Facebook: Why So Evil?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batty

Nexus 6
Reaction score
Yesterday I ran into a friend I hadn't seen in years. We talked for awhile, and towards the end of our conversation I asked if he was on FB so we could stay in contact. You would've thought I asked him to cut off his own arm. He went into great detail telling me how he doesn't want to hear what everyone does every minute of the day: what their eating, how cute their kids are, what silly thing their pet did, etc... And I agreed with him, but explained how there are ways to deal with things like that so you don't have to read what you don't want to. There's also a lot of privacy control too. He was having none of it. And he's not the first person I've met like that.

I'm on FB, but still relatively private even when it comes to my friends and family. I usually post photos and info I think some of them might find interesting. Even then it's not that often, but I find it a good way to stay connected to the people I want to.

So why are some so vehemently opposed to FB? Do they not understand how you can control your privacy? Do they not have friends? Are they ugly and not want photos of themselves shown? What?

Maybe Kingdorkness can shed some light on the subject.

I think it is kind of stupid for people to lose their s___ about Facebook.

Facebook will only suck as much as your friends suck. People get pissed at facebook for people posting pictures of their kids or stuff, but that's YOUR friends posting those things lol.

Like, people blame facebook for the stupid crap their own friends post, Which could only mean those people don't truly hate facebook but they just really hate their friends.

Ive ran into several people the same way.
Im not sure. Some people are just more uptight than others.

I do laugh at people who think "the man" is tracking all of their information, conversations, pics etc.,
I typically say "yeah, so what? .... what do you have to hide?"

What crows says is true. I deleted my Facebook account last year, because my friends were too annoying. There was this one Korean kid in his mid 20s who was always whiny, and one day he complained about something along the lines of "my mom beat me again, fml". A guy in his 20s getting beat by his mom? :slap :rotfl I decided that was it, and just deleted the thing.

I do have Sideshow, Midtown Comics, Hot Toys, and a few other pages that I have bookmarked on my browser, though.

Facebook is awesome, but your friends can really make it suck lol. I also don't understand the people who are vehemently against it. I mean, this is the 21st century, and social networking has become the norm of our everyday lives. People need to get with the times.

I don't think it's a personal beef so much as them identifying themselves as part of the crowd that doesn't want to get involved with the usually pointless things society obsesses over. I was like that until 2010. Got a Facebook to petition Hot Toys to include the falcon accessory with their Falconer Predator. :lol Since then, it's been so much easier to plan hangouts and events with friends. Whatever stigma surrounds social networking, you can't argue with the fact that almost everybody does it (including people worth being in touch with) and if you want to stay connected you'll have to do the same.

What crows says is true. I deleted my Facebook account last year, because my friends were too annoying. There was this one Korean kid in his mid 20s who was always whiny, and one day he complained about something along the lines of "my mom beat me again, fml". A guy in his 20s getting beat by his mom? :slap :rotfl I decided that was it, and just deleted the thing.

I do have Sideshow, Midtown Comics, Hot Toys, and a few other pages that I have bookmarked on my browser, though.

Just delete those friends or hide their statuses. Simple.

Ive ran into several people the same way.
Im not sure. Some people are just more uptight than others.

I do laugh at people who think "the man" is tracking all of their information, conversations, pics etc.,
I typically say "yeah, so what? .... what do you have to hide?"

well they do track everything you post. And facebook never deletes your pictures. If you click on delete, they still keep a copy, so nothing you post on facebook ever really gets deleted.

after they track your posts they start sending you ads according to what you talk about. You could mention Justin Bieber to a friend of yours in a joke you made, and next thing you know you start getting Justin Bieber ads. (Has happened to me before)

But like you said, if you have nothing to hide then there's no problem.

Just delete those friends or hide their statuses. Simple.

The thing is, all of my friends know each other. So, if I were to selectively delete the most "annoying ones", that would have raised some kind of hell :rotfl. The easiest recourse was to just deactivate my account.

I don't particularly like Facebook right now but I'm on it.

I moved the either side of the country from where I grew up & I thought it would be easier to keep in touch with my mates. I guess I just don't know how to use it properly but I get a **** load of ads & videos from people & groups I have nothing to do with in my news feed? I just wanted it for my close friends & family back in Essex but I keep getting friend requests from people I half know, which I'm fine with of course but is there anyway I can just follow specific friends in my news feed & turn that Spammy ad **** off

Not that I do it with a lot of people, but I find that hiding their status is the easiest way. Although I do wish some people were more self aware of what they were doing on FB. Unless they're there with you, most people don't care what kind of meal you just had. :lol

I don't particularly like Facebook right now but I'm on it.

I moved the either side of the country from where I grew up & I thought it would be easier to keep in touch with my mates. I guess I just don't know how to use it properly but I get a **** load of ads & videos from people & groups I have nothing to do with in my news feed? I just wanted it for my close friends & family back in Essex but I keep getting friend requests from people I half know, which I'm fine with of course but is there anyway I can just follow specific friends in my news feed & turn that Spammy ad **** off

well, I don't know what kind of spam you are getting, but if the spam you are talking about is pictures and posts of your friends, you can just click "Unfollow" and you will stop receiving things from that person.

You don't have to delete them and you can still talk to them and they can still see your posts,
But when you click Unfollow, you never ever see one of their posts in your feed again.
The only way you see their posts is if you go to their page and see them over there.

If you are friends with someone and they annoy you. You can Unfollow them. (You can even put them under restricted friends and they won't see everything you post)
You could Unfollow every single friend you have and never get anything on your feed. But this only works if your friends are the ones posting those things.

As for the friend requests, there is a way to stop people from requesting you, kind of.
you can choose that only friends of friends can send you requests. So only people that are friends with your friends could message you or add you.

about the 20 year old getting beaten, lol :lol:lol:lol:lol

but same thing applies, you don't have to delete your account, you can just unfollow them and ever ever get any of their posts again.

Just use it when you need it. You don't have to read anyone's crap. I mostly use it to quickly contact people who don't live around here any more.

I like facebook for keeping track of people with whom I have a shared history but don't necessarily keep in frequent contact with: childhood friends, overseas friends, distant relatives....

I have no problem with facebook, but I don't read feeds and updates very often. Maybe once every few months.

Just use it when you need it. You don't have to read anyone's crap. I mostly use it to quickly contact people who don't live around here any more.

pretty much.

I almost never post anything on my feed. I belong to a bunch of groups and I keep in contact with people, and I follow funny pages or bands I like. But I mostly use it for the groups,

You can even block games so that no one sends you game invites.

I honestly don't get why people trash facebook so much since the settings can help you avoid seeing people's crap.

about the 20 year old getting beaten, lol :lol:lol:lol:lol

but same thing applies, you don't have to delete your account, you can just unfollow them and ever ever get any of their posts again.

Oh, ok. I guess I'll try that out then. I only deactivated my account, so I can always start it up again.

yea, I hardly post much on my feed, but it's pretty useful in talking to people if I don't have their phone numbers. I like to see what some people are up to time to time. The annoying family or friends that just post garbage and invite me to play games, I just unfollow them and don't have to deal with it if I just want to see what everyone else is up to. I'm horrible with birthdays too, so facebook sends me a note when a birthday is coming up.

my only problem with Facebook is that they keep changing their Layout. the new layout looks like complete crap.
They also keep changing their settings but they don't tell you about it.

That and the fact that anything you post on facebook never gets deleted. So I stopped posting pics. I never really posted any new pics since like, last year.

I think it is kind of stupid for people to lose their s___ about Facebook.

Facebook will only suck as much as your friends suck. People get pissed at facebook for people posting pictures of their kids or stuff, but that's YOUR friends posting those things lol.

Like, people blame facebook for the stupid crap their own friends post, Which could only mean those people don't truly hate facebook but they just really hate their friends.

This, nothing else needs to be said because this says it all

Back