EXO-6 Star Trek "General Discussion" 1/6 Line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some people in this thread only read what fits their narrative and ignore everything else said.

A lot of these companies use the same sculptors and factories. A lot of them know each other. They’re all connected in one way or another. Granted, Nanjin has brought the tailoring etc in house.

I’m not a fan of HT comparisons either, but like it or not, they’re top dog. Only Inart seem to be surpassing them and those figures are high priced. HT prices have gone way up over the years. When I think about their good figures, I’m not picturing Iron Man. And there are plenty of small companies that have a higher realism and quality than EXO-6, as was pointed out - Threezero and Mars to name just two.

I’m still glad these figures are made, and have bought plenty, but I refuse to say they’re amazing when they’re not.

Some people in this thread only read what fits their narrative and ignore everything else said.

A lot of these companies use the same sculptors and factories. A lot of them know each other. They’re all connected in one way or another. Granted, Nanjin has brought the tailoring etc in house.

I’m not a fan of HT comparisons either, but like it or not, they’re top dog. Only Inart seem to be surpassing them and those figures are high priced. HT prices have gone way up over the years. When I think about their good figures, I’m not picturing Iron Man. And there are plenty of small companies that have a higher realism and quality than EXO-6, as was pointed out - Threezero and Mars to name just two.

I’m still glad these figures are made, and have bought plenty, but I refuse to say they’re amazing when they’re not.
Yeah, what they represent is an attempt at compromise. If they cost the same as Hot Toys, if they had more accessories, etc the line would probably have failed at Janeway. The balance is what the market can bear and that market is not in isolation. EXO-6 fans may also be Hot Toys fans and they may need to pick EXO-6 releases over Hot Toys sometimes. Price can swing that choice.

I think most fans are broadly pleased to have this opportunity at all but you can't please all of the people all of time.

And the only Decker that even comes close to deserving a figure. And even if Captain Decker isn't so bad, the actor is a terrible human being. No one wants to reach out to admitted pedophile Stephen Collins and offer him money for his likeness, let alone sell figures that look like him.
Collins is GARBAGE, make no mistake…Garbage is actually WAY too kind…none of this, however, has anything to do with Decker who was a perfectly good character.

Collins is GARBAGE, make no mistake…Garbage is actually WAY too kind…none of this, however, has anything to do with Decker who was a perfectly good character.
Actually it does. It has everything to do with him.
In order to make figures of Captain Decker, EX0-6 would have to reach out to Stephen Collins and offer him money for his likeness rights. He might not take the first offer, so there may need to be a back and forth until they make a deal. Once a theoretical deal would be made, he would also likely need to approve the figure, as have apparently all of the actors (exceptions being the families of Leonard Nimoy, Deforest Kelley, and Nichelle Nichols who are dead), so EXO-6 would probably have to reach out to him again for final approval. Then, if they actually made the figures, they would have to think really hard about moving forward with selling them, and if they did, they'd have to deal with the backlash of selling figures with the likeness of a pedophile. So, while Decker may be a perfectly character, a figure of him is a different story. It's a big bucket of ick that no one would want to deal with. The character is and will probably always be tied to the actor who played him.

I never knew about Collins until recently. Truth be told I’m fine not having a Decker figure either way. Not that important as a character so it’s whatever. Ilia would be more cool but I can understand not having her either.

It's cool to see folks that want characters from that movie - I was so disappointed with it that the ONLY release I'd have been interested in would have been Kirk - but I figured there will be plenty more of him somewhere down the line (in one of the "5-year plans" :naughty ).

Given the quality of that Kirk though - I'll admit I WAS sorely tempted :lol

In order to make figures of Captain Decker, EX0-6 would have to reach out to Stephen Collins and offer him money for his likeness rights.
I could be completely wrong, but I thought that I remember Nanjin saying that only a few of the actors actually had approval rights and the rest could be approved by the product licensing division of whatever the controlling entity is.

It would be dependent on his original deal when he signed up for the film.

Can someone confirm - Am I completely mistaken on that, or do they really all get likeness approval?

I could be completely wrong, but I thought that I remember Nanjin saying that only a few of the actors actually had approval rights and the rest could be approved by the product licensing division of whatever the controlling entity is.

It would be dependent on his original deal when he signed up for the film.

Can someone confirm - Am I completely mistaken on that, or do they really all get likeness approval?

I don't know all the details, but I think most actors do get royalties for their likeness usage, although some have more control over it than others. Collins might not have control over his likeness usage, BUT he would still get royalties (And while there's nothing wrong with Decker the character, I wouldn't want to financially support Collins. So I'd rather have a bootleg, if I were to get him at all).

Many do. Some don't. It doesn't honestly matter, because even if he doesn't have likeness approval (and we just don't know one way or the other), who the hell wants to immortalize that pile of dog**** in plastic and then deal with the fallout of making and selling a figure that looks like him? It would not be a fun way for EXO-6 or any other collectible company to get on the news.

In order to make figures of Captain Decker, EX0-6 would have to reach out to Stephen Collins and offer him money for his likeness rights. He might not take the first offer, so there may need to be a back and forth until they make a deal. Once a theoretical deal would be made, he would also likely need to approve the figure, as have apparently all of the actors (exceptions being the families of Leonard Nimoy, Deforest Kelley, and Nichelle Nichols who are dead), so EXO-6 would probably have to reach out to him again for final approval. Then, if they actually made the figures, they would have to think really hard about moving forward with selling them, and if they did, they'd have to deal with the backlash of selling figures with the likeness of a pedophile. So, while Decker may be a perfectly character, a figure of him is a different story. It's a big bucket of ick that no one would want to deal with. The character is and will probably always be tied to the actor who played him.
Actually…it doesn’t.
Last I checked Collins neither had the level of stardom or importance to the Star Trek franchise that Leonard Nimoy does.
I seriously doubt that Collins would have ANY say in a theoretical figure of Decker. That would ALL be in the hands of the Paramount licensing department.
Decker would be fairly close to the bottom of my list of figures that I want, but by your logic we should probably destroy Star Trek TMP and certainly it should not have just received a beautiful 4k rerelease…imagine the audacity of Paramount upgrading Stephen Collins’ likeness in 4k.
Collins doesn’t deserve to ever make a penny again (among other things that he doesn’t deserve to do) but canceling characters from Star Trek because of despicable, vile, and unforgivable things that the creepy actors who played them did, that had absolutely nothing to do with Star Trek is just foolish. Sorry.

Actually…it doesn’t.
Last I checked Collins neither had the level of stardom or importance to the Star Trek franchise that Leonard Nimoy does.
I seriously doubt that Collins would have ANY say in a theoretical figure of Decker. That would ALL be in the hands of the Paramount licensing department.
Decker would be fairly close to the bottom of my list of figures that I want, but by your logic we should probably destroy Star Trek TMP and certainly it should not have just received a beautiful 4k rerelease…imagine the audacity of Paramount upgrading Stephen Collins’ likeness in 4k.
Collins doesn’t deserve to ever make a penny again (among other things that he doesn’t deserve to do) but canceling characters from Star Trek because of despicable, vile, and unforgivable things that the creepy actors who played them did, that had absolutely nothing to do with Star Trek is just foolish. Sorry.
Don't try to explain my logic when you can't follow it.

For me, it's not inherently offensive to create a Decker figure, as long as it is known that Collins doesn't see any financial gain, however small, from it. It is, however, insensitive, and not the end of the story once they're produced. The problem is that you can't realistically guarantee that, even if he doesn't see anything from the production, he doesn't see something after the fact. What if he buys some of them and decides to sell signed versions on a personal site for a markup?

That's just one potential example, but even beyond Collins benefitting from it, I say insensitive because even if you clear that hurdle, a lot of people (I daresay most) will not care if it benefitted him or not, they will just have a visceral reaction to seeing his face.

Since the revelations, I've seen TMP maybe 3 or 4 times. Whenever they get to Decker's first appearance in engineering where he gets demoted and informed by Kirk, my first thought is an explative embued version of "There's the pedo.." and it takes a minute for me to shake that and get back into it. I'm not even a victim of that sort of abuse. I can only imagine it's particularly bad, and maybe unwatchable completely, for those who are and could be triggered by seeing him on screen. And that's why I say at the beginning "for me" because for those people at least and maybe more, it is still inherently offensive.

Then, you somehow get past those hurdles, and you still need to deal with the irony of proceeds from the sale of a figure with a pedophile's likeness being used to fund a school. At least you might be able to say some good came from it, but it's still weird to think about.

On the flip side, what's the benefit of creating a Decker figure beyond satisfying some TMP completists? From a business perspective, with all the above baggage, how many could they even sell? There's a ton of secondary characters that would likely net Exo more money than Decker. It's not even really about canceling the character as much as not creating headaches for yourself you don't need to.

Last edited:
Back