Eye repainting commission?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedguy

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm actually very happy with the paint on pretty much all the Sideshow heads I have. Some of the work done by members is amazing but to be honest I'm not looking to spend the money to improve on something I already like. The one thing I don't like is the eyes on almost every Sideshow figure. They always paint the iris dead f'n center. Gives everyone a sort of dead eyed stare except at certain angles (generally it only works when viewed from a downward angle).

So my question is, how much would some of you repainting types charge just to repaint the eyes? Essentially just moving the iris to something a bit more expressive. If interested you can either PM me or hell just post here. I imagine I'm not alone in wanting my Sideshow eyes tweaked.

Yes, but Sideshow really needs to stop the biggest problem of all (and I can't believe I forgot to bring this up in the Spooktacular chats:

STOP THE DOLL DOT!!!!!

Whoops, meant to post this in the custom/kitbashing forum.

Yes, but Sideshow really needs to stop the biggest problem of all (and I can't believe I forgot to bring this up in the Spooktacular chats:

STOP THE DOLL DOT!!!!!

Your stop the dot campaign thread is having little effect pix. I think it's time to move towards more aggresive action.

I'm looking at my Sideshow Nosferatu (aka "Vampyre") and in some ways it's a lot better than more recent Sideshow releases. It's not as complex in the outfit department but the outfit is nice and well done. The head an neck articulation I like a lot better. It's more akin to the Hot Toys seperate head from neck articulation. I much prefer this over the sculpted to head neck. The greatest positive difference from newer figures though is the eyes. They're actually expressive. Looking off to the side and wide eyed. Not wide eyed in the sort of way Luke is. This actually looks good.

collection368.jpg

So they CAN do expressive eyes if they want to. Just somewhere along the line they stopped doing it.

LOL, is that the same inner shirt with the turtle neck they keep using on their figures? :rotfl

Whoops, guess not. :monkey1

Last edited:
Repainting only the eye is ok, but it will make for a figure that has an amazing eye paint and not so great skin and hair. Not sure how well it would mesh. It could most certainly be done though. I'd do it for $10 each head.

Repainting only the eye is ok, but it will make for a figure that has an amazing eye paint and not so great skin and hair. Not sure how well it would mesh. It could most certainly be done though. I'd do it for $10 each head.

Good deal:D!!!

I would really think about a Darth Maul, ROTJ Luke, Qui-Gon-Jin eye repaint do you by chance have any pic's of eye repaints for the SS figures? just curious.

Last edited:
It's the artificial hightlight added to doll eyes.

SSC uses gloss on the eyes which gives a natural highlight.

Which really makes the artificial one useless and imo cheapens the overall look of the fig.

sepm.jpg

Artificial dot at 9 o'clock...:monkey4

Natural highlight at 12 o'clock...:cool:

VS.

No dot at all:

sepan.jpg

at first I actually liked the fake reflection... I find it works well most of the time. Getting rid of it only works if you're good enough to paint the eyes really well, keep the surface smooth.. and gloss them enough that you'll get good reflections on them,

otherwise I'd actually keep the dot (I know, i know... everyone hates it... lol, i do too.... just saying, unless you can do it well, you're probably better off keeping htem)

I don't mind the dot, what I am FAR more concerned with is the location they paint most iris... dead center.

Back