Environments in Hobbit: Unexpected Journey

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtb

Super Freak
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has any news if Weta (or even Sideshow) is considering producing environments for the Hobbit? So far they have produced several very high-end (price wise) environments (Rivendell, Orthanc, Bara-dur and so on).

I wonder if Erebor is a good choice for environment, afterall it is greatly featured (in the first 5 minutes or so) in the movie.

Personally, I would love Dol Guldur, what do you guys think?

Last edited:
I wonder if anyone has any news if Weta (or even Sideshow) is considering producing environments for the Hobbit? So far they have produced several very high-end (price wise) environments (Rivendell, Orthanc, Bara-dur and so on).

I wonder if Erebor is a good choice for environment, afterall it is greatly featured (in the first 5 minutes or so) in the movie.

Personally, I would love Dol Guldur, what do you guys think?

Erebor anytime. Looks so majestic at the beginning of the film.

Environments are coming. The switch in number of movies moved one back from what was said at S&F. I'd expect though we'll see a couple for the first movie before items for film two start. Erebor would be fantastic as would Dol Guldur.

As far as I'm concerned, two for the Hobbit have already been done - Bag End and Rivendell. Yeah, I know they were supposed to be for LOTR license, but those two straddle both franchises.:dance

As far as I'm concerned, two for the Hobbit have already been done - Bag End and Rivendell. Yeah, I know they were supposed to be for LOTR license, but those two straddle both franchises.:dance

This is true. Two checked off already :rock

That's pretty much why Weta kept an open edition of Bag End and Rivendell, as they would be in The Hobbit and are main environments.

I'm also hoping for a Rhosgobel :)

Other than that i don't really see what else can be done unless they go for smaller sections of Rivendell, but then i have the main big one so not sure if i'd fancy getting anything else :dunno

Dale and Erebor i suppose, but i still really want a Green Dragon with bridge and mill :)

I expect to see more of The Lonely Mountain and Dol Guldur in the next film so i'm happy to wait for those environments...

A Carrock environment would be nice, with the bear-shaped rock and a bit of the Anduin at the base.

I agree that's why they left them open and I agree that the choices are very limited for film one.

Dale and Erebor at somepoint are a must IMO. I'd also like to see The Lonely Mountain witht he front gate sculpted into it. Carrock would be cool as well and maybe even something they could do for a EE gift set.

Environments are nice and I do have the SS miniTirith and mini Minas Morgul and they are good but small......Only one more SS enviro I own is Helms Deep the sculpt is spot on but lacks any type of color! I have the 2 Danbury Mint, Barad-dûr and Minas Tirith and they are VERY, VERY well made and done, regardless of the minor complaints on the paint on BD. They are well worth it IMHO as these are very much the focal point for Tolkien and middle earth, they only one I am missing is Orthanc, then my trip down environments is complete. I would rather WETA focus on stuff they are lacking or then newer Hobbit line.....

I expect they will focus mostly on The Hobbit but I would like to see them tackle a bigger sized Minas Tirith. I have my DM one out which is fantatic so if it never happens I've got it covered and I still have my mini SSW one as well. I'd be lying though as I said I didn't want Weta to tackle MT.

I expect they will focus mostly on The Hobbit but I would like to see them tackle a bigger sized Minas Tirith. I have my DM one out which is fantatic so if it never happens I've got it covered and I still have my mini SSW one as well. I'd be lying though as I said I didn't want Weta to tackle MT.

That would be a awesome, I might jump on that on "if" it happens....

It's true, there aren't quite so many choices for this first film as there likely will be in the remaining films.

I'd personally love the front gates of Erebor, and another piece that shows off the interior, too. Those are my top wants environment-wise. :pray: Love the Dwarven design aesthetic.

Dale would be great, but, like Erebor and Dol Guldur, I expect we'll see more of that in the remaining movies. Especially once they introduce Bard and his backstory. So those might be coming later.

Rhosgobel is definitely on my list. (The question of where to stop sculpting the tree will be an interesting design challenge.)

The Green Dragon is a must. :lecture But that might be more likely to eventually show up in the LOTR line later on. Since it hasn't really factored into the Hobbit beyond a few wide shots of Hobbiton.

The Carrock would be cool. :rock

I'd personally like to see them tackle a few of the new Rivendell locations, like the White Council's gazebo and Elrond's waterfall/crystal table room. It'd be great to get some small and mid-sized pieces again. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Rivendell and Barad-dur, but they do pose some financial and spacial ... eh ... challenges. :lol

I was really hoping that the designs for Goblin Town and Gollum's cave would be more striking and iconic, but neither really grabbed me as environment pieces I would be keen to collect. :(

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd love the front gates either as a large piece or at least something that could be done with the EE (think gift set like before). You could also do the front gates and the side cut away sort of like how the CE of Bag End was done. I like you also want the inside so that's why I offer the previous idea. I think it would be awesome to get some of that beautiful detail work we saw. I do want something of the lonely mountain at somepoint and you could include it there as well.

Carrock would be sweet! I think that's something again you could see as a gift idea with the EE. If not I'd take a good size piece and it would be a wonderful addition.

Goblin Town looked awesome and you could do a nice cut away that shows the Goblin King's thrown with some of the architechture around that area.

YES YES YES HOBBIT environments. Please do begin with Erebor and Dol Guldur. In fact, I would like both an exterior and interior of Erebor. I will gladly purchase both.

Back