Firefly River Tam statue commission

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theguru1

Super Freak
Reaction score
Greetings fellow Firefly fans,

As no doubt many of you know, we have been waiting ages for a company to produce top quality Firefly statues. At this point it seems that nothing is ever going to happen, so enough is enough, time to take matters into our own hands.

The first statue that I want, is one of River in this exact pose:

riverdvd.jpg

Now I know this has been made by some other ‘custom’ company, but frankly it isn’t cheap and what’s worse, it isn’t very good. The pose isn’t totally correct, it lacks detail and worse of all, doesn’t actually look like River (Summer Glau).
So, I have been in contact with Chris Howes (https://www.chowes.com) about sculpting a kit and we have worked out some initial details to gauge interest.

Product
Chris will sculpt and produce a ready to paint and assemble ‘resin kit’ of the above River pose in 1/6th scale (given the stretched out legs and weapon axe high in the air, she is expected to be around 12” in height and length in total). A base to sit her on IS NOT included, but that is something we can talk about.

Cost
Given the size and complexity of the sculpt and the need to get her just right, the price for the unpainted kit will be $150USD if 15 or more people are willing to sign on. This price does not including any shipping, which will be dependent on your location or the location of the painter (more on that further down).
Given the size of the job this is, no more then 50 kits will ever be made.

Painting
For those of you happy enough to paint and assemble yourself, then that’s it. For the rest of us that would need it painted, would have to arrange for Chris to ship the kit to said person first. Given that we are just at ‘expression of interest” stage, its not an urgent matter, but we can sure talk about possible painter options and see if we can arrange to have a group selection of kits sent to one person or a couple to save on shipping costs. Needless to say we of course need someone who is very good, don’t want to ruin an outstanding sculpt with a bad paint job.

Payment
Just an initial heads up about payment. All payment would go to Chris via Paypal and while payment in full would be best (and secure your kit), an initial deposit of around $40-50USD from 15 or more people would be enough to get the project underway, with the balance and shipping cost’s needing to be paid once final sculpting is complete.

Timeframe
Given the amount of work Chris already has to do, the project can’t even start till February 2009, but of course the sooner we reach 15 “payments”, the quick it goes to the top of the list for sculpting.

To give you some idea of the quality of sculpting we are looking at, here is one of Chris’s Star Trek statues in a simular type of pose as to the River one. As you can see, quality won’t be an issue.

worf.jpg

So, while I’d love to just commission the statue all by myself, I just don’t have the money for a 1 off, as such, my hope is that many of you have also been wanting some quality Firefly statues and as such, together, we can all get what we want.

Browncoats unite.

Interested
darthviper107 -unpainted [freaks]
DoubleD [S&F]
Figwit - painted [S&F]
Darth Snoopy [freaks]
DBoz [freaks]
Happyboy [freaks]
dhampir46 - painted [freaks]

Last edited:
OK, I take it that the Worf sculpt isn't enough to convince you, but fair enough, I'll put you down as interested.

So, anyone else, come on, don't want to prove sideshow, etc that they are right and there just isn't enough interest in Firefly.

That is a great pose and would make a great statue. I think that I would definitley be interested in one, depending on final price. You can add me to the list.

That is a great pose and would make a great statue. I think that I would definitley be interested in one, depending on final price. You can add me to the list.

Will do, tho I must admit, the response so far has been somewhat more underwhelming then I expected. So all in all, at this stage I'd be surprised if it happens, which is a great pitty.

If I'm not mistaken someone has already done a sculpt of this pose. Thought I saw it either on this board or statueforum. I'm still waiting for someone to make good 1/6th scale heads of the crew. I'ld commission them myself, but I have way to many custom sculpts on order already.

If I'm not mistaken someone has already done a sculpt of this pose. Thought I saw it either on this board or statueforum. I'm still waiting for someone to make good 1/6th scale heads of the crew. I'ld commission them myself, but I have way to many custom sculpts on order already.

Is this the one you are thinking of?

m_bp_river2.jpg

Yeah, there are a couple around like that one, with a not totally accurate pose and a real shocker of a head sculpt, I mean it doesn't look like Summer.
Then to top it off, the painting isn't that great, putting aside the dress being in the wrong colour.

I have no doubt that Chris will be able to sculpt a statue that looks exactly like the main photo, just need enough to make it affordable.

Were it 1/4 scale, and 100% dead-on accurate, then I'd likely be in on the project.
Good luck on it either way!

JSA

Were it 1/4 scale, and 100% dead-on accurate, then I'd likely be in on the project.
Good luck on it either way!

JSA

Well, personally, my biggest preference would be for a 1/4 scale PF version, but as a limited commission, that's just out of the question I think. So 100% dead-on 1/6 scale statue I think is the nearest anyone is going to get.

Hey guys!

In honor of the SciFi channel starting a run of Firefly starting tonight, Jan. 3, 2009, I will have an update on my River Tam 1/6 head here.

I'll have her up sometime tonight, hopefully before the first episode is over! :D

You can poke around in that thread and see the bald version which is already done. These heads will give you an idea of how accurate my statue will be. Kuato is painting a copy of the bald head now and should post that soon.

Back