GPS beacons?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPrime

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey all, so I don't want to come off as some kind of paranoid weirdo here, but we just had a high profile case in Canada about a guy who was trying to sell his truck, took two guys on a test drive, and went missing.

Well, today police found his remains. Guy was married, father of a little girl... https://news.nationalpost.com/2013/05/14/tim-bosma-found-dead/

I just wish we could fry the scum who did this up here. Unfortunately the best they'll get is life in prison...

Anyway, I've actually been thinking about this a lot since becoming a dad. I'm looking for advice on some relatively inexpensive GPS trackers that I can track using my iPhone. Just something to put in my car, maybe put in my daughter's bag when she starts going to school.

Also a bit curious as to the legalities of doing so, because I don't want to be accused of "spying" or anything. Just a precaution.

Anyone know anything about this? I did a google search but so far it's dominated by BS security companies that have monthly fees and what not. I'm thinking there must be some iPhone compatible devices out there... shouldn't be too expensive.

Hey all, so I don't want to come off as some kind of paranoid weirdo here, but we just had a high profile case in Canada about a guy who was trying to sell his truck, took two guys on a test drive, and went missing.

Well, today police found his remains. Guy was married, father of a little girl... https://news.nationalpost.com/2013/05/14/tim-bosma-found-dead/

I just wish we could fry the scum who did this up here. Unfortunately the best they'll get is life in prison...

Anyway, I've actually been thinking about this a lot since becoming a dad. I'm looking for advice on some relatively inexpensive GPS trackers that I can track using my iPhone. Just something to put in my car, maybe put in my daughter's bag when she starts going to school.

Also a bit curious as to the legalities of doing so, because I don't want to be accused of "spying" or anything. Just a precaution.

Anyone know anything about this? I did a google search but so far it's dominated by BS security companies that have monthly fees and what not. I'm thinking there must be some iPhone compatible devices out there... shouldn't be too expensive.

I'm pretty sure parents do this now. They are called black boxes I believe. They track speed and everything. You can pinpoint location and all that business. I think I saw it on 20/20. I would imagine there are fees for using this type of service.

I'm pretty sure parents do this now. They are called black boxes I believe. They track speed and everything. You can pinpoint location and all that business. I think I saw it on 20/20. I would imagine there are fees for using this type of service.

For some, definitely.

But there really shouldn't be. Using GPS satellites is free. The beacon itself shouldn't be expensive (they have them in iPhones, which are expensive of course, but that's just one part), and while I'm no programmer, I imagine there must be some beacons that come with a program for your phone or computer. There's really no need to charge a monthly fee for something, so while some companies would anyway, others must have recognized a market for a one-time buy sort of deal.

That guy must have never watched Deliverance. You don't ever go off with a couple strangers.....

That guy must have never watched Deliverance. You don't ever go off with a couple strangers.....

The GTA is pretty safe... But yeah.

If ever I decide to sell my car and drive along with a couple strangers, I'm in the back seat with a knife. Friggin' scumbags. :(

Back