Force awakens lines: Any long term value in collecting?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNguns

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Hello everyone.
This is my 1st post in this forum.

* Please don't bash me for this question.

Do you guys think there is any long term true value in collecting any of these Force Awakens lines?
I don't ask this because I am a "hater". In fact I'm just the opposite.

I ask because I look back @ my previous collections. And when compared to ebay there realy has been no increase in value to the complete series.
For example I have the entire line of ROTS 3.75" figures. Including all variants. You can still find the entire collection online and on ebay for minimal increased value.

With so many people collecting figures now. Do you think any of these lines will increase in value because there are so many collectors out there?

Ultimately I would like to hand down all my collections of thing to my kids. They are now only 6mos and 2 yrs old.
Going back to the ROTS and POTF collections. I must have 5-6 40+gallon rubbermaid containers full. I honestly dont want 2+ more containers taking up space.

Thank you

Honestly, I doubt it. No SW collectible with the modern line will come close the classic Kenner type years....but ultimately, hard to say right now - they've already released or about to release a bunch of stormies - so I say 'low value' to them beyond fun factor. Ren will definitely get a 2.0 so low. Fin probably not. Maybe the Rey and BB-8 two pack. That seems like a moderate chance.

for me, I base it all on fun factor.

None, whatsoever. The market is saturated, and charging for an arm and a leg.

Honestly, I doubt it. No SW collectible with the modern line will come close the classic Kenner type years....but ultimately, hard to say right now - they've already released or about to release a bunch of stormies - so I say 'low value' to them beyond fun factor. Ren will definitely get a 2.0 so low. Fin probably not. Maybe the Rey and BB-8 two pack. That seems like a moderate chance.

for me, I base it all on fun factor.

Same. I'm not collecting for the hope of increased value.

This sort of threads make me really sad...

Are you really just collecting for the sake of investment? If so, there are better forms of investments.

You should just collect because you like something, not because it's worth it.

As for your question, worth is in the eye of the beholder. If you try to sell a $300 doll to a regular person, she'll just laugh at you in the face, and rightly so. Now try to sell the same thing to a fellow collector who missed it for twice the price you bought it and he'll jump in your arms...

My advice? Stock exchange suits you best for investment.

My opinion from years of figure collecting stemming back to the days of LJN wrestling figures is that the leadt desired now will be most desired down the road.

Its not always the case but ive seen some former pegwarmers be the biggest seller

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Are you really just collecting for the sake of investment? If so, there are better forms of investments.
My advice? Stock exchange suits you best for investment.

I suggest gold!
DONALDS_GOLD_MINE.png

Honestly the 3.75" figures are...just toys. Its fine if you enjoy collecting them, its a nice hobby to share with your kids. To get them into collecting something you both care about. But truthfully I don't give a damn about those things. They're trinkets. :dunno

When the HT figures are costing 200+, you think people are going to drop serious cash on Hasbro toys? Maybe the original toys from the 70's but not the new ones. And you know Disney is going to flood the market. I expect TFA toys to pretty much have the same value as the prequel trilogy has right now. Perhaps the Legos will go up in value if you keep those mint in box, its always hard to find old lego sets unopened.

Thanks everyone.
No I'm not in this collecting to make a profit
I DO do it for the fun of collecting. Cool to say and tell my son 1 day "here you go. This is the entire collection of .... your dad collected for you 30 years ago".

I absolutely agree with all of what you guys have said. I just wanted confirmation and hear it from someone else.

Lastnight after watching the movie for the 2nd time I decided to collect this line. There are so many lines out there I could not decide which to collect. So I decided just to get the basic 3.75" figure.
Although I am thinking of collecting the 12" or 6" line because it seems there are fewer to collect making my collecting not take up so much room.

So I stopped @ wa-lmart lastnight to start collecting.
I had no clue what variants are out there. So I did a quick search. They (wal-mart) had 2 figures called "edrad" (?) forgive me Im not familiar with this charecter. I believe he is from the animated series. 2 with the helmet off. So I grabbed those. And a Kylo Ren who has 2 of the same hands. They had 2 of these so I figured it wasn't anything uncommon but I grabbed one.

They employee was also opening a box. She told me that everyone is buying the storm trooper that is red. She said it is a wal-mart exclusive. She also said that wal-mart is not supposed to put them on the shelves. She said the box says to put on the shelves in March. But they are doing it anyways. She said each store or box only get something like 12. So I grabbed 4 hoping she knew what she was talking about.

So I don't know if any of these are special. I'm hoping the red storm trooper wal-mart is selling is something special.

* Early April fools guy. The Ren does not have 2 right arms. Just wanted to see if you all were paying attention. Evil joke I know.

Thanks everyone

Mass produced = No!

Buy things you love to look at and display them with pride.

Buying and keeping in mint condition for potential profit isn't collecting, that's investing and as said there are much better ways to invest.

No way they will hold any value long term. People may think in 30-40 years they will be like Kenner Toys but the difference is there will be 1000s more in mint condition. I am still amazed how often much old Kenner Toys can be found in mint condition considering how few people collected toys back then. I never remember having a hard time finding figures like today you might never find a tier one character on a peg.

I kick myself for spending $ on the PTOF2 stuff when I could have probably had a huge Vintage collection for not much more.

Yeah, if you want to consider value, factor in supply vs. anticipated demand. Disney and its partners (Hasbro, LEGO, Hot Toys, and the like) is going to produce the **** out of these toys, and we'll get similar variants and even re-releases when subsequent films come out. Having said that, I won't give you the knee jerk, "don't be stupid! These won't be worth a plug nickel in a year's time!" speech. Reason being, there are a couple of areas where I can imagine prices going up down the road. The first is with LEGO sets. If there is something distinctive from this film being made as LEGO, it's possible that it won't get a re-release later. And even with high supply LEGO sets tend to do well on the aftermarket with more popular franchises. The second is potentially with high end stuff like Hot Toys. Troopers? Probably not. And it's very possible we'll get a bunch more Reys, Finns, Kylos, etc. down the road. But say we were to get old man Han. . .that one might be worth picking up and holding on to.

Guys I was'nt intending to collect for future value or profit. I was simply wondering "if" there would be any potential value.
I do love this. And I would do it for satisfaction.

I just wanted to know before I start hoarding my basement with a full line.

I'm wondering if I might be more interested in collecting exclusive and variant figures alone.

PS:

Can anyone tell me if that red storm trooper from wal-mart 6" exclusive I got is in any demand. I only ask because I bought 4. If not I would return 3 and use that $ for others.

Thanks again everyone

Can anyone tell me if that red storm trooper from wal-mart 6" exclusive I got is in any demand. I only ask because I bought 4. If not I would return 3 and use that $ for others.

Why do you care about demand if you didn't buy them for future value or profit?

They're from Battlefront. If you haven't played Battlefront and don't know where the trooper is even from, then maybe you don't want four of this trooper.

The Force Awakens Figures will be worth exactly what The Phantom Menace Figures are worth: What you paid for them and usually less.

Collect for fun not for profit.

If you see a Star Wars logo on something, buy it.

You'll thank me later when years from now you will write your on book and have a infomercial on how you build your fortune buying and selling Star Wars toys, and you are gonna tell people how they can to.

For those hoping their collection will one day end up in their children homes, you may want to reconsider. Close friend of mine just unloaded his because his son had no interest in it at all. You have been warned :lol

Guys I was'nt intending to collect for future value or profit. I was simply wondering "if" there would be any potential value.
. . .
2OygqHn.gif

For those hoping their collection will one day end up in their children homes, you may want to reconsider. Close friend of mine just unloaded his because his son had no interest in it at all. You have been warned :lol

Yeah, the notion that our kids are want all our crap is a bit silly. There may be a very very small few that will be interested in Dad's/Mom's collections, but most would just see it as a huge burden to have to pack/store/sell/give away. Whatever value that's left in the figures mostly won't be worth it. With how much product is being made right now and how many are keeping MISB, there just isn't really going to be the crazy vintage market in the future. Sure, there will be the odd piece or two that is highly valuable, but which ones no one can predict.

Everyone collects nowadays so I doubt any significant value increase. Nobody collected toys in the 70's and 80's so finding 70's and 80's mint in mint package makes them rare and valuable because there are not very many of them(plus nolstalgia).

Back