Future of renting games.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonny88

Super Freak
Reaction score
well l have been wondering about something that is at least happening here in Canada.

l used to rent games from Rogers Video (a big chain for games and movies). They shut down and are gone. So last time l had to rent a game l had to go to Blockbuster, which l don't like as much as the other place. Well they are going out of business now also. l just heard on the news the remaining Blockbusters that didn't close down will next year. So there is no where else to rent games. No little rental companies, those shut down also, off the top of my head l don't think EB Games rents. Am l doomed to use that Game Fly thing l think it's called where you get games in the mail, l hate that concept.

Anyone have any thoughts, were do you rent games, especially fellow Canadian gamers.

Last edited:
I usually buy the games I know I'll play to death like gears 3, or I just wait & get a used copy of the games I'll gamble on for $20

Last edited:
I think the last game I rented was for NES. I just buy what I know will be good on STEAM now.

Theres Canflix in Canada, similar to Netflix for gaming.

Theres Zip.Ca

i think they have games.

yeah i'll have to do some digging to see what other people around here do. l never really buy games. The only games l will buy this year is Skyrim and COD MWF3. All the others are just ones l would want to rent.

I used to only buy used games after they've been out for awhile. However, between sometimes disliking the game, and personal laziness (I can't count how many times I'd buy a game, play it for awhile, enjoy it, and then never touch it again without finishing it) I started using Gamefly. I haven't looked back since. Now, if I don't like a game then I can just send it back. Also, since I'm paying a monthly rental charge I tend to finish games that I do like more often.

I personally hate Gamefly. I've tried it several times since they've been around, and have never been happy with their delivery times. That and their definition of out of stock and low quantities available seem to be the same because I've had several games in my 1st que spot that didn't ship out even though it said low quantities.

Hah, renting games. I just buy them. granted, I wait till they're in the 20$ bin, but I'd rather buy one for the cost of renting 2

Hah, renting games. I just buy them. granted, I wait till they're in the 20$ bin, but I'd rather buy one for the cost of renting 2

You must wait a long time for a game then. The new games coming out won't be $20 for more then a couple years or more. l will never buy a game without playing it first, except the COD games. After a week l am usually done wiith 90% of games out there so buying for me is a waist of money. l rent games, but only buy the best ones out there with lots of replay value, and those games are few.

Game Fly was great when i was an avid game. The 3 games per month plan ensured I always had the newest and best games at my doorstep whren they released, and when you're done with 1 you just ship it off while having 2 more to play. before you finished the next 1 they had already received the 1s then shipped out a newer game.

Winning.

Being a fellow Canadian, I stopped renting video games and movies from Blockbuster and Rogers a LONG LONG LONG time ago... I guess I became very picky about my video games (and only buy certain ones that look good) and I usually buy my blu-rays or torrent them to stream on my TVs.

I predict that Apple may try to conduct some kind of rental service of games through iTunes, although it may be too big to download for some.

Its really hard to say what the future will be, the video game industry and the movie industry have now joined the music industry in their struggle to survive.

Back