Firefly 10th Anniversary - Browncoats Unite - Nov 11 10PM ET Science Channel

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just happened to stumble across this online. The Inara/Reavers episode sounded like the worst idea ever and would have never played on network tv. It's awful stuff. I was actually surprised they brought it up on the reunion special, it seemed so wildly inappropriate.

I just happened to stumble across this online. The Inara/Reavers episode sounded like the worst idea ever and would have never played on network tv. It's awful stuff. I was actually surprised they brought it up on the reunion special, it seemed so wildly inappropriate.

It would’ve been definitely a darker element of the show, but that’s what I liked about the show, it was gritty, things weren’t nice and many moments were outside of most people’s comfort zone – life isn’t always fluffy and in my opinion the best stories are defined by a good antagonist and the struggle the characters are put through. If you don’t have a good force that’s pushing against your protagonist, you have a poorly written story that’s boring from start to finish … IronMan 2 comes to mind.

Last edited:

You could tell that even the cast was appalled by it.

Man, I gotta watch the rest of the episodes and the Special before I read anything else in here.

Yes, you do!! :)

It would’ve been definitely a darker element of the show, but that’s what I liked about the show, it was gritty, things weren’t nice and many moments were outside of most people’s comfort zone – life isn’t always fluffy and in my opinion the best stories are defined by a good antagonist and the struggle the characters are put through. If you don’t have a good force that’s pushing against your protagonist, you have a poorly written story that’s boring from start to finish … IronMan 2 comes to mind.

The show isn't as gritty or as dark as you're remembering. It had its moments of pathos and tragedy, but there's a line and the proposed Inara episode crosses it into wallowing in darkness just for the sake of it, to push a message or to evoke shock or pity. The Reavers are a threatening enough antagonist in combination with the series' already established villains being the Alliance and other mercs.

I guess I'd rather not have a character be gang-raped in order for her to have some development. I know that in the universe of Firefly, Reavers do rape and kill people (sometimes not in the same order), but for it to happen to a primary character, the aftermath has to be very carefully handled and I don't think they're capable.

Regardless, it never would've happened anyway, at least not how it was proposed.

I just saw this last night it was great until the Inara/Reavers episode came up the look On Alan face said it all I think it would have turned the show to a very dark place and would really be hard to watch the show after that...but they did kind of when there with "Objects in Space" where Jubal had Kaylee and told her "You ever been raped?...' I mean Dam you really wanted this guy dead after that but I'm glade it didn't go any father than that.

Back