Fed up with FEDEX and UPS

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heh. I've got a brother who lives in PA who has a closet dedicated to all the stuff I have shipped to his place. Maybe twice a year, I go down and bring everything back across the border. I've probably saved well over $1000 in additional shipping fees AND duty fees this way, even when you factor in the cost of gas.

Just curious, when you cross back over at the border, don't U.S. / Canadian Customs officials ask if you have anything to declare? I understand you can just say no, but if you have multiple / large packages that's not very discreet.

Just curious, when you cross back over at the border, don't U.S. / Canadian Customs officials ask if you have anything to declare? I understand you can just say no, but if you have multiple / large packages that's not very discreet.

They do, but I always lie about the amount. Basically, as long as you claim $60 or less, they typically wave you through.

You takes your chances, though. If they decided to pull me over and check the contents of my trunk, I'd most likely have to pay taxes or try to declare the items as a gift from my brother.

So, yeah, there's always an element of risk. :pray:

I believe UPS charges way more than FEDEX, every time I buy an item for 150-200$ I end up paying around a 100$ for customs/clearance/taxes which sucks. I believe FEDEX is more forgiving last time I bought an item of 300$ value I ended up paying around 50$ which is reasonable for the item value plus shipping with them is way faster.

I believe UPS charges way more than FEDEX, every time I buy an item for 150-200$ I end up paying around a 100$ for customs/clearance/taxes which sucks. I believe FEDEX is more forgiving last time I bought an item of 300$ value I ended up paying around 50$ which is reasonable for the item value plus shipping with them is way faster.

yep ups is usually about twice as much as Fedex, sadly though very few people us fedex compared to ups

I use Fed Ex exclusively. I had Sideshow note on my account FedEx only.

My local driver told me that the FedEx drivers get commisions for each package they deliver. So he takes care of me and I make sure all of my packages go through FedEx. He makes sure that there does not have to be a missed package notice put on my door, even for signature items. He signs for them for me and makes sure they are safe at my house for me for when I get home.

He's getting a $50.00 Outback Steakhouse gift certificate for a Christmas Bonus this year.

don't mean to necro but thought rather than make a new topic...

so does FED EX actually cover items for lose, like postal insurance does? i'm getting conflicting info.

https://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=21;t=001057;p=1

https://www.vendio.com/mesg/read.html?num=2&thread=574684

recently sent something w/ them and they guy told me they didn't have insurance per se, but had replacement cost. he said that if i sent a Babe Ruth card then they'd not cover the value of that card but of ANY baseball card. i started to leave heh, then he backpedaled and said my statue would be covered in full. but as u can see from these links, others didn't have their loses covered, especially on collectibles.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081210143508AAEdIUN

i'd hate to get surprised like some of them and find that my $1500+ statue that's lost is only covered for their standard $100. i'd like to use FEDEX more as the 1 time i used them everything went smooth and fast, but not gonna use'em if i'm not covered.

Last edited:
Fedex and UPS and USPS can suck...But no offense it's your countries Governments you all should be pissed at for these Taxes and fees

Last edited:
Yep, check the details.. FedEx does NOT have insurance. and what I found out recently is that UPS is better but for complete coverage they will have to pack the item (and that will cost you extra) I believe that UPS will cover damage that way.

The thing is to know what will be covered when the item is "lost" and what will be covered when "damaged"

Back