G.I. Joe: Classified 6" figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome figure. The scar is such a cool detail. BTW anyone notice with the Hasbro Youtube channel and Tubi Tv streaming the whole Joe series, how relevant the Cobra team look with their masks on? It's very Corona 21st century "wear your mask" and appears so current to today. Kind of interesting lol. Anyway, can't wait for the next set of figures to be released and the video game :clap

I?m surprised how good he is, I wasn?t too fussed about the line except for a couple of key figs from my childhood but I?m all in now! They?ve started appearing in UK shops now, I actually found a Snake Eyes in the wild this morning (photos incoming!).

I was watching some of the cartoon stream yesterday. It made me want the Cobra Commander ?hanky over the head? variant!

Wait there?s a video game??? :O

Bit if an 80s toy crossover going on here [emoji38]

ed9b6ca9b0f76d5e88d091b5fa2dbda4.jpg

966044527f5aa83c41087937a1b61295.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Checked my local Target and asked the department manager, she confirmed they have them right now but they will not put them out until the 14th. Luckily I have that day off so I'll try and snag them then.

Good info! I was at Target this past Friday and I didn't even see a spot for where these GI Joes would be/are so that coincides with maybe them not even having been released yet.

BTW, my only real negative so far on these figures is the lack of the dossier card. That's a Joe staple! Sorely missed.

That’s interesting people are reporting on here that Target is halting them from purchase when the you tubers say since the date from Hasbro was changed to aug 1 , they said if they told the Target employees that the release date was changed , they said they were able to purchase the exclusives.

Has anyone tried to tell the employee about the release date change from Hasbro officially :dunno

I did. They didn’t care. They were already aware as other collectors (or scalpers) had already approached them with the same inquiry and story.

Oh brother..I’m getting pissed with everything being street dated and an exclusive :gah:

Totally lucked into some Troopers thanks to a guy being a total bro and grabbing them out of the back for me.

14b1e9dd02028899b683763f9250b755.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hit up 5 Targets this weekend and ended up with 1 Roadblock. 3 Targets had spots labeled for the new figures but nothing on the pegs.

Had a change of luck. There's a second Target in my area that kept showing 6 in stock for Beach Head and the Cobra Trooper. Saw today that it dropped to 5 for each. Took an early lunch, shot over to Target, and found their inventory out on the shelves. Grabbed two Beach Heads and the remaining Cobra Troopers.

Edit: None of the Cobra Island Roadblock available though.

I saw four Roadblocks at one Target on Saturday and snagged two for my brother. I think I'll get the Cobra Trooper as well...saw a review on him and was very impressed. So sad to see Hasbro do such a GREAT job on G.I. Joe but their Marvel Legends are basically recycles of the same body molds. Ahh well, that's licensing and profits for you.

Same story as you all with the date mix-up's at other Targets. Also Target's system is wonky as you can see on some DPCI websites that they say "6 ON HAND" but as I was assisting a Target employee (a lady who clearly didn't know how to use her Target smartphone LRT) they can see THREE different statuses. These are "On Shelf", "In Back", and "On Hand". She claimed the "On Hand" could be an Order upcoming, as they had "0" next to "on shelf" and "in back" on her LRT. Hasbro and Target messed up...guess we'll see if they start loading them up on the 14th.

Yeah it's the same people that think Huey Lewis should still be ruling the Billboard Hot 100 35 years later. Hasbro has done a stunning job re-launching GI JOE for today's market. The 80's figures are great too but they're dated which is part of their charm. Everything has to evolve and the Joe relaunch is perfect IMO. I love the vibrant colors and sculpts and size. Also judging by the selling out of products and 98 percent of Youtube comments and thread comments, people are loving the Classified line. I can't wait to see more and am grateful Hasbro is giving so much love to GI JOE. They've done an incredible job

As a longtime Joefan (collected RAH, then the Hasbro "Relaunch" of JvC, Spytroops, VvV, then the 25th Anniversary stuff, etc.) who has been "off" the Joe-train for a while and is slowly grabbing some of the Classified line; I can pretty much confirm that MOST fans are very happy with the Classified Series. But you have small bands of fans that want everything as near realistic as possible...they want 'real' guns, no bright colors (back to traditional military colors), and little deviation in the traditional designs.

It was interesting to see the fan "groups" at the Joe Conventions (I attended two). You had the traditional 12" G.I. Joe fans (who also liked "Action Man" and that stuff) and then the "Real American Hero" fans. At this time, the focus was clearly on "RAH" and the successor lines and the community was pretty prolific with big support by Hasbro. That unfortunately died down in recent years until recently.

Anyways - there are two main issues with G.I. Joe: Its popularity (by fans)/support (by Hasbro) is too much of a roller-coaster AND it is a controversial toyline due to the military/terrorism links that tie to world events over the past 20+ years. Hasbro transitioning to brighter colors and "fake-ish" weaponry is their best attempt to capture the classic looks and styles without saying their "glorifying" war.

I'm sure what you'll see in due time is the same thing you've seen that happened in years' past. Customizers will makemolds based on "real" guns for your figures, and Hasbro, who recognizes the value of their long-time fans, will release some figures here-and-there based more on the "classic" designs..either as online exclusives or mixed in with a regular wave.

I guess the good thing is, despite mucking it up every once-in-a-while (Sigma Six? Rise of Cobra movie/figures?), Hasbro still keeps going with G.I. Joe. It's one of their longest and most popular toylines and helped make them the company they are today.

As a longtime Joefan (collected RAH, then the Hasbro "Relaunch" of JvC, Spytroops, VvV, then the 25th Anniversary stuff, etc.) who has been "off" the Joe-train for a while and is slowly grabbing some of the Classified line; I can pretty much confirm that MOST fans are very happy with the Classified Series. But you have small bands of fans that want everything as near realistic as possible...they want 'real' guns, no bright colors (back to traditional military colors), and little deviation in the traditional designs.

It was interesting to see the fan "groups" at the Joe Conventions (I attended two). You had the traditional 12" G.I. Joe fans (who also liked "Action Man" and that stuff) and then the "Real American Hero" fans. At this time, the focus was clearly on "RAH" and the successor lines and the community was pretty prolific with big support by Hasbro. That unfortunately died down in recent years until recently.

Anyways - there are two main issues with G.I. Joe: Its popularity (by fans)/support (by Hasbro) is too much of a roller-coaster AND it is a controversial toyline due to the military/terrorism links that tie to world events over the past 20+ years. Hasbro transitioning to brighter colors and "fake-ish" weaponry is their best attempt to capture the classic looks and styles without saying their "glorifying" war.

I'm sure what you'll see in due time is the same thing you've seen that happened in years' past. Customizers will makemolds based on "real" guns for your figures, and Hasbro, who recognizes the value of their long-time fans, will release some figures here-and-there based more on the "classic" designs..either as online exclusives or mixed in with a regular wave.

I guess the good thing is, despite mucking it up every once-in-a-while (Sigma Six? Rise of Cobra movie/figures?), Hasbro still keeps going with G.I. Joe. It's one of their longest and most popular toylines and helped make them the company they are today.

All valid points you've made. I noticed Hasbro has changed Cobra from "a ruthless terrorist organization" to "a ruthless criminal organization." All good, as long as GI JOE is getting love again. I really think the Classified line is the best stuff since Sideshow's 12 inch line and the original ARAH line. Like I said, all the mask-wearing on the Cobra side makes them quite relevant looking because of Corona 2020 lol. Great figures!

I?m surprised how good he is, I wasn?t too fussed about the line except for a couple of key figs from my childhood but I?m all in now! They?ve started appearing in UK shops now, I actually found a Snake Eyes in the wild this morning (photos incoming!).

I was watching some of the cartoon stream yesterday. It made me want the Cobra Commander ?hanky over the head? variant!

Wait there?s a video game??? :O

Video game for Gi Joe is coming in October I believe. Cannot wait!!! Gi Joe Operation Blackout :)

All valid points you've made. I noticed Hasbro has changed Cobra from "a ruthless terrorist organization" to "a ruthless criminal organization." All good, as long as GI JOE is getting love again. I really think the Classified line is the best stuff since Sideshow's 12 inch line and the original ARAH line. Like I said, all the mask-wearing on the Cobra side makes them quite relevant looking because of Corona 2020 lol. Great figures!

Yup! I think it has also been referred to as an "evil organization" as well. And lots of the terrorist elements are something that Hasbro has slowly stepped aside from (except in the comics, which are read mostly by adults)

Sideshow's 12-inch line was very well done (despite some issues with their figure bodies getting too loose too quickly)...but I think Sideshow failed to take several things into account and this is why the line didn't survive in the long run:

-THE SCALE DIVIDE: The Joe fandom is divided between the RAH 3.75" fans and the traditional old school 12" G.I.Joe/Action Man fans. Most RAH fans DO NOT CARE for the 12" scale (unless they collect other lines at that scale).

-PRICE POINT: RAH fans were used to spending between $2 (when they first came out in the late 80's) to $20 (Getting into CS 6" stuff) per figure (or figure two-pack when those were around). To suddenly expect them to pay over $100 for a 12-inch figure was surprising...especially if they weren't so educated on Sideshow products. Big bucks usually went to classic figures/vehicles/con exclusives for their collections...NOT a Sideshow figure.

-ARMY BUILDING/DIORAMA FAIL: Capitalizing on the army-builders, Sideshow made numerous variants of the Cobra Trooper and the Cobra Ninja. I don't think that panned out as well as they hoped. And as nice as the Figure Dioramas were, no one seemed interested to shelf out extra money on a diorama piece that was the SAME price as a figure.

-BORING CHARACTER DESIGNS (G.I. Joe side mostly): Aside from focusing too much on Cobra Army Builders the last couple years of the line, some of the Joe figures were just boring-looking aesthetically and Sideshow should've either picked OTHER characters or a later version of the figure. For example, I think Dusty and Rock 'n Roll's figures were the prototypical "army guy" and didn't have anything unique to them unlike characters like Gung-Ho (big marine with a huge USMC tattoo on his chest), Roadblock, etc. If they wanted to do Rock 'n Roll, I actually think his v2 figure is a MUCH better and more fun-looking design to blend in with the rest of the line.

The line was basically dead 4 years in...even though they spit out an updated Cobra Commander in the fifth year, but it was too late by then.

Yup! I think it has also been referred to as an "evil organization" as well. And lots of the terrorist elements are something that Hasbro has slowly stepped aside from (except in the comics, which are read mostly by adults)

Sideshow's 12-inch line was very well done (despite some issues with their figure bodies getting too loose too quickly)...but I think Sideshow failed to take several things into account and this is why the line didn't survive in the long run:

-THE SCALE DIVIDE: The Joe fandom is divided between the RAH 3.75" fans and the traditional old school 12" G.I.Joe/Action Man fans. Most RAH fans DO NOT CARE for the 12" scale (unless they collect other lines at that scale).

-PRICE POINT: RAH fans were used to spending between $2 (when they first came out in the late 80's) to $20 (Getting into CS 6" stuff) per figure (or figure two-pack when those were around). To suddenly expect them to pay over $100 for a 12-inch figure was surprising...especially if they weren't so educated on Sideshow products. Big bucks usually went to classic figures/vehicles/con exclusives for their collections...NOT a Sideshow figure.

-ARMY BUILDING/DIORAMA FAIL: Capitalizing on the army-builders, Sideshow made numerous variants of the Cobra Trooper and the Cobra Ninja. I don't think that panned out as well as they hoped. And as nice as the Figure Dioramas were, no one seemed interested to shelf out extra money on a diorama piece that was the SAME price as a figure.

-BORING CHARACTER DESIGNS (G.I. Joe side mostly): Aside from focusing too much on Cobra Army Builders the last couple years of the line, some of the Joe figures were just boring-looking aesthetically and Sideshow should've either picked OTHER characters or a later version of the figure. For example, I think Dusty and Rock 'n Roll's figures were the prototypical "army guy" and didn't have anything unique to them unlike characters like Gung-Ho (big marine with a huge USMC tattoo on his chest), Roadblock, etc. If they wanted to do Rock 'n Roll, I actually think his v2 figure is a MUCH better and more fun-looking design to blend in with the rest of the line.

The line was basically dead 4 years in...even though they spit out an updated Cobra Commander in the fifth year, but it was too late by then.

Good points. I only kept six of my Sideshow Gi Joe 1/6 figures over the years. They are:

1)Baroness
2)Cobra Commander
3)Destro
4)Firefly
5)Zartan
6)Storm Shadow Camo

The rest are cool but too expensive now. I love the line but the dioramas were a rip off when you can easily make one for yourself. I'll keep the six I have as I also have other 12 inch lines but the only Gi Joes/Cobras I'll collect from now on are the Hasbro Classified line. Way cheaper and six inch is much easier to display and affordable and for the price, they're truly beautiful figures.

As for Sideshow, all their Gi Joe figures looked sixty years old. I have no problem with that but Flint and Duke just looked way too harsh. Beachhead looked good though and aside from those, the entire Cobra gang were done very, very well. I used to hate the Destro 1/6, now I appreciate him and like what Sideshow did. He did wear that coat a few times in the ARAH cartoon. As for Commander, Firefly, Zartan, Baroness, Storm Shadow v2 1/6, they were all done incredibly well.

I do think Sideshow could make one smart one off return to their Joe 12 inch line and that is to make one new Storm Shadow v1 and one new Snake Eyes comic version when the movie comes out. The original Sideshow V1 Storm Shadow again looked sixty years old and I'd love to see them do a one off and just celebrate those two iconic characters for a display for new 1/6 collectors. No need to do the others again.

Until then, my dollars are going to the Joe Classified line and I can't wait for the next wave. So far, the sculpts look great and the characters look like they do on the leaked video game images. They also look like their original ARAH designs only modern and updated. I haven't been this excited for GI JOE since ARAH and I appreciate the modernized designs as we are in the 21st century. Hasbro is killing it this year and I'm thrilled for what's to come with the line. Hopefully we see some other vehicles too

Awesome figure. The scar is such a cool detail. BTW anyone notice with the Hasbro Youtube channel and Tubi Tv streaming the whole Joe series, how relevant the Cobra team look with their masks on? It's very Corona 21st century "wear your mask" and appears so current to today. Kind of interesting lol. Anyway, can't wait for the next set of figures to be released and the video game :clap

I've just binged the original RAH series not too long ago on Tubi. I've actually been catching up on a bunch of old cartoons on there. It's more exciting to me than what's on TV nowadays. It got me to go back and pick up old SS Joe figures I've always wanted but never got due to being caught up in HT. Currently customizing SS Zartan, but I managed to pick up most of the ones I've wanted at or slightly above retail surprisingly except for Flint...he was a little expensive, but he's my favorite Joe, so I had to do it. So altogether, now I've got V2 Cobra Commander, EX Flint, V2 Snake Eyes, V2 EX Storm Shadow and Zartan. I'm considering Lt. Falcon or Dusty, so I can have 3 Joes and 3 Cobras, if I can find them at good deals like the others.

Anywhoo, all of that has peaked my interest on this new Classified Joe line. Texas thankfully usually has good stock of figures and I've seen these regularly at the store, just haven't pulled the trigger on any. I'm shocked out how much each figure comes with let alone how good they look considering the lack of paint on current gen TF figures.

Last edited:

Ha, right - leave it to America to make something seem less bad to not upset too many (despite the fact that Cobra and it's agenda is evil, regardless of the label)! There's never been any mention about how fascist Cobra is either with their uniforms, propaganda, regalia, etc.

They do seem more of a criminal organization not being part of any nation or ideology (other than world domination) and with how they obtain their finances, and subvert through manipulative means.

Harsh critiques! Although not entirely unfounded.

That 12" Sideshow line revitalized the GI Joe spirit in me. Ever since growing up, I've found that 3 3/4" quite boring and underwhelming probably because of the scale. I get it, you are kind of locked into that size you can do the vehicles, but I needed a Renaissance to get me interested in the Joe brand again and that line did it for me, despite some lackluster designs, truncated license time and missing some key characters. I think that's why I like Classified: New scale, great MODERN designs of familiar characters and a continuation of maybe my favorite fictional property.

I've just binged the original RAH series not too long ago on Tubi. I've actually been catching up on a bunch of old cartoons on there. It's more exciting to me than what's on TV nowadays. It got me to go back and pick up old SS Joe figures I've always wanted but never got due to being caught up in HT. Currently customizing SS Zartan, but I managed to pick up most of the ones I've wanted at or slightly above retail surprisingly except for Flint...he was a little expensive, but he's my favorite Joe, so I had to do it. So altogether, now I've got V2 Cobra Commander, EX Flint, V2 Snake Eyes, V2 EX Storm Shadow and Zartan. I'm considering Lt. Falcon or Dusty, so I can have 3 Joes and 3 Cobras, if I can find them at good deals like the others.

Anywhoo, all of that has peaked my interest on this new Classified Joe line. Texas thankfully usually has good stock of figures and I've seen these regularly at the store, just haven't pulled the trigger on any. I'm shocked out how much each figure comes with let alone how good they look considering the lack of paint on current gen TF figures.

LOL there's something very comforting about going back to cartoons right now especially with all that's going on in the world. I have to check my local comic book store today as apparently they're getting in more Classified stock :pray:

Last edited:
Back