Go Hero Sheena, Queen of the Jungle

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw the Snyder sculpted prototype at a show (NYCC). Thought they might have pictures of it on their website but it's not there. I have no idea who is doing their sculpts now. Last time I ask they said that the business relationship between themselves and Go Hero/Executive Replicas was over for the time being. While I like their sculpts I could care less who sculpts for the various companies as long as enough attention is paid to capturing the likeness.

I agree capturing Irish McCalla's likeness is important to its success.

The Sheena prototype will be at NYCC. If someone can post good pictures of her face. I sent them a photo that matches the dolls expression. Hopefully the Phicen sculptor will listen. Go Hero said it was a work in progress and that more sculpting will be done. So that's good.

Irish McCalla Phicen001.jpg

Based on the sneak preview on their newsletter they blew it. Both Irish and Bettie Page look too stylized. If you have a license to do a figure why in the world wouldn't you try to have a dead on likeness? Maybe the deal they have with Phichen to manufacture their figures has a clause in it that mandates the use of Phichen sculptors to do the prototypes. Will be interesting to see what all they reveal this weekend. Maybe this time around they can get more stuff produced instead of displaying a bunch of great prototypes that end up getting shelved.

I asked Go Hero if they could get Joy Snyder to resculpt but that is not possible. Steve of Go Hero does care. I did send a ton of reference photos and I superimposed Irish's face over the Phicen face transparently to show what needs to be corrected. The sides of her jaw need to be built up to square the jawline. Her unique cheekbones need to be built up. Her eyes need to be repainted. Her eyebrows needs to be broader and darkened. It's possible to get it to look like Irish but it depends on the sculptors talent and care.

Superimposed1411936000734.jpg

That kind of confirms my suspicions that they are locked in to only using Phicen sculptors. Which isn't very encouraging. Last time I spoke with Joy's husband he said that while they were no longer working with Go Hero/Executive Replicas that they still had a positive relationship with Steve at Go Hero. This isn't the first time I have heard of manufactures who are unwilling to go outside their regular talent pool to produce superior products. Still plenty of custom portrait sculptors out there providing alternatives if the licensed product falls short.

Steve told me Sheena will have revolving eyes and a swappable face. I guess it is using the Lady Action face system. Personally the revolving eyes are a low priority. Highest priority is the likeness. I think budget limitations stop them from a new second sculpt. But I think Irish McCalla will get a lot of attention so Phicen should put their best sculptor on it.

Yruh8n check this out. Their Sheena doesn't really look like Irish but their other doll does. Maybe a mix up?

With a little work repainting the eyes and maybe the cheekbones, the black bikini one looks a lot more like Irish.

DSCN08413.jpegDSCN08712.jpeg

DSCN08712.jpeg

Not seeing Irish in either one of those sculpts. She had a wider face and more pronounced jaw line. These sculpts remind me of Tonner dolls. They are attractive, but because they try and make the face symmetrical the likeness suffers. The hair is very distracting as well. I imagine it would be next to impossible to style 1/6th hair to look like Irish and get it to hold any length of time. The parties involved in producing these figures are good people and I wish them the best of luck.

20150130170318645-1.jpg The new Sheena resculpt prototype is a huge improvement in the right direction. Phicen posted photos but keep in mind it's still a work in progress and more face work has been done since this. I like they are still making it better.

The new Sheena resculpt prototype is a huge improvement in the right direction. Phicen posted photos but keep in mind it's still a work in progress and more face work has been done since this. I like they are still making it better.

That looks much better. If they fix the feet so she's not on her tip-toes with the high-heel sculpt, I'll buy this figure.

The Irish McCalla Sheena wore sandals. The standing photos looked really good. They were removed from the website but it was a fun sneak peak of the impressive progress they have made. And I like and appreciate that Go Hero and Phicen are fine tuning it to make it perfect. They haven't revealed the newest Sheena prototype yet so I'm even more excited to see it.

Back