GI Joe RESOLUTE: New PG-13 animated series for 2009!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: GI Joe ABSOLUTE: New PG-13 animated series for 2009!

From yojoe.com:

So they showed the new GIJoe animated series at the Convention today - I can honestly say, this is the GIJoe series we've been waiting for. This is aimed at the adult market, and is using some of the lead team that worked on Avatar: The Last Airbender. The animation was saw was incredible, and as they put it, this is the G.I.Joe battles that we all saw in our head when we were playing with our toys. It's got a gritty, modern anime look to it while still retaining the feel of an American animated show (unlike the kiddie anime crap that was Sigma Six).
- They've redesigned the characters, gear, and vehicles to be near-future, and they are all very recognizable as the characters we all know and love (similar outfits, color scheemes, etc but with an updated look). Lots of new weaponry and high-tech gear like the stratellite low-orbit baloon satellite.
- The team is based on a futuristic version of the USS Flagg, with a round Ops Center where the conning tower would be and multiple takoff runways.
- The show will focus on the core characters *CC, Destro, Baroness, Snake Eyes, Stormy, Duke, Flint, Roadblock, Lady Jaye, Scarlett, Ace, and Tunnel Rat inlcuded) but will have a lot of other Joes having cameo appearances.
- The initial run is 10 5-minute episodes, followed by a 10-minute episode, all likely released both on TV and on the web Q1 2009, with an eventual DVD release (a la Clone Wars). If it's successful, there will be more to come. There will be a toy line based on the series as well.
- Charlie Evans (Low-Light in the 80s cartoon) voices Cobra Commander, and the piece we saw had Steve Blum (Spike Spiegel on Cowboy Bebop and Mugen on Samuraii Champloo) as Duke. Lady Jaye will be more minor and have a Starbuck-like personality.
- The team behind it are all huge GIJoe fans and seem to be uncomprising on the core idea: PG=13-type rating, no lasers, no parachutes, and some characters will die.
- This is reflecting Hasbro's new directive of doing "Great entertainment" with their franchises, not just vehicles to sell more toys.
- The part about Cobra Commander clubbing a baby seal in the first episode was a joke. But he will be vicious and dangerous, not a bumbling fool like the old series.
- The 1-2 minute clip we saw was a proof-of-concept test and not part of the final story. There will be somethign of an origin tale here, though. Cobra will be the only enemy in the first run.
IT'S GONNA BE FREAKIN' SWEET!

It sounds great, but I really want to see pictures of this instead of more descriptions.
One thing I don't like is changing Lady Jaye to be more like BSG Starbuck, giving her what I think are not very feminine characteristics. I'd prefer she was kept closer to her original cartoon incarnation and not butched up anymore.

5-minute episodes? :horror

Pitu posted of video of himself taking a dump last week that was longer than that. :(

What's funny is that they're probably doing this to combat the live action film that they know is going to be a suckfest.

What's funny is that they're probably doing this to combat the live action film that they know is going to be a suckfest.

I think its very funny indeed that:

1. Out of the blue Hasbro is apparently pooling a ton of resources and talent into a new animated series.

and

2. It clearly has *nothing* to do with the big budget live-action movie coming out.

Why don't they just call the new cartoon "The Incredible GI Joe" or "GI Joe Begins." Its obviously the do over we all wanted. They're just doing it *before* the movie. :lol

This sounds really good but I'll wait till I actually see some footage until I make an opinion.

5 minute episodes though blow. :rolleyes:

It's the same kind of BS Lucasfilm gave us with Clone Wars. Why not just do a small run of full episodes to begin with?

It's the same kind of BS Lucasfilm gave us with Clone Wars. Why not just do a small run of full episodes to begin with?

The same reason why Lucasfilm and Cartoon Network went with the short micro-series format with the original CLONE WARS: It's an experiment. A "test run" of sorts to gauge critical reaction and viewership interest.

Animation isn't exactly cheap to produce, so this way mitigates risk. Afterall, compare stuff like this is being described to the majority of cartoons that are on the air today. Give Hasbro credit... it sounds like they're trying to break the mold and rattle some cages with this. And they already said that if it's successful that full-on episodes and seasons will be coming. :rock

Besides, sometimes the 5-minute format can be a blessing in disguise, because it FORCES the animators to focus on story.

The same reason why Lucasfilm and Cartoon Network went with the short micro-series format with the original CLONE WARS: It's an experiment. A "test run" of sorts to gauge critical reaction and viewership interest.

That's just an excuse.:rolleyes:

With GIJOE's fan base, theres no reason for not doing full episodes. The interest is already there. Hasbro has learned from it's mistakes from the Sigma and Valor vs. Venom cartoons. GIJOE isn't a "kids" line anymore. The overwhelmingly majority of the people who buy GIJOE products are collectors not kids. Hence, why the 25th Ann. line is geared toward collectors. This isn't '84 anymore. Why do you think the new series is PG-13??

Hasbro is just dropping the ball on this one. :(

That's just an excuse.:rolleyes:

With GIJOE's fan base, theres no reason for not doing full episodes. The interest is already there. Hasbro has learned from it's mistakes from the Sigma and Valor vs. Venom cartoons. GIJOE isn't a "kids" line anymore. The overwhelmingly majority of the people who buy GIJOE products are collectors not kids. Hence, why the 25th Ann. line is geared toward collectors. This isn't '84 anymore. Why do you think the new series is PG-13??

Hasbro is just dropping the ball on this one. :(

I don't see that G.I. Joes current fan base justifies making a full-on jump to this new vision of the cartoon. This is a much different storytelling style than the nobody-dies-and-all-the-bad-guys-are-moronic-clowns style that caters to children on Saturday morning. This is a style that is upgraded to appeal to a more mature audience. Hasbro and the studios making the cartoon are wise to test it's popularity. And, as Irish Jedi has mentioned, if they are successful, there will be full-length series installments to follow. So we will all get what we want as long as we are patient and let it happen.

More info from a convention goer posted at TNI Forums:

The animation looks great, it'd compare the backgrounds maybe something like Gundam Seed. As for the characters, more American looking than Japanese. The studio in Korea also did the Sunbow series. I only watch a few anime series, so I'm not sure what to compare it to.

As for the characters, they based them off of their original uniform colors, just a little more muted. The backgrounds will be darker, like shots in the Flagg and the Senate floor. The vehicles are actually designed from current and future military vehicle concepts.

Think Clone Wars action for the show. Here's some tidbits...
* They said there won't be a lot of political situations taking place.
* Duke is in charge
* No Devil's Due characters
* The Flagg is the main base
* Lady Jaye is more true to her original file card, more of a tom boy
* Some origin storys, like in the trailer Roadblock doesn't know who Snake Eyes is
* No mention on who Scarlett's love interest would be (Snake Eyes or Duke)
* IDW will have a comic based on the 'toon
* No laser blasts, you see shells flying out of the guns

I'm really liking everything I'm hearing about this. Now post that darn clip Hasbro! :tap

I agree, I think everything sounds great. I just hate the idea of love interests that deviate from the comics. Just stay with Baroness/Destro, Flint/Lady Jaye and Scarlett and SNAKE-EYES!!!
(....If at all.)

I agree, I think everything sounds great. I just hate the idea of love interests that deviate from the comics. Just stay with Baroness/Destro, Flint/Lady Jaye and Scarlett and SNAKE-EYES!!!
(....If at all.)

You said it. I like the whole relationship side of G.I. Joe; it was integral to the stories.

-Snake Eyes becoming disfigured to save Scarlet

-Baroness loving Destro but being loyal to COBRA Commander while the Commander plotted to kill Destro and vice versa

These were central conflicts to some of the best G.I. Joe stories I can remember. I would love to see this reflected in a cartoon that takes itself seriously. I am very excited for these short stories.

Oh, Lord! Please, NO LOVE STORIES. If I want to see love stories, I'll watch Days of Our Lives, or I'll spend some time watching LMN.

I just want to see G.I. Joe kicking C.O.B.R.A. butt with a few minor characters on the Joe side (that don't normally pull their weight) to make the great sacrifice for the team!

Oh, Lord! Please, NO LOVE STORIES. If I want to see love stories, I'll watch Days of Our Lives, or I'll spend some time watching LMN.

I just want to see G.I. Joe kicking C.O.B.R.A. butt with a few minor characters on the Joe side (that don't normally pull their weight) to make the great sacrifice for the team!

I have to agree, I never really cared for any of the love stories on GI Joe except for the Baroness and Destro one.
But if they start making full hour long shows, I wouldn't mind them occasionally.

The Snake Eyes/Scarlett relationship was actually very poignant when handled by Larry Hama.

Back