Glow effect on Sauron must go! (according to a couple of people)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atheris

Super Freak
Reaction score
I really like this piece and I intend on ordering it. But SS you HAVE to get rid of the painted glow effect on this. You know their is no way the factory will be able to reproduce that effect without making it look like paint spatter from a toothbrush.

All this is going to do is aggravate me because I will have to pay a professional to paint it properly afterwards which I believe can be avoided.

A simple orange light glowing through the cracks of the base are more than enough to get the desired effect. It was corrected with the LSF Neytiri (which was a very good move and looks excellent) I dont see why it cant be added with this piece before it ships.

The painted glow effect looks very tacky. A lot of people already agree on that and is a sure way to destroy an amazing sculpt on a very high profile piece.

What scares me the most is that the orange paint along the front of the base will be applied so thick by the factory that it will end up looking like this
JFrinkCorsa290307_05.jpg

Even though this is very simple paint effect, the room for error is high if not done properly. Please do away with the painted glow effect, not just with this piece, but Galactus and anything else that this technique will ruin.

Their are enough cracks in the base to have a proper orange light installed and shine bright enough to have the glow effect look good.

Heres and example of a fellow freak (Averone) custom 1:2 street fighter pieces with light up bases similar to Saurons base.

DSC04142.jpg

DSC04093copy.jpg

Sauron has amazing detail and imposing size, it should be given its best chance for success. Lose the over spray!

Chris

Last edited:
Re: Glow effect on Sauron must go!

I'm posting my agreement. I won't pay a professional to repaint it or repaint it myself. As much as this piece will cost, I will choose to pass. It would be a much more difficult decision if this glow paint app wasn't used. Actually it wouldn't be a decision at all. I would pick this up in an instant were it not for the poorly decided glow effect. This effect couldn't be made better by a master painter and will ultimately end up even worse by the factory painters. This is disappointing. I won't have a Sauron to accompany the rest of my LOTR PF's. SS should make two different versions for this. One with glow paint and one without.

I agree, I they won't budge on the light up base....then don't paint the glow effect at all.

Chris

Please do the same with Galactus Maquette. No more overspray please on these high priced statues. It cheapens the look of it.

SS are you able to comment on this at all?

Chris

Doubt they will respond to this but I am sure they are reading it. Will they do anything is another story. I am praying they get rid of this gimmick overspray they do with any future releases. I hated my Ultron and I know it's going to cost me $200+ to repaint it. I preorder the Galactus maquette because I know ssc will probably never make another one. I am really hoping they listen and get rid of the overspray eyes. I can't afford to spend $$$$ of dollars and fix something that could be avoidable.

Both Sauron & Galactus has so much potential to be great. Make the right call & don't disappoint us SSC. We are ultimate the customers and can only support so much before we stop buying.

Last edited:

I think we are all unanimous in this decision. Lose the cheap paint effect. I LOLd at Chris' photo example. And what's worse is with Sideshow's crap factory paint workers, the likelihood of getting exactly that is almost 100%. See the joke that is Ultron.

I think we are all unanimous in this decision. Lose the cheap paint effect. I LOLd at Chris' photo example. And what's worse is with Sideshow's crap factory paint workers, the likelihood of getting exactly that is almost 100%. See the joke that is Ultron.

Hey bud.... don't know if you remember me at SF but how are you. Didn't know you are a member here....

Amen, Brother D! :goodpost:

Even if it is applied properly, the orange colour in a brightly lit room will just look like someone took a spray can to it and gave it a two tone color scheme.

The other part that bugs me is that the art work this statue is based off of doesn't nearly have the amount of orange shown spatterd on this statue. It's total overkill.

sauron_hi_res.jpg
300124_SauronPF_1813.jpg

Chris

Agree. I want to have option to display my Sauron flat black without glow effect on it, so light up base is the only way to go. Plus the level of orange painted is too much comparing to the art work.

Has anyone noticed the chainmail infront of his legs that hangs down to his ankles is missing on this statue?

B1357E15-E464-41CC-8306-A2263F1D9EF1-2084-0000024746C6AED0.jpg

B980C226-4397-450B-9FFE-BB34BFAA9FBB-2084-0000024759B5F72F.jpg

Costume used on set
sauron.jpg

Chris

Last edited:

I do agree about the light-up base.I will appreciate it and not regret with the choice I made if SSC make a change

Last edited:

I don't see what the big deal is. Sure the front of the base has an orange glow painted to represent the lava in Amon Amarth, but the statue is obviously lit up by an orange/red light in the photos making both the base and the statue have the effect. Having this under a white florescent or natural light would change the look completely.

I don't see what the big deal is. Sure the front of the base has an orange glow painted to represent the lava in Amon Amarth, but the statue is obviously lit up by an orange/red light in the photos making both the base and the statue have the effect. Having this under a white florescent or natural light would change the look completely.

I cant tell if your post is pro or against?

Chris

Back