Furiosa (May 24, 2024)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mad Max is more “legend” than strict blocks of time.

This may be closest to the truth. Being obsessive-compulsive about such things I just reached out to the comic scripter and even he didn't have any specific dates or timeline in mind. He deferred to George's "a few years from now" explanation.

The maddening thing is, the films themselves make references to dates and times...

His tattoo says 33 years (12,045 days) after the fall of society which was Road Warrior 1987 so Fury Road is 2020-2021.

The Furiosa trailer said she left the Green Place 45 years after the collapse, and the movie takes place over 15+ years, which puts FR 60+ years after the collapse.

So I'm now wondering if that 33 years is either his age or the time since the nuclear war?

Edit: Did the tattoo actually appear on film or just the concept art? If the latter it can probably be disregarded.

Last edited:
None of this would have be confusing if they had just kept Gibson.

Fury Road and this have nothing to do with the originals other than easter eggs and the vaguest of connections. Best not to bother yourself with trying to figure it out. It's a contemporary take on classic tells. Very contemporary.

Last edited:
It's kind of annoying that Miller himself says the reason for replacing Gibson was purely because he was too old, when Miller is even older.

Doesn't matter at this point though. I highly doubt Hardy will be back as Max any time soon due to his being "difficult".. oh wait, he'll be "too old" to do a prequel. Right.

This may be closest to the truth. Being obsessive-compulsive about such things I just reached out to the comic scripter and even he didn't have any specific dates or timeline in mind. He deferred to George's "a few years from now" explanation.

The maddening thing is, the films themselves make references to dates and times...

The Furiosa trailer said she left the Green Place 45 years after the collapse, and the movie takes place over 15+ years, which puts FR 60+ years after the collapse.

So I'm now wondering if that 33 years is either his age or the time since the nuclear war?

Edit: Did the tattoo actually appear on film or just the concept art? If the latter it can probably be disregarded.
In movie the one they give him.

Says “12,045 since” if i’m not mistaken something like that.

Spoiler Spoiler:

:panic:
Did you ever even watch Fury Road!?! :horror
:lecture

When Furiosa finds the remaining women of the green place again in FR one of them says "That's our Furiosa" thus implying that her name has always been Furiosa. :tap

:wink1:

Fury Road and Furiosa is set in the OG Mad Max timeline. But as Miller himself said before these are allegories and can be told in different ways. They are indeed camp fire stories/ legends told of a single Road Warrior just like "the man with no name" or a folk hero. So I always saw it as it's the same max and same world but they can be interpreted to be in different eras. The prequel comic for Fury Road that involves max was the same story (to a degree) of the 2015 video game. And that shows you that Tom's Max is Mel's Max or at least they share the same history from MM1 up until BT.

Don't get me wrong, I think Hardy has developed into an interesting actor and I like his work. I do feel he was a little out of place in Fury Road. Would I like to see him give Max another go? Absolutely. I like Fury Road more now than back in 2015. It was a little "too much" at the time.

The same thing apples to Daniel Craig as Bond. Initially, I wasn't on board when he started out. Over time, I honestly think he became one of the best Bond's. It took a little while, and a few rewatches, but by the time Skyfall came around, he was Bond.

A part of me so wants to see Gibson be given another chance. Make the comeback from the doldrums of geezer teasers. A small hope to see him return to the wasteland... oh wait, "hope is a mistake..." ****.

Last edited:
Miller in an interview recently said he never thought of a story with Mel now as an Older Max because he didn't have any ideas for it. Which is a shame because it would end the characters story finally and give his character closure. But I think this will be seen as a bond situation with newer younger actors keeping the legend of the Road Warrior going.

Fury Road and Furiosa is set in the OG Mad Max timeline. But as Miller himself said before these are allegories and can be told in different ways. They are indeed camp fire stories/ legends told of a single Road Warrior just like "the man with no name" or a folk hero. So I always saw it as it's the same max and same world but they can be interpreted to be in different eras. The prequel comic for Fury Road that involves max was the same story (to a degree) of the 2015 video game. And that shows you that Tom's Max is Mel's Max or at least they share the same history from MM1 up until BT.

I guess all we need to know if they're all the same timeline and dates and times no longer matter. Also I hadn't noticed before but in the comics they made OT Max look like Hardy (though he still resembles Gibson in places).

co9PUj7XFVMjvlkgMFwPWmUlINJFpoYtQH35AQhp-YZRKlgwkpD9_yGuWlW6G8xJHNe01mndno5m=s0

8_pcQY-i9fddrpfOdbuhbgEXyQKehXPfflPFmrZhm3ZYsghoSXegz3Zo-43y7uJziLH1Xd5rHb83=s0

4gFk7MHpognAcV0A227u0IBByF03hVZ4ilHZq9HfJuzmOebA7jZC0deimhqK7g2iEmhETLBxPeZx=s0

Spoiler Spoiler:

Miller in an interview recently said he never thought of a story with Mel now as an Older Max because he didn't have any ideas for it. Which is a shame because it would end the characters story finally and give his character closure. But I think this will be seen as a bond situation with newer younger actors keeping the legend of the Road Warrior going.
Eh, after Indy, Han, Luke, Deckard, Rambo, and Keaton Batman, the novelty of bringing back iconic characters in their 60s and 70s has kinda worn off for me. I much prefer the approach Miller is taking with these new movies.

Plus I'm just not sure a late-60s Mel Gibson would have looked as believable running around at the same crazy, frenetic pace or climbing around a moving War Rig the way Hardy was able to in FR.

I guess all we need to know if they're all the same timeline and dates and times no longer matter. Also I hadn't noticed before but in the comics they made OT Max look like Hardy (though he still resembles Gibson in places).

Spoiler Spoiler:
Yeah this confirms that in Miller's mind he's the same Max and that the time doesn't matter since they are stories told differently.

Eh, after Indy, Han, Luke, Deckard, Rambo, and Keaton Batman, the novelty of bringing back iconic characters in their 60s and 70s has kinda worn off for me. I much prefer the approach Miller is taking with these new movies.

Plus I'm just not sure a late-60s Mel Gibson would have looked as believable running around at the same crazy, frenetic pace or climbing around a moving War Rig the way Hardy was able to in FR.
Yeah he mentioned that also as he believed that the idea is to continue telling stories of Max and his world, they can do a lot with this universe and Max especially because so many villains in the franchise are such amazing characters. Toecutter, Wez, Hummungus, Master Blaster, Immortan Joe, Dementus are all great additions to the world and I also hope we see more Anti Hero characters now similar to Furiosa being a new protagonist in the world and had a relationship with it's main hero.

Spoiler Spoiler:
That's what happens when you trace over film footage.

Back