Getting rid of smoke damage/black smudges

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sscalltheway

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey guys is there anything that I can do or put on my collectibles to get rid of smoke damage? It's not cigarette smoke but the thick black smoke from a house fire. I was able to salvage many Hot Toys Predators but every one of them is died black from the smoke and absolutely reaks of that thick smoke smell. I have been letting them air out for the past couple days. I know they will be worth next to nothing if I sold them so the least I could do is see I could salvage any to keep for myself. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. Almost all are HT Preds or Avengers. Also have the life size sideshow Scar Mask.

On a side note, my HT AVP Grid Alien and Brown Alien had there domes melted off, revealing their skull. I must give HT props for putting such detail into something that wouldn't have been seen clearly unless the Alien dome is cut/burned off. I was shocked at the detail.

Tbh, careful cleaning may get most of the gunk off but that smell will probably linger for years.. my sister had a house fire and the smell on the salvaged stuff meant she binned most of it.. the stuff she kept was easy to clean items, like cutlery.

Appreciate the kind words and advice. Cleaning the easy stuff is no worry but trying to clean these things while also monitoring the detail and the fact its a collectors item make it extremely hard.

Thanks again guys

Like spekerol, the rice thing (so I've heard) indeed does work. Sorry to hear about your predicament man. Hope to hear updates from you.

Everybody ok?, I lost my 21 year old brother to a house fire last year.

We used a restoration company to remove the smell from a few things. Photos, a family heirloom rocking chair and a few other things that had importance. I think they treated with ozone. Insurance should cover it.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your brother, Ataricade.. Stay safe peeps, make sure your smoke alarms (Monoxide as well) work and you know how to safely exit the building in a hurry.

Sorry to hear about your brother, Ataricade.. Stay safe peeps, make sure your smoke alarms (Monoxide as well) work and you know how to safely exit the building in a hurry.

Thanks and yup. His smoke detectors were not working. It may have made the difference.

Holy **** that's awful, I wouldn't know what I'd do if I lost all my stuff in a fire... where do you start again... or do you?

Sorry about your brother Araticade, thats awful to hear. Everybody made it out ok because of the smoke alarms. Very grateful for that. Going to try a couple of these suggestions. Whichever one works I will let everybody know.

Sorry about your brother Araticade, thats awful to hear. Everybody made it out ok because of the smoke alarms. Very grateful for that. Going to try a couple of these suggestions. Whichever one works I will let everybody know.

thats good to hear and thanks

Geez guys I'm so sorry to hear about both of your stories.
Especially you Ataricade.

Thanks man. He is now Our James Dean. He seriously lived a lot for His time here. He had been all over the country, tons of friends. good guy, great brother. Def the worlds loss and not just ours.

Back