EXO-6 Star Trek "General Discussion" 1/6 Line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Off topic. There will be a 3rd Borg Queen. Hot news:

3F3B680B-9DB4-447C-892E-2E5EA1E71BB6.jpeg

I can actually foresee Trek. Most of my assumptions happened.

Alex Kurtzman's strategy is to link up the original Trek (old testament) and the new Trek (new testament)

Borg is the best medium especially for Picard.

We are on the right track by cutting into Trekverse with First Contact then Voyager. My strategies are the same with Alex Kurtzman. It is not difficult to guess my next move.

For your info, I will take control of the Klingon Battlecrucier. Most tracking info will be out by xxxx today. I have no idea when I can finish..... need at least 300 minutes to finish basing on my estimation.

I wish this new Picard series would just leave the past alone and move forward with new stories. The first season was a total disappointment for me. Personally, it was "The Last Jedi" of Star Trek, crapping all over my beloved series and character.

I understand that there are fans of the "new" Trek and I hope for their sake that Nanjin provides them with figures to collect but those will be easy passes for me. Perhaps as an added benefit, it will allow me to financially obtain those other figures that I do want without having to feel any pain in the wallet.

I wish Star Trek: Picard didn’t exist.
Is ok not to like new Trek. But for better or worse, new Trek will continue the legacy of Star Trek in their ow. terms. This enable Trek to continue. Otherwise, eventually Trek will just be labeled as King of reruns.

05730_Change.jpg

If don't like new Trek, then just stop right there and enjoy the Trek that you like.

Likewise, I'm happy that Star Trek is still being produced for television, but I prefer to stay with the classics. I have hope that SNW will be better with a return to the episodic story format. Change is a double-edged sword.

Personally I'm very glad new Trek exists, and I'm glad it has boldly gone in different directions, even if not all of them are for me.

As a life long Trek fan I have greatly enjoyed both Discovery and Picard so far, despite a few bumps and teething problems along the way. Maybe it helps that I also remember when TNG was decried by many TOS fans in Trek fandom back in the day, particularly during its first two or three years. When Deep Space Nine was accused of not being 'real' Star Trek, of being too dark, too static, and too continuity heavy with its more serial nature. When Voyager was routinely called the worst and least of the Trek shows, a bland, rehashed and reheated TNG that just wasn't anywhere near as good. When Enterprise was seen as the death of Star Trek, and called dull and backward for delving into Trek's past era. All shows which found their fans, and place, over time, both then and since, and all of which are seemingly looked back on now, in retrospect, with a lot more fondness, and a lot less criticism that they often copped at the time. The turnaround on how DS9 and Voyager are both widely regarded now especially is rather remarkable, given how they were so often the whipping boys of Trek back in the day from so many sides.

Star Trek isn't just about serving old fans, it's about finding and creating new ones, and whether they are to all of our taste or not, these new shows have done exactly that, and been very successful despite the waves of criticism. Enough so that there are now three live action Treks on the small screen, and two animated ones. So far each has felt distinct and different. The past shows and movies still exist and are still widely available (though I do wish they'd remaster DS9 and Voyager), so for me it's a pretty great time to be a Trek fan. You can't recapture the past, but you can honor it, and for me the new shows, or at least the live action ones, have mostly managed to walk that line. But, nothing will ever please everyone or all tastes, so as always, to each their own.

I want to like new Star Trek. I just don’t like how it’s being handled under the reigns of Alex Kurtzman.
Especially when he makes quotes like this:
The goal is not to promote Star Trek but to use our platform to promote BLM and NAA

Best way to observe the TNG command color is to watched the scenes when Picard or Riker walked out of the turbo lift at the bridge. One can see the Set Accurate color when they walked out. You will see Red, then Set Accurate burgundy (at the moment walking out), then Red again.

For those who kept telling me to use Grey for TMP Admiral uniform. You can forget about this. I WILL NOT use anything but the correct color. (One step away for me to say Over my Dead Body 😅) unless they show me an actual prop.

I guess you have to consider who your main market for these will be. I guess a vast percentage will be the die hards, those who have been to the conventions and exhibitions, met the cast and probably even own replica uniforms. Appease them and you've got it made! I'm just a sometimer with an eye for detail who likes to get it right when they can. If 'Mr I Just Got The 4K BluRay And That Looks Wrong' starts on me, he might not like my answers!

I prefer TOS because it tackled serious issues with a certain naïve charm.

It's hard to express the sensation, but when Roddenberry returned to Trek with TNG it seemed to often lack the charm of the original. It replaced the naivety of '60s sci-fi with the full naivety of Roddenberry's vision of the future. It's not something I felt when I saw odd episodes back in the day, or with my first full watch.

The things that I found appealing in my first watch of TNG began to grate on the second. I was surprised to find I was caring about the characters as little as I cared about the characters in DS9, Voyager or Enterprise.

It's the reason why I began to tire of Picard. Patrick Stewart was just too good an actor, too Shakespearian, too serious, and often too pretentious for the subject matter. He was best in the Q episodes, since not only could John de Lancie match him, but he made fun of him.

TNG also went on too long, with repetitive stories, and the same things happening over and over. That's only fun when it actually is a time loop, rather than the feeling of, 'here we go again' with the same causes and the same cures. Voyager and DS9 rehashed them yet again with different characters.

I can see what they did with 'new Trek'. With Discovery and Picard they ditched the half way house between campy naivety and gravitas - which I think was better achieved by the TOS crew in their movies - and went with a more serious tone. Discovery in particular had a very dense style, especially in its earlier episodes where it felt as impenetrable as the earlier episodes of The Expanse. It's a particular style of story telling, different to the more accessible Dark Matter or Killjoys (the two series along with The Expanse that, in my mind, form the sci-fi triumvirate of 2015).

Discovery suffers one of the same issues as the Star Wars Prequels: a prequel made many years after the original has access to better technology, and the creators can't avoid making use of it. Therefore, the Enterprise was much more futuristic than it should've been, which makes the series feel like another alternative timeline. Throwing them thousands of years into the future was the best thing they could have done, in order to sever the constant reminder that it doesn't look anything like the '60s version of the timeline.

I don't feel any attachment to Discovery. It's just another show, just more chewing gum for the eyes.

I didn't care much for Picard, because the premise about his degenerative brain disease was pretty depressing.

The prospect of a deluge of Trek figures from EXO-6 gave me a good opportunity to assess what really does appeal to me. In the cold light of day you can re-evaluate whether you actually like something for its intrinsic values, or whether it was only a passing interest due to its association with something older and more nostalgic.

The same can be said of the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy. It has some good characters and designs, but they aren't accompanied by any nostalgia, which is the main element that justifies putting a 1/6 figure on display.

I found my interest in TNG was only by its association with TOS. I saw a few TOS movies in the cinema, and watched the series repeated on BBC2 in the evenings. I had the vintage 8" Mego crew, aliens and transporter that had been picked up second hand from various boot and jumble sales; the 1970s annuals; move tie-in comics, and a 1970s child-sized phaser.

Star Trek was always secondary to Star Wars, but there was something there, and there still is. But only with reference to the TOS and its films.

Nice Rocky reference in your opener there. "He had a certain naive charm, but no muscle!"

Great points. I guess TNG appealed to a different generation of fans with different expectations. It was still a hit.

Nice Rocky reference in your opener there. "He had a certain naive charm, but no muscle!"

Great points. I guess TNG appealed to a different generation of fans with different expectations. It was still a hit.

When TNG originally aired I watched a few episodes and recall thinking it was like a soap opera (as opposed to Star Wars' "space opera"). DS9 was even worse, because it was static, as a soap (or a sit-com) where most of the interactions occur in a common meeting place like a pub. It was Cheers in space.

I gave TNG a chance much later, due to QMx 1/6, and watched it all from beginning to end. I fell for it. Loved the ship and the interaction between the characters. I also watched all of Enterprise, Voyager and DS9 around that time, but TNG remained the clear favourite out of them.

Then a little while back I got the TNG Blu-ray set and made it to the end of season 6 before giving up. I found the characters had largely become irritating, and apart from the holodeck and Q episodes it was a chore to get through.

Maybe the TNG crew were too chummy? It was too touchy feely, emphasised by having a Counsellor on the bridge. The on-hand therapist was actually at odds with Roddenberry's utopian vision. Some things never made any sense. The crew aren't paid in cash, yet the Federation has to use cash to interact with aliens who don't share the same communist values, especially the capitalist Ferengi.

In Rodenberry's future no one will go without, so things are magically conjured from energy by replicators. But they can't create money or the means to power a starship, because that would break the universe.

The holodeck is fun, but also ridiculous due to the scale, level of detail and realism, and the amount of a starship's power you'd expect it would need just to often act as amusement for the crew. The reality of such a utopian future would more likely end up like the opium dens that lured addicts to lives of drug-addled hedonism!

The ultra idealism of TNG renders it less effective than TOS, which was a more basic, workmanlike SF tale of space exploration and moral dilemmas.

Last edited:
I guess you have to consider who your main market for these will be. I guess a vast percentage will be the die hards, those who have been to the conventions and exhibitions, met the cast and probably even own replica uniforms. Appease them and you've got it made! I'm just a sometimer with an eye for detail who likes to get it right when they can. If 'Mr I Just Got The 4K BluRay And That Looks Wrong' starts on me, he might not like my answers!
That's why I will provide options. Everyone will be happy. As long as they won't regret the color choice on a later date.

Especially when he makes quotes like this:
The goal is not to promote Star Trek but to use our platform to promote BLM and NAA
He was referring specifically to the goal of Star Trek United with this quote (in case anyone was curious about the context).

Back