Fake IMAX?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't pay more to see that on the same size screen. Thanks Mike for letting us know about this.

btw....I can't see the pics you posted. :(

I had never seen a movie in IMAX before, so I didn't really know what to expect when my gf and I went to see Star Trek on Sunday. Unfortunately, we didn't get there early enough and we were stuck sitting up front, on the floor, in the 2nd row. We left after 10 minutes. It was unwatchable so close to such a large screen.

I gave it another shot yesterday afternoon. I got there a half hour before the movie started and got a seat in the center of the back row. It was awesome! :rock

I've only been to two IMAX movies, once in New Orleans and once in San Antonio and both of those were real, really huge screens. And I know the one in Dallas is real.

If you watch the IMAX on a smaller screen then it's probably no better than the DLP theaters, so there's no point (and definitely not worth paying $5 more for). Real IMAX all the way.

Although I wish films would actually film in IMAX rather than what they usually do--just film them normally and then upconvert the footage to IMAX resolution. That's why TDK was so special, it had the longest amount of footage actually filmed on IMAX film.

Another reason to not see films at those fake IMAX theaters. Even Michael Bay says it's supposed to be a giant screen so we can see how tall Optimus Prime really is.:D From Superherohype.com
https://www.superherohype.com/news/transformersnews.php?id=8404

"The way to see this movie is on IMAX. Never before has there been 4k rendered character animation shot on full IMAX 70 mm film. This is a first and the results are stunning. You will see Optimus Prime in a few shots where he is actually perfectly to scale on the IMAX 50 foot tall screens.

For IMAX, I created a slightly longer cut with more robot fighting. Four scenes were shot on IMAX cameras so the screen will fill the full IMAX screen for these scenes."

Yeah, I got screwed over by this here in CT when I went to see the Dark Knight last summer. The closest "IMAX" to me was over 1.5 hours away in Manchester, CT. As soon as I walked into the theater and saw how small the screen was, I actually went out into the lobby and asked the staff if the IMAX showing was somehow mislabeled. They looked at me like I was crazy, but this screen was simply a nice digital version of a normal movie screen, not the massive 50-70 foot tall monster screens I had seen at aquariums and such. What a complete rip off.

I really want to see TF:ROTF on an IMAX screen, since Bay has revealed that that version will have extra footage, but I may have to drive all the way to NYC to do so. :sigh: I refuse to pay for FAKE IMAX ever again.

Back