ebay scammers abound!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is exactly why I have pretty much stopped selling anything real valuable or breakable on ebay. I'm very glad this one went your way but like your wife said its only a matter of time. I almost got burned on a $100 item so I can't imagine dealing with an $800 item.... man ebay sucks.

it did get real bad for a while but i feel the tide is turning as far as claims. they take them very seriously and do look at past performance, feedback and what you sell to determine if you would even try to burn someone. but it does worry me every time i sell something.

called ebay today. it was two weeks since i replied to his opening a case with no reply. ebay said that since he sold the item, there is no case and promptly closed it in my favor. the system worked!!!

thats great news!! the system works if you keep ontop of it and like i said its better to call than to wait for the online responses. This was through eBay you said, but PayPal is the same. Any time ive had to file claims, i always call PayPal and they usually take care of it right away.

Definitely theres is so much scamming in the figure/toy/statue hobby on eBay. As a seller just trying to get people to pay for their auctions can be a terrible experience. I have had to relist things several times because buyers just don't pay for their auctions.

Ive given up on eBay. Just not worth the hassle. Not to mention their fees have gone up so much. Its very hard to make a profit or even to break even on something unless that collectible has really skyrocketed in price which means to break even you need it to sell for sometimes 20%+ more than what you paid for it after all the fees. Not always an easy thing to do.

thats great news!! the system works if you keep ontop of it and like i said its better to call than to wait for the online responses. This was through eBay you said, but PayPal is the same. Any time ive had to file claims, i always call PayPal and they usually take care of it right away.

Definitely theres is so much scamming in the figure/toy/statue hobby on eBay. As a seller just trying to get people to pay for their auctions can be a terrible experience. I have had to relist things several times because buyers just don't pay for their auctions.

Ive given up on eBay. Just not worth the hassle. Not to mention their fees have gone up so much. Its very hard to make a profit or even to break even on something unless that collectible has really skyrocketed in price which means to break even you need it to sell for sometimes 20%+ more than what you paid for it after all the fees. Not always an easy thing to do.

it's best to document through messages or email and call. if the case is opened through ebay, it continues and you can't file one with paypal and vice versa.

all my auctions require immediate payment so unless a buyer is ready to pay, they can't end the auction. this does eliminate the impulse buy but i want to sell the item just once. i also don't accept refunds or returns.

and the fees just plain SUCK! 10% final value for ebay plus PP fees plus shipping and insurance. that takes around 15% total from me.

yes ebay fees being so high are ridiculous. It's only that way because of minimal competition. Seriously ebay you don't do much for me to take that big of a cut.

it's best to document through messages or email and call. if the case is opened through ebay, it continues and you can't file one with paypal and vice versa.

all my auctions require immediate payment so unless a buyer is ready to pay, they can't end the auction. this does eliminate the impulse buy but i want to sell the item just once. i also don't accept refunds or returns.

and the fees just plain SUCK! 10% final value for ebay plus PP fees plus shipping and insurance. that takes around 15% total from me.

i've never used the Immediate Payment feature. It's probably a good idea to eliminate some hassle. Do they charge more fees for having that feature?

Usually when i buy something off eBay more often than not i only buy stuff with the BUY IT NOW. Im not a fan waiting for auctions to end because sometimes im not around to sit there towards the end of an auction to outbid people last second. I did that a lot back in the day and got tired of it.

Also if you don't accept Refunds or Returns, can PayPal or eBay still find in favor of the buyer and they can still return it? I wasnt sure on that?

i've never used the Immediate Payment feature. It's probably a good idea to eliminate some hassle. Do they charge more fees for having that feature?

Usually when i buy something off eBay more often than not i only buy stuff with the BUY IT NOW. Im not a fan waiting for auctions to end because sometimes im not around to sit there towards the end of an auction to outbid people last second. I did that a lot back in the day and got tired of it.

Also if you don't accept Refunds or Returns, can PayPal or eBay still find in favor of the buyer and they can still return it? I wasnt sure on that?

they don't charge extra for 'immediate payment required'. just check the box in any of your auction's revision mode.

although i don't accept returns or give refunds, ebay has the power to refund and charge you to reimburse them back. it has to be a ruling in the buyer's favor but you can protect yourself by doing the following:

1- ONLY ship to the paypal confirmed address. if they don't have one you have to ask yourself why don't they? most overseas addresses are not confirmed, but i only ship internationally through ebay's global shipping program. the seller's liability ends at their shipping warehouse in kentucky.

2- always ship with signature required to prove it was received and signed for.

3- always use a shipping company that has tracking. if a claim is filed, ebay will see it was delivered and signed for.

4- ALWAYS insure the package for the full amount. if you ship fedex or ups, they have insurance you can add on. if you ship USPS, opt to take the independent company and NOT the usps' insurance. i was burned from them once and never again. you can also purchase 3rd party shipping insurance from U-Pic. they are good.

so if your item arrives damaged, work with the buyer to file the claim and see it through until he is reimbursed. this should satisfy ebay and/or paypal and keep them from debiting you and refunding him. DO NOT have him send you back the damaged item. if he does, they will reimburse him. he has to turn it in at his local shipping company's claims department.

this will probably include the buyer providing pics of the damaged item, pics of the damaged shipping box and turning in the item once it gets to that phase of the claim. the buyer MUST also save the original shipping box and turn that in as well. if he doesn't, there's a good chance the claim will be declined. they'll want to see what was done to the brown shipper to make sure the damage corresponds.

Last edited:
yes ebay fees being so high are ridiculous. It's only that way because of minimal competition. Seriously ebay you don't do much for me to take that big of a cut.

i feel they need to impose their fees on a sliding scale. the higher the value of the item, the lesser the final value fee. 10% across the board is a ripoff. the $80 final value fee on this item plus a final value fee on the shipping too is absurd.

the one thing in the seller's favor is, ebay will give the seller the benefit of the doubt on a case with larger valued items if you're established. they don't want to give the huge FVF back if they reimburse the buyer.

Thank so much for all that info. That is stuff I did not know about. So that is a great help :)

Back