Frustrating experience with the 1:1 combat endoskeleton statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turtle

Super Freak
Reaction score
After going through 2 defective statues (1st one leaned to one side, 2nd one had a damaged hip due to fitment issue), I receive a 3rd one with this on the hip section:

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0079.jpg

DSC_0078.jpg

And a crack on the base to go along with it:
DSC_0090.jpg

I was told "the photo of the starburst area doesn’t appear to be a defect with the piece. There is a level of weathering and distress that is intentional on this item." Somehow, I just don't buy it. All the weathering effect was done with the black paint. What is odd is that the last three hips sent to me did not have the same unique chunk missing weathering effect. Moreover, the 1:1 combat endoskull bust I have also didn't have this unique chunk missing weathering effect. I have heard from others that these combat versions are repainted customer returned clean pieces. It wasn't apparent with the 1st two pieces, but now with the way this piece arrived, I am beginning to believe it.

So now its either I take the piece with the defects and get a $150 discount, or get a refund on the piece, given Sideshow "don’t believe we will be able to provide a replacement that you will find satisfactory." What to do. I have emailed them again noting I rather have a replacement. I am also going to talk to my dealer regarding the issue. Hope it all works out.

Last edited:
Perfection in this hobby is an impossibility. If you haven't been a collector for long it's hard to handle this fact but in time you must or you will drive yourself crazy.

You can count yourself lucky that Sideshow even tried 3 times. Their quality control is poop. I can't tell you how many things I have just returned an item and just opted for a refund. What I do know is just order sparingly- cancel more than anything because I just don't enjoy dealing with items that are flawed, damaged, or defective.

Spending so much on this 1:1 is what is probably driving you crazy. Return it, go out to eat, and just think about how you won't have to worry about such a huge burden of a collectible. That's what I would do anyway. :lol

That just looks like an impact point that caused the starburst. Looks cool to me. Now as for the crack in the base is it just in the paint or all the way into the polystone? That does suck but as Rory stated NOTHING is gonna be PERFECT and on a piece that huge I would just keep it and be grateful not more is damaged on it given SS quality control record.

After going through 2 defective statues (1st one leaned to one side, 2nd one had a damaged hip due to fitment issue), I receive a 3rd one with this on the hip section:

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0079.jpg

DSC_0078.jpg

And a crack on the base to go along with it:
DSC_0090.jpg

I was told "the photo of the starburst area doesn’t appear to be a defect with the piece. There is a level of weathering and distress that is intentional on this item." Somehow, I just don't buy it. All the weathering effect was done with the black paint. What is odd is that the last three hips sent to me did not have the same unique chunk missing weathering effect. Moreover, the 1:1 combat endoskull bust I have also didn't have this unique chunk missing weathering effect. I have heard from others that these combat versions are repainted customer returned clean pieces. It wasn't apparent with the 1st two pieces, but now with the way this piece arrived, I am beginning to believe it.

So now its either I take the piece with the defects and get a $150 discount, or get a refund on the piece, given Sideshow "don’t believe we will be able to provide a replacement that you will find satisfactory." What to do. I have emailed them again noting I rather have a replacement. I am also going to talk to my dealer regarding the issue. Hope it all works out.

I'm pretty picky, but then again, I try to be logical..

Hip "blast" mark/chip looks cool, unless you plan to clean the whole statue (and I wouldn't do that), I wouldn't care about it at all, looks quite original.
Crack in a base isn't something I'd be happy about, but then again, it's the back of the base, so I'd leave it.

I would keep this statue if these are only problems with it (again, for the price payed, it should be perfect, but if you want replacement, you could get something more damaged, and refund wouldn't be an options as I probably couldn't force myself into letting it go once I have it in my room!)

The blast mark seems like it was from a previous paint chip issue, possibliy bubbling up. It looks like they took a razor to it, as vertical and horizontal cut marks can be seen. If indeed iit bubbled up in the past, in time it may actully peel like the IM bust or the darkness bust.

As for the crack, I worry it may crack some more as the piece age. Last thing I want is for the thing to fall apart in a year or so, especially when it costs $6,000.

I'm gonna go with "You're being a bit TOO picky with this piece".

The others may have had legitimate problems.
But this one is not worth bothering over.

The blast mark seems like it was from a previous paint chip issue, possibliy bubbling up. It looks like they took a razor to it, as vertical and horizontal cut marks can be seen. If indeed iit bubbled up in the past, in time it may actully peel like the IM bust or the darkness bust.

As for the crack, I worry it may crack some more as the piece age. Last thing I want is for the thing to fall apart in a year or so, especially when it costs $6,000.

We aren't seeing it in person, so have to defer to what you're seeing. But with a crosshair mark in the exact center of a starburst blast - I can't see how it's not intentional. The physical damage gives credibility to the paint op of the starburst.

I will say one thing in your defense bro... Not many of us have dropped 6K on a single collectible so I understand how you are going over the piece with a finetooth comb and discovering things that may not perfect with the statue and it's bothering you. Its understandable. That being said... The impact mark center of the starburst is very accurate looking and acceptable in my opinion and I actually like it. As for the crack in the back of the base you never answered if its in the paint or deep into the polystone. You could probably squirt some super glue into the crack and stop it from ever spreading. Just a thought. AWESOME GRAIL PIECE to say the lease. Wish I had one:D Mike

Perfection in this hobby is an impossibility. If you haven't been a collector for long it's hard to handle this fact but in time you must or you will drive yourself crazy.

You can count yourself lucky that Sideshow even tried 3 times. Their quality control is poop. I can't tell you how many things I have just returned an item and just opted for a refund. What I do know is just order sparingly- cancel more than anything because I just don't enjoy dealing with items that are flawed, damaged, or defective.

Spending so much on this 1:1 is what is probably driving you crazy. Return it, go out to eat, and just think about how you won't have to worry about such a huge burden of a collectible. That's what I would do anyway. :lol

I concur! :lecture:lecture

Shoot with the kind of money we fork over for some of their stuff, you'd think they use some of that money and improve their quality control. Every time you buy a bust of a statue it's always a roll of dice.

Its true no piece is perfect.

well mine has the same thing-
leg3.jpg

I guess its even more apparent after cleaning it..
but it really doesn't bug me at all.

Its true no piece is perfect.

well mine has the same thing-
leg3.jpg

I guess its even more apparent after cleaning it..
but it really doesn't bug me at all.

Wow didn't even notice that from the other pics till now. I'm sure it could be fixed no? If not it's really not that noticeable.

You can't touch-up chrome.
So there isn't anything they could actually do to fill this hole!

But think about it, it is a Terminator :D They aren't meant to look perfectly clean :p

Only problem I see is, if it's a bad chrome job, trough time, it can chip, and the damage will grow, chrome might even start peeling.

funny thing is most of the time these prop replicas, in general, typically look way better than the actual props that were used in the films.
Lighting hides a lot on screen.
many times real props are almost laughable out of their element.

Most of the times, yes, but that's not the case with the Stan Winston Studio!
Terminator Endoskeleton is well developed and so far, in my opinion, no replica looked better then the screen used puppet!

My lifesize terminator has the same mark on the knee. it is supose to be "battle damaged" also you are never gonna get a 100% perfect statue so there is no point trying.

you will have to be less picky or do without the statue lol

Back