides... two companies pushing the envelope will lead to limitless potential...

I did agree to the grim future label if we don't get the like of such characters.

Obviously the less complex figures should not be in the price range of Pilot Luke.

Back