GI Joe movie WARNING SPOILERS!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But, but, we have to see this movie and have it be successful so that they'll make a second one and actually do it right... right?

Actually no---because then Hollywood execs will think people love the direction and take it a step further. (i.e. Batman Forever begat Batman & Robin)

Hopefully they'll Ang-Lee's-Hulk-it and we'll get a do-over 5 years down the road

:banana

this is a forum, it is made of opinions and text. here's mine.
The movie will Fail. HARD The screenwrites and directors are changing too much of the original dynamic, tying to hard to " put their spin on it" By doing that, the screenwriters, and the directors changes what people love about the movie. They feel that they "need to give the fans something new, so they will be suprised".
It's not what we want, we want the comics, or the cartoon, in movie format with real actors. ( This use of We is more intune with General fandom, not everyone) I've had this opinion eince the movie was announced.
At best, It will be a fun movie, a good action flic, just like X-men 3, what I like to call a "popcorn movie" ( IE it gives you an excuse to buy popcorn at the theatre) But that it. Like x-men 3 was NOT a good x-men movie, this film will not be a good GI Joe movie.
I'll still go see it, and like x-men 3, and AVP : R Once in the theatres on opening day will probobly be enough.
I just hope the movie toys don't fail SOO hard that it kills the Non-movie toys.

Too much was changed, it's going to be too different. it won't have the same feel as the comics nor the cartoon. How do I know this? The director himself said so.

" The movie is not going to have the same sort of feel as the comics or the movie, I'm aming for something more like Mission impossible 3 with ninja fights"

I won't be dissapointed, no matter what when i go see it, I'm expecting a Bucket 'O Fail. If I'm wrong, I'll be delighted, and If i'm right I'll be satisfied. No matter what, I doubt it will give me the same reaction as X3. I wanted to walk out, but i stayed hoping it would get better ( The "I want to Leave" point was when Jean kills Xavier).

For the record, this is how i approach all comic book movies, and other films about thngs from my childhood. the cases where i was suprised, and like it?

Spiderman 1
X-men 1
X2 (was acceptable, but not as good as the first, deviated a bit from the comics, but so did the first one, so it's ok)
Spawn

All i can think of off the top of my head.

A good example of a Comic book/ Cartoon movie that made the trasition to REal Film, and stayed fairly true to the comics, AND was a good film? Frakking Ninja Turtles. you hear that Hollywood? TAKE A LESSON FROM THE TURTLES! WE don't need updated storylines, or new character dynamics, Leave them alone, Pick a span of the comics, and condense it into a Move, and we will eat it up. the script is alreadsy there, just adapt it for film by writing it in script format.

It's like they HAVE to redo/add things (like copy ^^^^ from games/other movies) which turns it into almost something else entirely.

butt et iz teh c00lst!!!1!11!!

:monkey4

Whats worse is this is not G.I.Joe- a real american hero....its "real global hero" now.
everything has got to be globalized now just to make money...bottom line..this film, like everything else is about MONEY...Hollywood does not care about you or the fans or the concerns of the fans...they market things how they "think" people want it which why they will continue to destroy the properties we grew up on.

this is a forum, it is made of opinions and text. here's mine.
The movie will Fail. HARD The screenwrites and directors are changing too much of the original dynamic, tying to hard to " put their spin on it" By doing that, the screenwriters, and the directors changes what people love about the movie. They feel that they "need to give the fans something new, so they will be suprised".
It's not what we want, we want the comics, or the cartoon, in movie format with real actors. ( This use of We is more intune with General fandom, not everyone) I've had this opinion eince the movie was announced.
At best, It will be a fun movie, a good action flic, just like X-men 3, what I like to call a "popcorn movie" ( IE it gives you an excuse to buy popcorn at the theatre) But that it. Like x-men 3 was NOT a good x-men movie, this film will not be a good GI Joe movie.
I'll still go see it, and like x-men 3, and AVP : R Once in the theatres on opening day will probobly be enough.
I just hope the movie toys don't fail SOO hard that it kills the Non-movie toys.

Too much was changed, it's going to be too different. it won't have the same feel as the comics nor the cartoon. How do I know this? The director himself said so.

" The movie is not going to have the same sort of feel as the comics or the movie, I'm aming for something more like Mission impossible 3 with ninja fights"

I won't be dissapointed, no matter what when i go see it, I'm expecting a Bucket 'O Fail. If I'm wrong, I'll be delighted, and If i'm right I'll be satisfied. No matter what, I doubt it will give me the same reaction as X3. I wanted to walk out, but i stayed hoping it would get better ( The "I want to Leave" point was when Jean kills Xavier).

For the record, this is how i approach all comic book movies, and other films about thngs from my childhood. the cases where i was suprised, and like it?

Spiderman 1
X-men 1
X2 (was acceptable, but not as good as the first, deviated a bit from the comics, but so did the first one, so it's ok)
Spawn

All i can think of off the top of my head.

A good example of a Comic book/ Cartoon movie that made the trasition to REal Film, and stayed fairly true to the comics, AND was a good film? Frakking Ninja Turtles. you hear that Hollywood? TAKE A LESSON FROM THE TURTLES! WE don't need updated storylines, or new character dynamics, Leave them alone, Pick a span of the comics, and condense it into a Move, and we will eat it up. the script is alreadsy there, just adapt it for film by writing it in script format.

Actually the Ninja Turtle comic was much violent and dark than that all-age kiddy movie...Sin City is a good example of a great comic rendition into a movie .

Actually the Ninja Turtle comic was much violent and dark than that all-age kiddy movie...Sin City is a good example of a great comic rendition into a movie .

Indeed. 300 as well.

And I'm also confident that WATCHMEN will continue that trend.

Damn, this movie is gonna blow. Tons of great stories and characters and they give us damn wacky characters.

Going to be worse that that POS Spawn movie, if that is even possible.

upcoming-fail.jpg

Actually the whole "Nanomachine" storyline was used for the initial G.I. Joe "mini-series" by Devil's Due.

The story re-introduced G.I. Joe and COBRA. Cobra Commander had been in hiding for years after a joint International operation had taken down COBRA. The Commander hid with several terrorists groups, biding his time and even planting seeds amongst the members to join a "new COBRA". He eventually seeks out his old hierarchy to reform COBRA...which also causes the government to reinstate G.I. Joe. The Commander's plot involves using nanites to disable the US government. It also introduces the Neo-Vipers..HOWEVER...the Neo-Vipers are rarely ever USED or MENTIONED in the comics after this. It was basically something in there for Hasbro to sell toys.

You can read the issue summaries here. The first 4 issues are the G.I. Joe mini-series before it went monthly.
https://www.myuselessknowledge.com/joe/comics/gijissuev2.html

Exactly!!! The Ninja Turtles was a hardcore comic that was amazing to read especially considering the dark gritty nature of it combined with the black and white color scheme. I remember when the last CGI flick was being promoted they said it was going to go back to the originals, even Peter Laird said they were going to do that, then they all sold out and try to reinitiate the 90s Cartoon juggernaut. :nono

At least we are getting originals from NECA

Indeed. 300 as well.

And I'm also confident that WATCHMEN will continue that trend.

I pray because if the Watchmen for some reason looks like the Superfriends filmed over a Green Screen I'll be superpissed.

Back