Grail Diary Hero Prop Replica review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbl

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi guys,

First off I have to say that I am not related to Sarednab in any way. He did not ask me to write this. I just want to offer other people a chance to read my thoughts on this amazing item. Don't be to harsh on me since this is my first review.

History:

As an Indiana Jones fan I've started to collect the 1/6 series. I've really enjoyed this and as some of you know I've also modded my Indy's with the help of some of the board members (Mike Fisher, Rorywan, Guyver1, Murderofcrows71: thnx guys ;))

As my display case started to fill up I wanted more than just the 1/6 scale and that's how my interest in Replica's came about. I own a plated Idol (not sideshow, sorry to say, this one is better), the Grail, sideshow's dvd skull and the hasbro ark. I've recently bought the Grail Diary Hero Prop.

Obtaining the diary:

When I saw the prices I have to be honest, I lost my interest at first. But when I watched all the movies again I wanted to own a grail diary. I started reading all sorts of boards on the internet and I stumbled across Sarednab's replica website. According to many this is the best out there, but since I'ts a lot of money I wasn't convinced. I started comparing them to others. Then I decided to take a chance and sent him an email. Within the hour he responded and we agreed on the price. I am not going to mention the price, because I'd like to think I had a good deal :wink1:, but It's around the price on ebay. He is a great guy to deal with. If you have specific request he honors them as well. I did not have requests myself, but I read a lot of boardmembers were very happy. He always answers his email and a true Indy fan :). I contacted him on website. I paid through paypal.

Within 3 weeks I got my package. It arrived in a bubbled wrapped envelope and when I opened the package, inside was a package addressed to Prof. Indiana Jones of Barnett College. It has the brown paper of the film and it even has stamps. I opened it up inside was the grail diary.

First Impression:

Out of everything I own, including other franchises I collect this is the best replica I have. You look at it and I't just a small book. But when you start to read it in detail you are starting to realize two things. First: I am reading the freaking Henry Jones grail diary and it even smells old! Second: This IS worth the money I paid for it. I could imagine all the hard work that was put into it. The leather cover is aged, but not overdone. The paper has also been aged and although it is printed you hardly notice it due to the wonderfull work that has been put into it. It's overall quality is really high!

Detail:

I went for the Hero prop, because this is the most movie accurate version. There is also a story prop available which has Henry's story in it. In my version the handwriting seemed real although it was printed (Sarednab also mentions this himself). It is very dark for a print and that alone convinced me that this could have been written. The print is a 100 percent dark and a normal printer wouldn't do that. It takes a lot of skill to convince me on this, because I am a graphic designer myself (noted: upon very close inspection I can tell it's printed, but like I said it's my work to notice these things). It has all the things you would expect from the grail diary with all the maps, inserts etc. Each separate page is aged by itself so no page is the same. Again the aging skill is amazing. Even the inserts are aged in very high detail.

Overall it feels like a real diary. The binding itself is also amazing.

I have taken one picture of the diary in my display case. Here it is:

grail.jpg

Detailed pictured (mine almost looks the same) can be found here:
https://www.sarednabworldprops.com/eng/hero_graal.html

A movie of the diary can be seen here:
https://www.sarednabworldprops.com/eng/index.html

Sarednab's ebay:
https://feedback.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=sarednab_tj&ftab=AllFeedback&myworld=true

I'd like to recommend this prop to any Indy fan. Although the price is high, it's worth every penny. My girlfriend first responded to the high price :)mad:) until she actually saw the diary and even she thinks it's a great piece. She even thought it was handwritten :lol.

Best,

Robert

I have one of sarednab's story diaries. It really was a thrill when I received it and it was packaged up just like the real diary. Very surreal. Did you get the tablet rubbing with yours?

I'm very pleased with it with one caveat, it's bound so tightly, that I worry about breaking the binding when I open it to try and read it. I assume it will loosen up over time, but it's one of those things where I'm worried about doing damage to it.

I assume the feeling is much like having a $800 custom figure and wanting to play with it but worrying about breaking something off.

Your display is too cool. I wanted to get a grail too. Which version did you decide on?

Yeah it also features the rubbing. I totally love this prop. About the grail. I don't know i have. I bought of another member along with the idol.

Hi guys!
Thanks for your words and bbl thanks for your great and detailed review!
I love to see that my work is approached by people!

SwedishHeat don't worry! I bound diary in professional way. You can open it to 180° and it never break! It will seem "older", eheheh!

Thanks again to all!

I owned one of those at one time as well... had traded a bunch of custom work for it from another collector... very well done and interesting piece in the collection...

Can you please post some more pics which show the diary closer?

I am on the fence with this thing and need help in being convinced in the price.

You should visit sarednab's website. You can see the full diary there. Mine looks the same. Awesome piece. Recommend to any indy fan.

When see how much work it takes to age each page seperatly you'll know why it's 400. It is high, but i think it's wonderfull prop.

A lot of work does go into these. I made a story diary a few years ago and it took a lot of planning and practice. The whole process took about two years. To me, $400 seems like a fair price. Some Hot Toys cost more than that nowadays (iron Monger, gantry set with iron man).

Excellent Diary. I got mine last month, and it is.. exquisite! :) I had to hold back tears.. the smell alone made me feel like I was 5.. and then, a few days ago, i had the same experience when I held a very well done sankara stone.. pure bliss.

Highly recommend this diary to everyone. Best one out there, imho.

I had one of these as well a few years back and I can also vouch for the quality on these being unmatched. I've been thinking of picking one up again but can't decide between the hero and story so I've been holding off.

Back