Games with automated play throughs.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chimera 1

Super Freak
Reaction score
Would you buy a game that after you beat it you could watch an automated playthrough. I know games with great stories I would be willing to watch a flawless play through as if I was watching a movie. Bioshock is one that comes to mind. Just being able to watch the game the way it was intended where the action was seamless and done in the correct order. Another one would be Oblivion and then the silent hill series. I could watch them as long as the cutscenes were also seamlessly integrated into the action. But just a flawless play through to get the whole story and really enjoy the cinematic experience of it rather than the stop and start and restart, or the skipping of cut scenes to get back into the action.
What do you think? Are there any games you would like to see done that way?

You can go to youtube and watch rush playthroughs of the old Sonic and Zelda games and those are awesome

Metal Gear Solid. I honestly believe I enjoy watching it more than playing.

People have edited the game footage into a movie. I remember watching MGS 2. It's got a bit of in-game footage, but mostly just the cutscenes put together. It was something ridiculous like 4 hours long.

I remember cooking and eating dinner while watching the big expository cutscene in MGS4 where you meet up with Big Mama.

I'd like to see that with Red Dead Remption and Mass Effect 1 and 2. ME would be interesting to see what dialogue choices they choose.

If they can also add a developer commentary track, it'd be awesome. Portal had this feature, but without the automated playthrough.

I'd like to see that with Red Dead Remption and Mass Effect 1 and 2. ME would be interesting to see what dialogue choices they choose.

RDR story was so good it could be a classic novel. But instead it doesn't get acepted by lingusits because it's a video game.

RDR story was so good it could be a classic novel. But instead it doesn't get acepted by lingusits because it's a video game.

Solution: 2K should hire a good writer to adapt the game's story into a novel, like many other studios are doing.

You guys know John Millius is working as a writer and consultant for the story for the new THQ game Homefront? It's about a unified Korean army that invades and takes over the US. The game will be a first person shooter but very narrative and story heavy.

Solution: 2K should hire a good writer to adapt the game's story into a novel, like many other studios are doing.

I know a few games that have done that. Resident evil, Mass Effect (comic), Gears of War, Dragon Age, and I believe Elder Scrolls among others. There should be a Video Game Novel thread.

I know a few games that have done that. Resident evil, Mass Effect (comic), Gears of War, Dragon Age, and I believe Elder Scrolls among others. There should be a Video Game Novel thread.

I believe there have also been a couple of Mass Effect novels, too. Silent Hill has also had a number of comic mini-series produced to date.

Back on topic, any decent survival horror game would be interesting to watch as a linear movie. Silent Hill instantly springs to mind, as do the Resident Evil games, The Thing (totally underrated), Alan Wake, Dead Space, and so on.

However, I don't think it'd work too well for games like Red Dead, Elder Scrolls or the GTA series - the ability to select and choose which missions to do and in which order would make for a confusing narrative. You'd have to ignore the sidequests completely and concentrate exclusively on the story missions.

Many of these games have better story lines than most of the movies out to date. Even if they took the game and just did the main quests they would still be really good. There would probably be areas they could shave time off such as conversation selections, or searching for hidden items. They could do it in chapters, so it could be broken up into several viewings. I think spouses would benefit from this feature as well. "Honey, I have to finish this game so we can watch the movie" :1-1:

Not automated but freaking cool

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/OuNU4OWh0T8&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/OuNU4OWh0T8&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

This is an interesting question. I would say it would be a nice bonus if they included something like this but I wouldn't pay extra for it. There are lots of walk/run throughs on Youtube if you want to see others play the game.

Not automated but freaking cool

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/OuNU4OWh0T8&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/OuNU4OWh0T8&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Holy ____ that guys sick. I love that game, I may actually hook up my SNES tonite and play through. Watching him beat the first bosses upto the 10 min mark was pretty impressive.

Back