Enterbay: Django Unchained

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the EB Facebook page officially announced it. Django has indeed been unchained from the Real Masterpiece line. The Django figures are officially dead.:(

I'm not surprised this happened. Some other figures were cancelled shortly after release because of a controversy about slavery and toys not mixing. Was this a politically correct thing as well?

Yup, it most certainly was, though I consider it a product of over-sensitive *******ry.

Oh most definitely. People love to work themselves up into faux outrage nowadays. It gets Internet hits and is an easy way of creating a story. Its exhausting to see. People love getting other people fired and standing on their moral pedestals.

Yup, it most certainly was, though I consider it a product of over-sensitive *******ry.
It was exactly that. Here's the full break down.

Django Unchained has been targeted by a barrage of criticism for its depiction of slavery in America’s Antebellum South in the 19th century. Among the most outspoken opponents of the merchandising move was Reverend Al Sharpton’s National Action Network and director Spike Lee who called for a national boycott of the film and its merchandise.

The Weinstein Company has officially informed ENTERBAY to discontinue our Django Unchained figurine after receiving complaints that the dolls were offensive and trivialized the horrors of slavery. The Weinstein Company released this statement: "In light of the reaction to the Django Unchained action figures, we are removing them from distribution. We have tremendous respect for the audience and it was never our intent to offend anyone."

ENTERBAY would like to apologize to all customers who has already preorder this item. Please understand that we have no choice but to cancel your preorder and terminate this project. We apologize for all the inconvenience this might have caused you. Please read below details regarding on the refund procedures.

1. Starting from now until 31 August 2013, customers who preordered the Django Unchained figurines can get immediate refund at the ENTERBAY Hong Kong flagship store. No refund would be made after 31 August 2013. In addition, no refund would be made during the ACGHK from 26 to 30 July 2013.

2. Customers who preordered the Django Unchained figurines could only get refunded by returning of the original receipt and order form (issued by UA Cinema Zhe er Lifestyle Concept Store).

3. This refund procedure is only available to those who made their preorder at UA Cinema Zhe er Lifestyle Concept Store. If customer has preordered the Django Unchained figurines from other retailers, please contact them directly for further enquiries. ENTERBAY has not officially opened preorder to other distributors and retailers. We will not hold any responsibilities regarding on the refund issues with other stores apart from UA Cinema Zhe er Lifestyle Concept Store.

4. ENTERBAY reserves the rights of final interpretation on this refund activity.

A real real shame because the sculpts were fantastic. Amazing how people are so offended by a fictional movie these days. Well I guess it isn't all that surprising. It's still a shame to see these sculpts go into the trash can.

1044670_487821637959041_1592886063_n.jpg

Oh most definitely. People love to work themselves up into faux outrage nowadays. It gets Internet hits and is an easy way of creating a story. Its exhausting to see. People love getting other people fired and standing on their moral pedestals.

I kind of wonder, in the grand scheme of things, who, statistically, complained more, white people or black people. I'm not being smart or anything, but I am genuinely curious. The only reason I'm curious is because I wonder if it's not something to do with faux white guilt (I.e. white folks really don't care, but they get up in arms over something incredibly stupid so that they look more "sensitive").

It was exactly that. Here's the full break down.

Django Unchained has been targeted by a barrage of criticism for its depiction of slavery in America’s Antebellum South in the 19th century. Among the most outspoken opponents of the merchandising move was Reverend Al Sharpton’s National Action Network and director Spike Lee who called for a national boycott of the film and its merchandise.

The Weinstein Company has officially informed ENTERBAY to discontinue our Django Unchained figurine after receiving complaints that the dolls were offensive and trivialized the horrors of slavery. The Weinstein Company released this statement: "In light of the reaction to the Django Unchained action figures, we are removing them from distribution. We have tremendous respect for the audience and it was never our intent to offend anyone."

ENTERBAY would like to apologize to all customers who has already preorder this item. Please understand that we have no choice but to cancel your preorder and terminate this project. We apologize for all the inconvenience this might have caused you. Please read below details regarding on the refund procedures.

1. Starting from now until 31 August 2013, customers who preordered the Django Unchained figurines can get immediate refund at the ENTERBAY Hong Kong flagship store. No refund would be made after 31 August 2013. In addition, no refund would be made during the ACGHK from 26 to 30 July 2013.

2. Customers who preordered the Django Unchained figurines could only get refunded by returning of the original receipt and order form (issued by UA Cinema Zhe er Lifestyle Concept Store).

3. This refund procedure is only available to those who made their preorder at UA Cinema Zhe er Lifestyle Concept Store. If customer has preordered the Django Unchained figurines from other retailers, please contact them directly for further enquiries. ENTERBAY has not officially opened preorder to other distributors and retailers. We will not hold any responsibilities regarding on the refund issues with other stores apart from UA Cinema Zhe er Lifestyle Concept Store.

4. ENTERBAY reserves the rights of final interpretation on this refund activity.

A real real shame because the sculpts were fantastic. Amazing how people are so offended by a fictional movie these days. Well I guess it isn't all that surprising. It's still a shame to see these sculpts go into the trash can.

1044670_487821637959041_1592886063_n.jpg

I wouldn't say they're going in the trash can, I'd say they'll remain on display at EB headquarters, or, seeing how much he's making off of the MJ variants, Bill might auction them off for insane prices as "one of a kind" art pieces.

I kind of wonder, in the grand scheme of things, who, statistically, complained more, white people or black people. I'm not being smart or anything, but I am genuinely curious. The only reason I'm curious is because I wonder if it's not something to do with faux white guilt (I.e. white folks really don't care, but they get up in arms over something incredibly stupid so that they look more "sensitive").

I wouldn't say they're going in the trash can, I'd say they'll remain on display at EB headquarters, or, seeing how much he's making off of the MJ variants, Bill might auction them off for insane prices as "one of a kind" art pieces.

I think about the same thing. There is always Al Sharpton who will use anything to stir the pot and get in front of a camera, Spike Lee didn't even see the film and has a long running beef with Tarantino anyways. I'd imagine that a lot of the outroar came from some guilty or self righteous white people.

If people want to take offence at a work of fiction, then that's their prerogative. I take no issue with their activism, even though I disagree with their sentiments. Targeting the politically-correct ilk should not really be the point here. The greatest threat to freedom of speech does not rest with activists but in the response to it. In this case, Weinstein's. They have the resources to stand up for their principles, but they chose to take the easy way out. How much money did they stand to make out of Django-related merchandise anyway? They decided it wasn't worth the expense. Some will inevitably say that, like any business, they are sensible and right to prioritise the interests of their shareholders over principle. Sadly they were prepared to finance a film but not defend its creative integrity. A pity.

This is major f'n horse s__t. Like Spike Lee has never made a movie that contains things that may offend certain groups. I personally like and grew up with a bunch of Spike's flicks; Summer of Sam is one of my favorite movies EVER but it just seems pretty hypocritical coming from him.

Meh who cares. It has happened so that's all there is to it. No point complaining.

Well, not exactly, surely it was the complaining that got the figures banned in the first place? so often there is a lot of point complaning.

In this case it is quite bizzare why people are complaining, those that had them banned that is, Django like most of Tarentinos films is bordering on the fantasy, it's PC gone mad in my opinion next thing we'll have the KKK complaining of how they were portrayed as a bunch of bufoons in the film!!!

I had zero interest in these figures and didn't think much of the movie.
Having said that, I find the entire outrage over the film and the figures to be ridiculous. A shame such fine figures will not be released.

This decision lacks any rational thinking. I'd expect such from a reverend but I expected more consideration from Spike Lee.

By their logic any figure with a gun trivializes gun violence.

Any figure with any weapon trivializes violence.

There is no credible thinking behind this decision at all.

Much like Maximas in Gladiator or Spartacus, Django is a story of a slave becoming a hero.

This is major f'n horse s__t. Like Spike Lee has never made a movie that contains things that may offend certain groups. I personally like and grew up with a bunch of Spike's flicks; Summer of Sam is one of my favorite movies EVER but it just seems pretty hypocritical coming from him.
Al Sharpton is a joke to me, and I take nothing he says very seriously (same goes for most pandering ideologues). But I'm surprised Spike Lee would take such offense. Wouldn't surprise me if it went beyond the actual substance of the film and was more related to personal enmity with QT. I wonder if QT would get that same response from those guys if he wasn't a white guy. . .

I would be interested to hear the specific criticisms Lee is levying against him. Might google it one of these days. I personally didn't think Django was offensive at all. At least, no moreso than any other given QT film. So it focuses on slaves. So what? It doesn't glorify slave owners as great men and vilify slaves as subhumans or anything.

Back