Getting started on acrylic painting!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apax07

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Basically I am going to try and practice painting 1/6 head sculptures (sideshow/hottoys).....i have quite a few questions though lol...be nice por favor...just starting.

What acrylic paints do you recommend? (No budget)

What kind of sealer/protectant to be used between layers?

What primer do you recommend before starting?

How long should I wait before adding the next layer of paint? I'm assuming you let it dry first...?

Any tips and advice would be helpful! Thank you all!

P.S... IM NOT AIRBRUSHING! Good ol brushes

Go buy some Tamiya they're decent + readily available, I've never found need for sealers between coats, any primer should do, I use Testors out of a can, yes, let each coat dry before applying another or you'll just **** it up royally.

Good thing about Acrylics is if you hate the end result, dunk it in some Windex, 5 seconds with a toothbrush and no more paint.

Model painter, not a figure painter, but general advice still holds.

Tamiya are solvent based arent they?
I also use brushes only , i often find your better with expensive brushes over expensive paint.
Now windsor and newton series 7 sable brushes are amazing but very expensive and although water colur brushes
Work great with acrylic.
Now if you were painting on canvas i would suggest expensive paints with full natural pigment in them.
As with cheaper paints the pigment is often less and not as deep , but this only matters with reds and blues really and only matter when your buying
The likes of tubed artist grade paint like golden and liquitex.
Most of the time , blacks , browns and whites are the same no matter what brand.
But enough of my waffling , i would suggest Vallejo paints , come in a varied amount of colurs , well priced and brush on very well i prefer to add a dot of water as
Some out of the bottele can be thicker than others.
Games workshop paints are not bad , but they are expensive co pared to Vallejo and they dry with a satin finish were as Vallejo dry matt.
Inbetween i use a hairdryer and seal with humbrol matte or testors dullcote , im no expert but thats just my experiance im Sharing with you

Good luck

Back