EBay to cut listing fees

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthSid

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Saw this on AP this morning:

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - EBay Inc. said Tuesday it will cut by up to 50 percent the fees it charges sellers to list their goods online, in an effort to boost listings and keep pace with other burgeoning e-commerce sites.

To balance the fee cut, the company plans to increase its commission on items that do sell, a method the company says sellers prefer because it lowers their risk if items do not sell.

The greatest fee increase will come for goods selling for less than $25. EBay's fee for those transactions will rise 67 percent, to 8.75 percent of the final sale price.

"A majority of sellers will see their fees go down," said company spokesman Usher Lieberman. "We are basing our success on their success and we want to encourage sellers to list more items with us."

The new fee structure, announced to a gathering of 200 of eBay's top North American sellers in Washington, goes into effect Feb. 20 in the United States. More pricing changes are coming shortly in the United Kingdom and Germany.

EBay has struggled with flattening growth in recent years and a temporary drop in the number of items for sale on its site.

Listings on eBay's various sites in the fourth quarter rose 4 percent, reversing two straight quarters of declines, the company reported last week. The number of people actively using the site has also stagnated, rising just 2 percent from a year ago.

The online auctioneer has faced increasing competition from other e-commerce sites such as Amazon.com, which does not charge a listing fee.

EBay's various fees have long been a point of contention for its sellers, which range from mom-and-pop vendors to online stores with large inventories.

The changes come as longtime chief executive Meg Whitman announced she would retire at the end of March. Incoming CEO John Donahoe, president of eBay Marketplaces, which encompasses its shopping sites and classifieds, has said he will aggressively change eBay's product, customer approach and business model.

Along with changes to the fee structure, eBay said it will change how sellers show up on customer searches. Those with high rates of customer dissatisfaction will get lower exposure in a search, the company said.

if all theyre going to do is transfer part of the listing fees to the final value fees, then i dont see anything to celebrate about. Ebay will always be Ebay, a necessary evil.

I don't see much benefit to that change either. I hope some of these other online auction sites are able to turn up the heat on ebay soon. Competition is the only way to get them to really change.

I don't see much benefit to that change either. I hope some of these other online auction sites are able to turn up the heat on ebay soon. Competition is the only way to get them to really change.

So true. I dislike ebay as well so anything that brings them down or humbles them is good in my book.

if all theyre going to do is transfer part of the listing fees to the final value fees, then i dont see anything to celebrate about. Ebay will always be Ebay, a necessary evil.

Actually, for the lower end of the spectrum (items that sell for $25 or less), they aren't just transferring the fees to the final value. Unless you load up on features (such as picture pack), you actually end up paying more if your item sells. An item that ends up selling for $25 that only used minimal features like the Gallery, will cost between 25-40 cents more in total fees.

And, since that makes up the largest percentage of sales on eBay, this new "reduction" looks more like an "increase" to me.

what i liked about the upcoming changes are buyers can only get positive feedback. how many times were you unhappy with the seller but were afraid of retaliatory negative feedback?

Re: EBAY LOWERS LISTING FEES, BUT RAISES COMMISSION TO 8.75%!

I've been saying this for a while, but if Google ever truly wanted to start their own Online Auction service to rival eBay (and I mean seriously get behind it) and integrate it with Google Checkout then eBay/Paypal would be a world of crap. Google would eventually destroy them... and the world would rejoice.

what i liked about the upcoming changes are buyers can only get positive feedback. how many times were you unhappy with the seller but were afraid of retaliatory negative feedback?
I don't know. I think it can go both ways. There are a LOT of ignorant and malicious buyers out there who leave negative feedback for very stupid (and undeserved) reasons. I've even seen people leave a negative or neutral when all they are doing is asking a question, or to BEGIN a dialog to resolve a problem. If sellers have no way to protect themselves (and mutual withdrawal of feedback is not usually effective), then i imagine we'll be seeing significantly fewer 100% sellers from now on -- even though many of them may still deserve the high rating.

At least I can still keep my policy of not giving buyers feedback until the leave it for me first. That way, if they don't want to play nice, they will get nothing from me.

I don't know. I think it can go both ways. There are a LOT of ignorant and malicious buyers out there who leave negative feedback for very stupid (and undeserved) reasons. I've even seen people leave a negative or neutral when all they are doing is asking a question, or to BEGIN a dialog to resolve a problem. If sellers have no way to protect themselves (and mutual withdrawal of feedback is not usually effective), then i imagine we'll be seeing significantly fewer 100% sellers from now on -- even though many of them may still deserve the high rating.

At least I can still keep my policy of not giving buyers feedback until the leave it for me first. That way, if they don't want to play nice, they will get nothing from me.
I see it being this way too. Now sellers have no protection against idiot buyers who leave negative feedback for inappropriate reasons. I don't sell much on ebay now but with these changes I definitely see myself selling even less. Buyers should also be held responsible for a transaction.

I've been saying this for a while, but if Google ever truly wanted to start their own Online Auction service to rival eBay (and I mean seriously get behind it) and integrate it with Google Checkout then eBay/Paypal would be a world of crap. Google would eventually destroy them... and the world would rejoice.

:rock

Love the sound of that!

I guess there is a very small silver lining in that cloud. Feedback will no longer count toward your percentage after 12 months, so you might have a negative hit for a while, but if you can ride it out, it will eventually drop off.

And one thing's for sure. Anyone who leaves me negative feedback under the new rules will be permanently added to my blocked bidders list, and I may even start monitoring my auctions more closely, checking the feedback that active bidders have left for other sellers. If I see any signs of malicious activity, their bids will be canceled and they will be blocked.

No matter what ebay says, I know that I will end up paying more. They do this every January.

In the early 2000's, (2001? I think) I was at some conference where Meg was giving a talk. She posed the question to the group, "Who knows why ebay sales rise in early January?" There were some lame answers, and then I said, "Because you raise prices at the end of January!" She gave me a prize (some kind of exclusive ebay beanie baby) even though the real answer was "All the new computers that are given as gifts at Christmas."

yeh,

i'm getting increasingly frustrated with Ebay. I joined back in the days when it was a community, people were nice to you. Didn't try and rip you off. You had some recourse if things got lost and Paypal and Bidpay actually listened to their customers. It's now gotten to be an expensive and thankless hobby, more of a nessecary evil.

:emperor:emperor:emperor:emperor:emperor

D

DEATH TO EBAY!!!!!!

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

As people have said before, sounds more like a increase than decrease.

Look at some of the changes:

Safe Payments

To help ensure more buyers are protected, in some cases we'll require sellers to offer either PayPal or a merchant credit card to customers. PayPal buyer protection covers most qualified transactions up to $2000.00 USD.
Sellers will only be required to provide this safe payment option to customers in certain situations:

For listings in riskier categories, like computers and cell phones
If the seller has 5% or more dissatisfied customers
If the seller has less than 100 Feedback

In a small number of cases (fewer than 5% of all payments on eBay), PayPal will hold payment funds until either the buyer has left positive Feedback or 21 days have passed without a claim.

Feedback Changes

The eBay Feedback system was designed to provide a simple, honest, accurate record of member experiences. Focusing on customer service includes doing everything we can to grow customer confidence in our sellers.

Buyers will only be able to receive positive Feedback.

Positive repeat customer Feedback will count (up to 1 Feedback from the same buyer per week.)

Feedback more than 12-months old won't count towards your Feedback percentage.

When a buyer doesn't respond to the Unpaid Item (UPI) process the negative or neutral Feedback they have left for that transaction will be removed.

When a member is suspended, all their negative and neutral Feedback will be removed.

Buyers must wait 3 days before leaving negative or neutral Feedback for sellers with an established track record, to encourage communication.
All Feedback must be left within 60 days (compared to 90 days today) of listing end to encourage timely Feedback and discourage abuse.

Buyers will be held more accountable when sellers report an unpaid item or commit other policy violations.

Back