Exploring the Pinewood Studios Gotham City Set from the 1989 Batman film...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wasn't the whole point of the Nolan Batman movies to make it relatable and feel like its something that could actually happen? That it's a real-ish. I think that's the reason those movies are not in sets to make it feel too outlandish and feel more grounded in "our" world, so to speak. Batman is the outlandish part in those movies but the city is suppose to be a very "real" place. It wasn't a place you wouldn't like to be in, it was a place you were already in. At least that's what I got from it. I think they're going to do the same with Man of Steel, make the world very real, while Superman himself is the outlandish part, so to make it more dramatic and relatable. Although I do like the gothic classic Gotham look, if I do say so myself.

Just wanted to pop over again and say thanks to everybody for all the positive feedback on the post! I really do appreciate it and I am happy so many folks are enjoying it! :)

Sallah

Just now took my time and read thru it all and took in all the pics.

I have to say, sallah, it was well written, interesting and very entertaining. It took me back in time and made me want to pop in my 89 Batman bluray and watch It for the hundredth time.

Another big thanks to you and of course Mr.Mark Jones for making all this available. :rock

I have to say, sallah, it was well written, interesting and very entertaining. It took me back in time and made me want to pop in my 89 Batman bluray and watch It for the hundredth time.

Thanks Coco! Much appreciated! :1-1:

I just did an update today on the article with some new reference pictures that I spotted in one of the DVD special features. Helped clarify the alley a little more, and offered a fantastic aerial shot of the set that I was able to use for location marking. If you have a chance, pop over and check it out:

1989Batman.com: The Pinewood Studios Gotham City Set

Sallah

Awesome stuff. Anyone here have one of the resin copies of the Joker statue Maquette? They were painted gold and given to cast and crew. I don't have a good photo of mine, so maybe someone else could help out...

Makes me wonder if they had filmed that statue sequence or if there are deleted scenes that we've never seen before.

Makes me wonder if they had filmed that statue sequence or if there are deleted scenes that we've never seen before.

I am still steamed that there weren't a section of deleted scenes on the DVD anthology version or Blu-Ray release. You can find a couple of short snippets in the documentaries, but no full-blown deleted scenes (which there definitely are floating around since you can spot some in the card sets and such).

Makes me really hope that we get a true special edition next year for its 25th...

Sallah

Thanks for writing and posting this article! It was amazing to look at. I really loved the photo of the Bat logo from the opening of the movie. Really great stuff :) Thank you :)

They sure don't make 'em like they used to!

Thanks for that Sallah. Still the best Gotham ever put on screen.

Thanks for writing and posting this article! It was amazing to look at. I really loved the photo of the Bat logo from the opening of the movie. Really great stuff :) Thank you :)

You are welcome guys!

I did a small follow-up post today with pictures Mark sent of all the items he "rescued" from the set while he was there. You can check it out here:

1989Batman.com Special Feature: "Rescued From The Gotham City Set!"

Sallah

Again, awesome work. I'm so jealous you actually have a Joker bill and chunks of the set now.

How could someone possibly lose something like the Eros Theater sign though...:slap

Anyone knows where Batman Returns was filmed?? It was in the same studios?

Warner Bros. Studios in Burbank, California
Universal Studios Burbank, California for the Penguin's Lair set

I'm still impressed how much Gotham City feels like a huge city of street labyrinths in Batman Returns. I love the interpretation of BATMAN's Gotham City just as much, but the winter setting of Batman Returns gives it the edge.

I agree with the "loving the look" sentiment... but I totally disagree on it being limited in size and scope.
Then you're totally, blissfully ignorant. From the very first scene, we are put in front of the Monarch Theatre. Every scene outdoors after that rotates on a street or two. And it's very visible that it's the same location looped over and over again. Thus pretty much destroying the illusion of Gotham being a sprawling landscape. As were the tiny streets, big enough to be alleys in real world metropolis cities.

Not just does the limited set destroy the size and scope of Gotham, but they very clearly used matte paintings which make a lot of the picture very dated, cartoony and fake.

I loved the look of Gotham as a child (was 4 when the '89 film came out), but much like the rest of the film ... it hasn't aged particularly well, and nostalgia aside it has lost a LOT of it's luster and sheen. Not just as a movie (clearly the Nolan films are head and shoulders better) but it's most redeeming aspects of it's aesthetics I've even come to have some issues with. The limited size, scale, and scope of the film due to the sets being a major one. It's even worse on the even smaller Batman Returns lot, which feels like it's filmed in a Wal-Mart sized Hot Topic store. Both films a circle jerk to Burton's fantasies, goth sensibility, and cheap german expressionism.

But I could never tell that when watching the film since it was shot so incredibly well.
You must not have an eye for detail, then. Because it's blatantly there. I noticed it even as a child of 4, 5, and 6 years old while wearing out the B89 vhs tape.

either way- I'll take the 3 or 4 large streets of a Gotham City that actually looks like Gotham City
What does Gotham ACTUALLY look like, though? LOL ...

It's a fictional city, and has been visually interpreted many different ways. And not just in Goth excess, either.

Gotham City IMO should be a visibly American City. Not look like a bizarre Germanic city. After all, the city itself is supposed to be like New York or Chicago.

come to life over green screen or location shooting in Chicago any day.
Gotham in the comics has looked like Chicago, before. See Batman: Year One ... Gotham has looked like a contemporary, sprawling American metropolis (without gargoyles and naked men statues everywhere ala B89, Returns, Forever, BnR) ... see The Killing Joke Gotham skyline.

IMO, the more grounded the reality around Batman, the more weight it gives his legend, and more depth and immersion to the story. Batman should have impact. I don't feel the Batman should something that blends into other absurdity, like Burton's Gotham.

Beyond the fact that filming on locations in real streets, real rooftops, real skyscrapers allowed for fantastic action scenes, and sheer epic scope. The batmobile bursting to high speeds on real streets was a thing to behold. If one didn't know it was filmed in Chicago, New York, and Pittsburgh ... no one would make the claim it isn't "Gotham". But hey, Gotham is a living, breathing American city in the comics too. Only thing that makes it different from a normal city is it has a vigilante stalking criminals at night time dressed as a giant bat. A freak that attracts odd theatrical criminal elements as well. Gothic statues isn't what defines Gotham in the source material.

Show me a "naked man statue" or a Gargoyle in the '89 Gotham.

There are none.

Then you're totally, blissfully ignorant...

Ya know JAF... when I first read your response, it got under my skin a little bit. The thinly-veiled insults, condescending nature, and overall hostile tone seemed like an invite for me to come back at you with my same points (again)... but with more vigor and emotion forced into them, citing instances and examples to validate my views- That way we could keep going back and forth in a "Nolan vs Burton" debate.

But then I realized something. The reason your fur is flying is because you have probably heard that Burton Gotham is superior to Nolan Gotham so much that it is beginning to eat at you. No one likes to hear that their favorite thing isn't viewed as the superior product by the public at large. I know- I believe the Burton films as a whole are better comic book movies than the Nolan films. I know this view isn't shared by the majority though, and sometimes it does get to me.

But it is how you react to that fact which makes your opinion valid. I just chug along with my view and talk about what I like about the Burton movies, extolling their strengths and justifying their weaknesses. Occasionally, I stray into comparison, yeah... but I try to only discuss the merits of one versus the other, and I do my best to leave out insults against the other party or exaggerations of fact in an effort to get my point across. Because once you cross those lines, you move from having a valid point and into the zone of somebody who is desperate to convert folks to their view... Which your reply comes across as.

Throwing in insulting remarks ("you're totally, blissfully ignorant", "you must not have an attention to detail"), opinionated hyperbole stated as fact ("clearly the Nolan films are head and shoulders better"), and exaggerated ideas (I am sorry... but I highly doubt anyone believes you picked out those details as a 4 year old) just smack of desperation. Clinging to an ideal so fiercely that you lash out at anyone who doesn't share it.

So I don't think I will do the argumentative dance with you. You have an opinion, I have an opinion. If you prefer Nolan's Gotham... Great. I am glad you are able to enjoy it. If you prefer those films... Great. I am glad you are able to enjoy them. I do not share those opinions though, and I never will no matter how many jabs and belittlement you throw my way. So why don't we just not waste each other's time and enjoy our own personal favorites without dragging the other through the mud, cool? :)

Sallah

Last edited:
Show me a "naked man statue" or a Gargoyle in the '89 Gotham.
Naked men statues started with Burton in Batman Returns, not Shumacher in Batman Forever contrary to popular belief.

Two huge muscle guys pulling large levers or rods in the miniature time square scene in Batman Returns can be seen readily through out the film. Mind you, a town square not even large enough to be a city center in a small town.

As for gargoyles in Batman '89? Are you serious? You claim to be a fan. You don't remember "what are you laughing at ?!" ... a gargoyle, on a church. Cause that makes LOADS of sense.

A holy place, with demonic creatures sculpted onto it. Only in Burton's Goth circle jerk world.

... a gargoyle, on a church. Cause that makes LOADS of sense.

A holy place, with demonic creatures sculpted onto it. Only in Burton's Goth circle jerk world.

...or in real life:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gargoyle

Gargoyles were viewed in two ways by the church throughout history. The primary use was to convey the concept of evil through the form of the gargoyle, which was especially useful in sending a stark message to the common people, most of whom were illiterate. Gargoyles also are said to scare evil spirits away from the church, this reassured congregants that evil was kept outside of the church’s walls.

Here is one on a church you may have heard of... I think it is called Notre Dame or something:

Notre+Dame.jpg

For someone with such an amazing eye for detail, you sure missed the mark on that one... ;)

Two huge muscle guys pulling large levers or rods in the miniature time square scene in Batman Returns.

Oh... and those 2 "naked men pulling rods statues" (which are actually examples of fascist architecture, not "goth") weren't just done as miniatures. They were usually full scale props on the set when you see them in the film. See:

Batman_Returns_set.jpg

It is easy to confuse the 2 though, since the miniature work in the film is quite solid. It can sometimes fool even the keenest eyes.

Or were you just poking fun at the size of the set itself? Because it looks fairly large there to me. Again though- It is the difference between creating a world and using an existing one. The filmmakers on 89/ Returns weren't content to use existing landscapes... They wanted Gotham to be a "character", with a unique look that couldn't be identified as any one city. I applaud that decision.

Sallah

Last edited:
They wanted Gotham to be a "character", with a unique look that couldn't be identified as any one city. I applaud that decision.

Sallah

Great post Sallah! I dont see anything wrong with the Batman 1989 set. They created and used what they did. Who cares if the movie set didnt age well or whatever. I liked it for what it was worth and havent seen anything similar to it yet.

Back