Funny or Serious Freddy Krueger debate

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Believe it or not, he was an icon to kids during the 80's...you could call the Freddy Hotline...

I prefer "serious" Freddy from the first film. Truthfully ANOES 1,2,3, and Freddy's Dead are the only ones I like in the series and the only reason I like FD is because it doesn't take itself seriously and you knew right from the beginning it was gonna be more comical than anything else.

Yeah I have to say, once he became a comedian...I was no longer watching. The first film was good, and the 2nd film was decent, but started to stray already. After the 2nd film I dont remember much from them cause I barely watched them. Personally I think his characters ruined FvJ. Not that it was a great film, but I mean Jason was kicking ass and then here comes Freddy with is corny pinball sound effects and onelines to ruin the day... His finest moment there was his appearance as "demon" freddy.

I would say its not so much a question of serious or funny freddy but just the direction turn the series took after part 2 due to the growing popularity of freddy in the 1980's.

The series bascially went from him being a menacing killer that stalks, haunts his victims in the shadows and dreamlike imagery to lets be honest a bit farcical things happening like him fighting a guy who was an expert in 'karate' (karate being the big thing in the 80's). It just got a little ridiculous. When freddy started to do things like this the series for me anyway lost its charm. If he could turn people into pizza's and bugs and kill them outright by squashing and eating then it was just more megalomanical then menacing or sinister. Freddy cracking jokes during or after each kill just made it seem even more farcical. The plot's also got more and more ridiculous which obviously didn't help either.

Its like they said hey lets think of the most over the top ways to kill people and throw in some wise cracking jokes, some flavour of the day antics and make an entire movie out of it.

Its funny because i think exactly the same thing that happened with the hellraiser series. First 2 movies in the shadows menacing a single(or two) victim silently and great to watch, the rest they turn into maniac's pumping out the body count of random victims just for screen kills. I always think when horror movies go from one on one encounters(always the most scary) to killing people en masse i.e the nightclub scene and taking on the local police force in hellraiser 3 it's just a sign the scriptwriters have run out of ideas. It also doesn't help establish empathy for victims when you have some random nightcluber or teen you never even seen or have introduced killed by hellraiser or freddy for no reason then just for another screenkill.

I much preferred the earlier incarnation of freddy from the first 2 films.

Last edited:
Freddy Kruegar basically became a comedian in part 4. In 2 and 3 he still had a dark edge to him but in 4 he was funny. I actually remember watching it in the movie during it released and most people was saying it wasnt scary but funny. Then again a killer with a personality was new. Well a brand new gimmick at the time. I prefer for Fred to be a dark sadistic killer after all he is a child killer.

for me it would have to be the 1st movie, he had really dark humor. he loves what he does, he feeds on it. that is creepy!!! dark humor as in cutting himself, little giggles and smirks, wearing tinas face, and his dialoge "gonna get you". this stuff and dark humor was abandond in the sequels.

I would definitely err on the serious side... but I think some sarcasm/dark humor could be good. I would just be worried it would go over the top and be more of a groan-worthy performance than it should be.

Back