For those of you who watch the UFC

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of the dislike for Hughes comes from his time as a coach for The Ultimate Fighter show. He came off looking like an arrogant jerk. But they seem to always portray one of the coaches this way to build up the competition. Hughes is probably one of the more solid fighters. I personally like St. Pierre's style of fighting. Hughes can be boring at time but he is solid and he is great at the submission and ground and pound techniques.

its a fine line for Hughes.
id heard others mention in the past he's a little arrogant, but didnt really see it myself until the season of Ultimate Fighter when he started talking trash across a public restaurant to GSP while GSP was minding his own business like he always does. There were a couple times Hughes' arrogance comes out in that season.
I know what some are thinking "He's just trying to get in his opponent's head", but the way I see it, if youre supposed to be the best, why do you need to get in your opponents head? youre at the top, thats all the mental edge you need. Plus GSP doesnt resort to such tactics, he lets his actions speak for him.

That said, I do think Hughes is one of the best out there and overall he's a nice, honest fighter, but GSP just shows more class than Hughes IMO, so when it comes time to pick between those 2, its a tough decision, but GSP gets my vote, based on character alone.

Plus you cant possibly think Hughes is the best. There were MANY of his fights where he was on the verge of defeat and being outclassed and pulled one out of his arse with a submission out of nowhere. and yes, thats what makes him good. but thos matches also showed it was only a matter of time before he went down.

Im just happy for the great competition in that weight class. I dont care who's fighting. Im watching!

occulum said:
its a fine line for Hughes.
id heard others mention in the past he's a little arrogant, but didnt really see it myself until the season of Ultimate Fighter when he started talking trash across a public restaurant to GSP while GSP was minding his own business like he always does. There were a couple times Hughes' arrogance comes out in that season.
I know what some are thinking "He's just trying to get in his opponent's head", but the way I see it, if youre supposed to be the best, why do you need to get in your opponents head? youre at the top, thats all the mental edge you need. Plus GSP doesnt resort to such tactics, he lets his actions speak for him.

That said, I do think Hughes is one of the best out there and overall he's a nice, honest fighter, but GSP just shows more class than Hughes IMO, so when it comes time to pick between those 2, its a tough decision, but GSP gets my vote, based on character alone.

Plus you cant possibly think Hughes is the best. There were MANY of his fights where he was on the verge of defeat and being outclassed and pulled one out of his arse with a submission out of nowhere. and yes, thats what makes him good. but thos matches also showed it was only a matter of time before he went down.

Im just happy for the great competition in that weight class. I dont care who's fighting. Im watching!

I probably couldn't have said it better, I agree with 100% of what you said. GSP just has leaps and bounds more class and my respect than Matt Hughes. I could compare Matt Hughes and Tito Ortiz to the same kind of behavior before a fight. Just the in your head type of stuff, but the difference is that after the fight, Tito stops the act. Hughes just seems to not stop, which to me, seems to think that he is really like that. I may not like Tito, but I can respect him, but no way for Hughes.

I don't know guys, come on, this is a sport. Even Michael Jordan comes off as arrogant, Kobe Bryant, Mike Tyson, Terrel Owens. Just to name a few people from different worlds.

It's part of the game, and I don't think you can soley judge a person by their arrogance or "confidence". Truth is, it does take an extreme amount of confidence to do these types of things and put yourself out there on a constant basis. Its such a competetive sport, and I think that there has always been an underlying dislike between Hughes/St Pierre. If I remember correctly, after Hughes defeated St Pierre the first time, St Pierre started talking trash that he gave Hughes too much respect etc.

Im all for humbleness as you all are, but I can understand why these act the way they do. For one, it makes for good television and "rivalrys" are what brings in the crowds. secondly, maybe it's not about getting into your opponents head, maybe it's getting your own head where it needs to be before a big fight.

It's not about thinking Hughes is the best, but he's proven himself time and time again. Thats all there is, everything else is speculation. You don't know for a fact that he would have lost....the only thing you know is that he didnt lose, whether or not he was on the edge or severely losing on the score cards. How many times has Michael Jordan "almost lost and should have lost" but then made the clutch shot to win the game? Does that make him any less of a champion because of it?

Conger, LOL @ your Tito Ortiz comparisson. IMO there's no one worse than Tito Ortiz in terms of "antics". What type of person would sign a contract and back out a day before the fight?

If the UFC were the iron chef competitions, then maybe i'd agree that arrogance makes for a bad person. :D

Last edited:
nash said:
It's part of the game, and I don't think you can soley judge a person by their arrogance or "confidence". Truth is, it does take an extreme amount of confidence to do these types of things and put yourself out there on a constant basis. Its such a competetive sport, and I think that there has always been an underlying dislike between Hughes/St Pierre. If I remember correctly, after Hughes defeated St Pierre the first time, St Pierre started talking trash that he gave Hughes too much respect etc.
youre right!
its a sport where men beat each other up. To think theres going to be no confidence / arrogance is not realistic.
I had forgotten about that time, GSP trash-talked to Hughes and Hughes got upset. GSP immediately apologized to Hughes afterwards though. it was obvious to me GSP was not trying to really talk trash, he was trying to hype the fight. The funniest part about that whole incident was the fact that Hughes got upset at all. This was AFTER he did the restaurant thing to GSP. What did he expect?

and its not that I dont like Hughes. I might pick Hughes in every other fight. Im just saying that when Im forced to choose between him & GSP, thats why Id choose GSP.

Im really lookin forward to the next year or so of fights between those 4 fighters. no matter which ones fight and no matter who wins.

true true.

I think that GSP gives the weight class a lot of dynamics because of his explosive style. Im all for anyone with talent because Ive seen one too many UFC fights that were just boring as hell. I know that watching a GSP or Hughes fight that it probably wont be boring.

Aside from the topic for a second, was anyone else THRILLED as I was that Diego Sanchez lost to Koscheck? Ive never liked Diego, I always felt that his winning streak and intro into the UFC was fueled with way too many unmatched fighters for him. and come on...the guy said that it's his "destiny" to retire undefeated in the UFC.... haha that's such a bold unrealistic statement. that's like saying you'll never get old.

You guys reminded me of a reason why I don't like matt hughes. You mentioned that GSP was talking trash after the BJ Penn fight. Well that was certainly to set up the hype for the GSP/Hughes fight. Hughes obviously knew this and still acted like an A$$ after GSP said those things. He KNEW it was an act and still acted like himself and had the gall to loop upset and "hurt" when GSP said it. So he can give it, but can't take it, even when it's not real (GSP would never do anything like that on his own). urrrrrrg.

nash said:
Aside from the topic for a second, was anyone else THRILLED as I was that Diego Sanchez lost to Koscheck? Ive never liked Diego, I always felt that his winning streak and intro into the UFC was fueled with way too many unmatched fighters for him. and come on...the guy said that it's his "destiny" to retire undefeated in the UFC.... haha that's such a bold unrealistic statement. that's like saying you'll never get old.

Diego was always over-rated as a fighter. In these competitions, it would be impossible for someone to go undefeated unless it is rigged. It takes just one lucky punch or a good submission to end a match.

BrianK said:
In these competitions, it would be impossible for someone to go undefeated unless it is rigged. It takes just one lucky punch or a good submission to end a match.

Matt Serra agrees with you..............................

That is what I like the most about these fights. Anyone can win. Just because a person maybe a better technical fighter, it does not ensure that they will win the match.

Yeah I'm friggin' stoked!!!! Yay!!!!!!!

Lol - "Everyone has a plan until they get hit."

Made me laugh and I squirted Capri Sun fruit punch on my shirt! :(

whoops, i thought it came on at 9 central (another hour). thanks for the heads-up! ufc rocks!

Yeah...yeesh...didn't see that coming! He almost got his head kicked off! Cro Cop was in trouble the second it hit the ground...shoulda thrown flames from his trunks.:emperor

Back