Final Fantasy VI coming to PSN

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is good news. I just hope that they fix the loading times in the battle sequences though (FF Anthology screwed that up).

6 couldn't have been the last best one because 7 was the best and still is. 8, 9 and X were still great games as well. What's with all the hate on something just because it's newer?

Still I'm glad it's coming to the store.

:exactly::goodpost: ..i believe most will agree the series went down hill from x-2 onwards, but i still enjoyed XIII and i loved going after the Espers in XII:)

IX will always be my favorite!:)

:exactly::goodpost: ..i believe most will agree the series went down hill from x-2 onwards, but i still enjoyed XIII and i loved going after the Espers in XII:)

IX will always be my favorite!:)

Liked I, VI, VII, IX and X. Liked the battle system in XIII, but didn't finish it. Didn't play II, III, IV or V.

Is FFVI the one with KEFKA as the main villian??? AKA Final Fantasy 3 on the old super nintendo?

^Yup, that's the one!

Anyways, I'm just wondering, has anyone here ever played FF 5 and 6 on ZSNES? :lol

Last edited:
I'd like a remake of FF6 for 3DS similar to what III and IV got on the DS.

It's my favorite, though it could be a tie between this and VIII. I don't really like VII.

I'd like a remake of FF6 for 3DS similar to what III and IV got on the DS.

It's my favorite, though it could be a tie between this and VIII. I don't really like VII.

A remake of VI would be cool. FFIV has two remakes now and VI has nothing. IV has the 3D one like you mentioned and the PSP one with the traditional look, but more pleasing to the eye like FF1 and 2 on the PSP. It also has those two extra stories that take place after FFIV...

I agree with you on a lot, but I'm the opposite of you with VIII and VII. It's all personal preference of course, but I'm not crazy about VIII's high school anime approach that they were going off of (was popular at the time) and I thought there was a difference between being introverted and being a complete jackass like Squall. I preferred Cloud because he opened up sooner and he has one of my favorite plot twists. Really liked the idea that he was pretty weak and couldn't withstand the mako treatment and stuff like a SOLDIER and even though it was unintentional, he stole Zack's SOLDIER identity in a way even though Zack died saving him (seems like a crappy thing to do, but again unintentional) and generally just how unstable Cloud is sometimes. Oddly enough, I still haven't played FFVI despite its great reception so I'm excited to give it a shot. I've heard it has a better story than VII, but VII's character development is stronger because of Cloud, but I'll wait until I play it myself to actually judge it. Cloud is my favorite video game character, but I'll keep an open mind when I play FFVI. :)

I liked FFX and I know a lot of FF games can be melodramatic at times, but some scenes were really awkward like the laughing scene and such. I don't know why there's so much hate towards Tidus by some. I know he was a bit of a crybaby, but I also thought with some of the things he went through, you can't really blame the guy. Overall, I found FFX enjoyable and one of my favorites.

6 couldn't have been the last best one because 7 was the best and still is. 8, 9 and X were still great games as well. What's with all the hate on something just because it's newer?

Were you absent in school the day "fact and opinion" was discussed?

No one is "hating" on anything. 7 was wildly mediocre, and 8-14 have been complete ****.

Were you absent in school the day "fact and opinion" was discussed?

No one is "hating" on anything. 7 was wildly mediocre, and 8-14 have been complete ****.

I know SK sometimes thinks his opinion is fact, but to be fair you're doing that too. I played VII years after it was released and didn't fall into the hype category, but I loved it and didn't feel it was mediocre at all. The plot twists, the unique mix of cyber punk and medieval designs/atmosphere, etc. was more than enough to keep me interested. It's just your opinion that it's mediocre and the same for the other ones being complete doodoo. :dunno XII divided the fan base, but there are still a lot of fans of it and I can respect that. It just didn't really feel like a FF game to me and wasn't my thing. Some people like it and some don't and that's all there is to it.

I know SK sometimes thinks his opinion is fact, but to be fair you're doing that too.

No. I'm not. I UNDERSTAND that my opinion of Final Fantasy series is not shared by all. But I'm not proclaiming it's a fact by saying "6 couldn't have been the last best one because 7 was the best and still is. 8, 9 and X were still great games as well[/B]

Nor am I making statements such as: What's with all the hate on something just because it's newer?

I NEVER implied that I "hated" Final Fantasies VII through XIII. I simply think that FFVI was the last good one that Square released. Period. It has nothing to do with being "newer"(WTF does that even mean?), nor does it mean I hated the others.

I know quite a few people that enjoyed VII, VIII, and even XII, but I'm not one of them.

In about three seconds, I picked up exactly why "Starkiller" gets into so many flame wars. Three seconds.

Probably a bit slower than it takes others to pick up on.

But I'm tired.

Back on topic...

I remember being younger and having these sorts of arguments on early-era franchise specific gaming forums. I'm pretty sure I've outgrown it so I'm not going to get into it here. At least, not too much. :lol

A remake of VI would be cool. FFIV has two remakes now and VI has nothing. IV has the 3D one like you mentioned and the PSP one with the traditional look, but more pleasing to the eye like FF1 and 2 on the PSP. It also has those two extra stories that take place after FFIV...

I agree with you on a lot, but I'm the opposite of you with VIII and VII. It's all personal preference of course, but I'm not crazy about VIII's high school anime approach that they were going off of (was popular at the time) and I thought there was a difference between being introverted and being a complete jackass like Squall. I preferred Cloud because he opened up sooner and he has one of my favorite plot twists. Really liked the idea that he was pretty weak and couldn't withstand the mako treatment and stuff like a SOLDIER and even though it was unintentional, he stole Zack's SOLDIER identity in a way even though Zack died saving him (seems like a crappy thing to do, but again unintentional) and generally just how unstable Cloud is sometimes. Oddly enough, I still haven't played FFVI despite its great reception so I'm excited to give it a shot. I've heard it has a better story than VII, but VII's character development is stronger because of Cloud, but I'll wait until I play it myself to actually judge it. Cloud is my favorite video game character, but I'll keep an open mind when I play FFVI. :)

I liked FFX and I know a lot of FF games can be melodramatic at times, but some scenes were really awkward like the laughing scene and such. I don't know why there's so much hate towards Tidus by some. I know he was a bit of a crybaby, but I also thought with some of the things he went through, you can't really blame the guy. Overall, I found FFX enjoyable and one of my favorites.

That's fair, Ryu. I like Cloud as a character but generally I'm not into FF7's story and thought the materia system in retrospect is too simple and rather boring. To share a bit about what I like about FF8:

Final Fantasy 8 is straightforward right from the start and it tells a fairly simple tale but it is great because of that. It's also intensely personal. Instead of grand fantasy or a confusing mess about genetic engineering and corporate malfeasance, FF8 tells a tales about kids who are trained from childhood to be soldiers and because of their experiences they all have trouble remembering who they once were. It's a very powerful allegory for real-life war situations and the politics that are waged inside them.

Squall is a jerk but he does begin to warm up as the story progresses. I think he and Cloud are very similar characters. From the beginning he's certainly colder and more introverted than Cloud from FF7 but generally I think Squall has a better reason to be that way. For most of FF7 Cloud believed himself to be a gifted member of SOLDIER. There was no reason for him to be a sullen _______ but he still was for most of the game. FF7 takes (or steals from, depending on who you ask) elements from Neuromancer and Neon Genesis Evangelion. Cloud is a genetically modified tool and his personality is rooted from that. Squall is an orphan. He was abandoned by his parents as well as his childhood friends and because of his experiences in war he couldn't remember any of them. That is infinitely more relatable.

Aside from the story I liked practically everything else about FF8 more than 7. It had inarguarbly better graphics and higher quality music. The gameplay admittedly may not be everyone's cup of tea but I thought the GF and Junction system was vastly more rewarding than the materia system from FF7. Also, FFV8 is the first FF game that contains a truly original style. FF 1-5 were set in fantasy/medieval worlds, FF6 was in some sort of industrial rennaissance, FF7 was very dystopian (like Blade Runner), and FF9 went back to fantasy. FF8 stands alone during that era in that its world was a style all its own. FFX and 13 would continue with this.

So that's my two cents on FF8. I can appreciate others oppinions of what their favorites are, but I'm not going to argue over it.

Last edited:
NYNosferatu- I see what you mean now. It was just the wording about VII being mediocre and the others being **** that had me assume it was fact rather than opinion, but I completely get what you mean now. Sorry about that bud.

plasmid303- Don't worry bro, I didn't intend to make my post a "my FF is better than your FF post" so I knew you would make a good post like you just did above.

About the story, I actually found FFVII to be intensely personal too. I found the whole Shinra and Lifestream story to be kind of bare bones, but I didn't mind it since I always loved the focus on the characters which made me feel for them. Vincent for example was pretty much connected to everything and I found that very interesting. I love Sephiroth, but I have always found him to be one of the more overrated fictional Japanese villains, but in the end I guess it's all about Cloud for me. I hated him at first because like you said, he didn't have much reason to be like that, but I found him a lot easier to like after he met Aerith the 2nd time when he fell through the roof. I guess Cloud is sort of the way he was too because we do discover as a child he was never able to fit in and that's why he doesn't have any memories with Tifa outside of their talk and stuff before he left to become a SOLDIER (which of course he failed). That to me kind of made Cloud more relatable because I had problems fitting in and kind of felt like a wannabe at something bigger, but couldn't quite make it (the stupid things you think of as a kid lol).

As for the music I know there weren't any orchestrated bits, but I guess I just liked the tunes more and wish they would re-release some of them with an orchestrated makeover (I'm aware some of it has been). I do like VIII's music a lot too though and it comes very close. What I liked about VII's style is how they would wear sort of modernish clothes, but have bits and pieces of medieval touches here and there which I thought made a cool connection between a slightly more realistic cyberpunk like setting (most of their technology was similar to ours) and the medieval/fantasy aspects. That's what I like about VIII as well. I think in that aspect I might prefer VII a bit more because of the bits of armor and just Midgar itself really stood out to me and that's where in my eyes I saw VII as having more of an original style. As for the actual graphics and overall sound quality there's definitely no arguing that VIII wins there.

I enjoyed the gameplay in both and I definitely liked how 8 was more complex with the junctions, etc than the materia system. That's one of my favorite aspects about VIII.

The only reason people consider VII to be the "best" is because it's the first one that the vast majority of gamers ever played. Same reason people think Castlevania is defined by Symphony of the Night. And they're wrong.

9 is the last good one they made in my eyes, and the last good one before that was 6.

NYNosferatu- I see what you mean now. It was just the wording about VII being mediocre and the others being **** that had me assume it was fact rather than opinion, but I completely get what you mean now. Sorry about that bud.

No worries man. I'll tell you one thing that I REALLY loved about FFVII: the music.

Aerith's theme, the Wasteland's theme, Shinra, etc. were all awesome.

FF6's music was just about perfect as well. Still has my favorite videogame theme of all time(Phantom Train).
:yess:

Back