(FLOSI'S Cantina) "Where everybody knows your name..."

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think anyone explained the entire story, so I shall in great detail... We were all going to see TFA, obviously. We wanted to see it in 2D. Gibby selected the AMC, and there was a 4:00 2D showing. However, there weren't any seats left other than front row, and a wheelchair section. We discussed going to a different theater which had a later 2D showtime. But I recommended going upstairs to ask about the wheelchair seats (we were at kiosks at first). They confirmed upstairs that the wheelchair seats weren't real seats, just spaces for wheelchairs to go, so that killed our plans for the 4:00 show. So we considered going to the other theater, which had a 5:45pm 2D show, or just stay where we were and see the 3D at 5:00. We finally opted to stay, and see 3D, even though none of us wanted 3D.

Once in the lobby, most of us got concessions. We could have gone into the theater at that point, but fury decided he wanted some candy. So he got back in line, and I joined him. We got up to the front, and fury ordered his Twix. While standing there paying, he nudges me to look behind me. I do, and nearly chit my pants. After I pick my jaw up from the floor, I turn around and call Steve to come over. He comes over, and is like, "what?" Then I casually point at George. Steve stands there frozen, like a deer in headlights.

After we composed ourselves, we impatiently waited for George and Melody to finish ordering their concessions. And then I pounced into action! I asked George if he'd mind posing for a photo. He actually kinda refused! He said something like "well, our movie is starting soon, so we need to go." I said "this will only take a second", and stood next to him to pose. I wasn't taking no for an answer! Fury took the pic, and then we changed places. We kept it simple and quick, using fury's iPhone to take all of the photos. After fury went, Steve jumped in and said "I'm with them!" Then he got his photo. Ben and Gibby didn't go over there, unfortunately, but Gibby confronted him from the other side, and got to shake his hand before George ran off into the theater. He's the only one of us who shook his hand. I did try to, but George either didn't see, or he snubbed me. I'm still not sure which! :lol I would have loved to get an autograph, but I honestly didn't want to bother the man. I was satisfied with a photo. And it would have been kinda rude to ask him to sign a ticket stub for a Star Wars movie that he didn't make! :lol But that's the only thing I had on me that he could have signed...

A few minutes later, his bodyguard came back out to order more concessions for them. I think George was scared to come back out. :lol He was wearing a Vader shirt. He complemented me on my SW jacket. Then he said something which blew our minds. He has never seen ANY Of the SW films!!! He was only wearing the shirt cuz it was free! He was a tall black guy around 30 years old I'd say. And he never saw SW, even though he works for Lucas. Wow. Just wow...

So anyway, there was a lot of things which needed to occur for our chance meeting. If Gibby hadn't picked that theater, we would have missed Lucas. If we went to the planned 4:00 show, we probably would have missed Lucas. If we had gone to the other theater with the later 2D showing, we would have missed Lucas. If fury hadn't decided to get more concessions, we probably would have missed Lucas. The Force was definitely strong with us that day!!!

Enjoyed reading all the deets, Ken. :) So what was George seeing anyway??

A few minutes later, his bodyguard came back out to order more concessions for them. I think George was scared to come back out. :lol He was wearing a Vader shirt. He complemented me on my SW jacket. Then he said something which blew our minds. He has never seen ANY Of the SW films!!! He was only wearing the shirt cuz it was free! He was a tall black guy around 30 years old I'd say. And he never saw SW, even though he works for Lucas. Wow. Just wow...

That guy should be fired. :lol

Enjoyed reading all the deets, Ken. :) So what was George seeing anyway??

I think fury said it was Daddy's Home. :horror

I don't think anyone explained the entire story, so I shall in great detail... We were all going to see TFA, obviously. We wanted to see it in 2D. Gibby selected the AMC, and there was a 4:00 2D showing. However, there weren't any seats left other than front row, and a wheelchair section. We discussed going to a different theater which had a later 2D showtime. But I recommended going upstairs to ask about the wheelchair seats (we were at kiosks at first). They confirmed upstairs that the wheelchair seats weren't real seats, just spaces for wheelchairs to go, so that killed our plans for the 4:00 show. So we considered going to the other theater, which had a 5:45pm 2D show, or just stay where we were and see the 3D at 5:00. We finally opted to stay, and see 3D, even though none of us wanted 3D.

Once in the lobby, most of us got concessions. We could have gone into the theater at that point, but fury decided he wanted some candy. So he got back in line, and I joined him. We got up to the front, and fury ordered his Twix. While standing there paying, he nudges me to look behind me. I do, and nearly chit my pants. After I pick my jaw up from the floor, I turn around and call Steve to come over. He comes over, and is like, "what?" Then I casually point at George. Steve stands there frozen, like a deer in headlights.

After we composed ourselves, we impatiently waited for George and Melody to finish ordering their concessions. And then I pounced into action! I asked George if he'd mind posing for a photo. He actually kinda refused! He said something like "well, our movie is starting soon, so we need to go." I said "this will only take a second", and stood next to him to pose. I wasn't taking no for an answer! Fury took the pic, and then we changed places. We kept it simple and quick, using fury's iPhone to take all of the photos. After fury went, Steve jumped in and said "I'm with them!" Then he got his photo. Ben and Gibby didn't go over there, unfortunately, but Gibby confronted him from the other side, and got to shake his hand before George ran off into the theater. He's the only one of us who shook his hand. I did try to, but George either didn't see, or he snubbed me. I'm still not sure which! :lol I would have loved to get an autograph, but I honestly didn't want to bother the man. I was satisfied with a photo. And it would have been kinda rude to ask him to sign a ticket stub for a Star Wars movie that he didn't make! :lol But that's the only thing I had on me that he could have signed...

So anyway, there was a lot of things which needed to occur for our chance meeting. If Gibby hadn't picked that theater, we would have missed Lucas. If we went to the planned 4:00 show, we probably would have missed Lucas. If we had gone to the other theater with the later 2D showing, we would have missed Lucas. If fury hadn't decided to get more concessions, we probably would have missed Lucas. The Force was definitely strong with us that day!!!

Not only that, the two groups of us were about an hour away from each other to start... Me, Gibby, and Ben on one side of Chicago and fury and Ken on the other. fury and Ken wanted us to head to Midway where their hotel was, but Gibby said the theatres there had bad crowds so said they should get on a train and head downtown somewhere and we'd pick them up.

As for me frozen like a deer in headlights... that is exactly what it was like... however, in my brain it was scanning everything like the terminator sees... scanned his face and it matched the records on file, scanned the blue plaid shirt that matched, jacket matched, white beard - check, glasses - check, approximate age and height check... possible cosplayer ratio now down to 15% probability... scanned surroundings and saw the body guard... cosplayer ratio at 0%. Identity confirmed! Subject acquired... George Lucas! :lol

So I did what anyone else would've done in that situation... I ran away! :lol I ran back to Gibby and Ben and said.... look... look who is over by Ken!!
Gibby looked over...eyes widened... "No?!... No.... is it?.... no... that's Lucas!" I said yeah it is. turned around and saw fury getting a pic with him so I darted over and next to George and said, "Hi I'm with them do you mind if I get a quick pic too?" and was in there for a pic before I could get a no. haha.

He would have smacked you since he let someone else make American Graffiti 2 and call it More American Graffiti ! :thwak:

This is why I don't meet people :lol

Welcome home :grouphug:

Free, like the rest of us.

dobby-a-free-elf-selfie.jpg

Har har har. What's new is...

I met George Lucas today!!!

I don't think I'd have this big of a giddy grin on my face standing next to a wax George. It was the real deal Waller.
IMG_0095.jpg

Is Lucas an actual cartoon character? He is wearing the same thing in all of his photos :lol

Just for clarification on a couple of things....

#1....
I saw the creator before punk came over.
The second handler said "he doesn't like pictures" while you guys were getting pictures. :lol

and #2 -

That theater was hand picked for a specific purpose...a lottery chance if you will.
Homework was done, contacts were contacted....
Thank God it all worked out. :lol

ps, and if I was in a bitchy and snappy mood prior to the theater, I apologize, but hopefully you now all understand why. :)

#1....
The second handler said "he doesn't like pictures" while you guys were getting pictures. :lol

and #2 -

That theater was hand picked for a specific purpose...a lottery chance if you will.

ps, and if I was in a bitchy and snappy mood prior to the theater, I apologize, but hopefully you now all understand why. :)

Yeah, You're old and crotchety like Lucas. We get it.

That is such a fantastic story! Gibby, are you saying that you knew (or heavily suspected) Lucas would be there?!?

I wonder if Lucas was seeing TFA! Maybe it’s like Salieri and Amadeus! Lucas publicly scorns and denounces the SW movie made without him, but he secretly loves it and resents God for not giving him the talent to make that movie!

“Through my influence, I saw to it Don Giovanni was played only five times in Vienna. But in secret, I went to every one of those five, worshipping sounds I alone seem to hear."

That's an incredible story... I'm thrilled for you guys, but also hate you all deeply :lecture

Yeah, You're old and crotchety like Lucas. We get it.

:lol:lol:lol

How are you old man?!?! Man being with these other guys really made me miss you all at C7.

That is such a fantastic story! Gibby, are you saying that you knew (or heavily suspected) Lucas would be there?!?

I wonder if Lucas was seeing TFA! Maybe it’s like Salieri and Amadeus! Lucas publicly scorns and denounces the SW movie made without him, but he secretly loves it and resents God for not giving him the talent to make that movie!

I know nothing.

#1....

and #2 -

There was a 2nd handler??? :dunno
You were also the one who suggested abandoning that theater and going to the East River AMC... You chose wisely, but you could have easily chosen poorly! :lol

There was a 2nd handler??? :dunno
You were also the one who suggested abandoning that theater and going to the East River AMC... You chose wisely, but you could have easily chosen poorly! :lol

Because I was sick and tired of all the bitching and moaning of why we were downtown. :lol

Because I was sick and tired of all the bitching and moaning of why we were downtown. :lol
Nah, we were bitching and moaning about EVERYTHING. I just didn't want to drive downtown. I had no problems taking the train (although fury looked skeered!) Glad Punk took one for the team... The other theater was 6 blocks away. We'd still be downtown... We just like bitching and moaning! Especially moaning. :wink1:

Nah, we were bitching and moaning about EVERYTHING. I just didn't want to drive downtown. I had no problems taking the train (although fury looked skeered!) Glad Punk took one for the team... The other theater was 6 blocks away. We'd still be downtown... We just like bitching and moaning! Especially moaning. :wink1:

It's ok kenben. I get it. Downtown is a PIA.
I wasn't gonna let us slip to somewhere else, though. We had to roll the dice.

In the end you guys made it happen. Alot had to line up. Pure amazing really.

I'm still a bit torn that I didn't try to get a picture with him or anything. My first instinct was that he looked
annoyed and I should leave him alone, but the opportunity to get your picture taken with George Lucas probably doesn't present itself more than once in a lifetime. Oh well.

I'm still a bit torn that I didn't try to get a picture with him or anything. My first instinct was that he looked
annoyed and I should leave him alone, but the opportunity to get your picture taken with George Lucas probably doesn't present itself more than once in a lifetime. Oh well.

Don't feel bad. I would have done as you did. Yes a picture with a man who greatly influenced the course of my life would indeed be very special, but at the end of the day he's a human being who did me a great service by making those original films and I would never risk my one moment with him to be an act of selfishness to his chagrin. Not saying that that's what the guys who did get pics did, for all I know he was standoff-ish but then was later flattered.

I just know that I'd never want to watch Star Wars again and see "Written and Directed by George Lucas" and have that remind me of when he had to say to my face, "For **** sake I said no ****ing pictures you ****ing loser!" :lol

When I met Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Anthony Daniels, and Peter Mayhew at Celebration I was actually a little terrified that I'd catch them in a bad moment that would forever taint my experience of watching the films. Luckily each and every encounter was a pleasant and memorable (in a good way) experience.

I met William Shatner quite a few years ago -- several other actors and pro athletes over the years. I never wanted autographs or photos, but that's me. Don't know what I'd do with them.

Speaking of icons: I'm kinda gutted over the loss of David Bowie. Glad I saw him in concert twice.

Back