Ebay scam or not??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I said the information you need to give is on any cheque. Without passwords, security questions or information like date of birth (info which people for some reason love to give away on FB or forums for some reason) people have little access to accounts (unlike for example giving your card details which would be idiotic,) . In this context I would say you are at greater risk of PayPal charge back than a dedicated attempt at identity theft. Everything in life has risk at the end of the day. Personally I would consider this approach in this case but its personal choice. Perhaps get advice from the bank on whether this approach is viable rather than lose the sale. Good luck whatever you do.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:
As I said the information you need to give is on any cheque. Without passwords, security questions or information like date of birth (info which people for some reason love to give away on FB or forums for some reason) people have little access to accounts (unlike for example giving your card details which would be idiotic,) . In this context I would say you are at greater risk of PayPal charge back than a dedicated attempt at identity theft. Everything in life has risk at the end of the day. Personally I would consider this approach in this case but its personal choice. Perhaps get advice from the bank on whether this approach is viable rather than lose the sale. Good luck whatever you do.

a few years ago my bank account was compromised through my paypal account by who i was told by paypal were chinese hackers. they bounced funds around to several places worldwide with the last stop in china. they withdrew from my checking account just by having the account name, number and routing number. it took almost 3 weeks to get my $2200 back. had to close my checking account and open another, change passwords online, change paypal passwords and associated email. major PIA. so like i said, i would NEVER give anyone my bank information, especially someone you think may not be trustworthy.

So they had access to your bank account and cards via paypal which you had already authorised and validated I presume earlier to allow easy payment and fund transfers (as we all do), allowing them to withdraw money etc. Thats really my point you need to be very unlucky for this stranger to be either a gifted hacker to find either all your details online or your passwords to access your bank account.

You hit the nail on the head by describing this.

Its not really antiquated methods of moving cash via cheque or bank transfer that's the major problem but tying all of our funding streams into hackable systems like paypal, Sony and Google (which I am sure are hard to hack) or even dare I say sideshow collectibles website (which might be much much less of a challenge lol). Your just a trojan away from disaster then.

Anyway I have had about £1000 removed when my card was cloned after shopping in an airport so I know it's a pain in the ***. As I said before good luck with it.

Last edited:
I know this really the topic for it but I have a eBay question.

I had a bidder that decided he didn't want what he won so I just delisted the item, so now it shows that I have two of the same item for sale, one that has ended and one up for bid. How do I get rid of the original listing?

Also on the relisted item, I had one bidder and he won, did have a buy it now or anything other than bid. How does relisted items work? Did the just have an option to outbid the original offer or was it suppose let people bid it up?

Hopefully that made sense.

:dunno Im a little confused but Ill try to answer...(im thinking won means auction ended)

You have to close the transaction with the bidder that won but didn't want what he won.
BUT if by 'won' you mean 'bid' then I think the buyer has to cancel the bid and you accept.

Lets see. You relist items when the original item (auction) didnt sell. If the starting auction price has one bid and the auction ends, you sold the item for the auction price.

I know this really the topic for it but I have a eBay question.

I had a bidder that decided he didn't want what he won so I just delisted the item, so now it shows that I have two of the same item for sale, one that has ended and one up for bid. How do I get rid of the original listing?

Also on the relisted item, I had one bidder and he won, did have a buy it now or anything other than bid. How does relisted items work? Did the just have an option to outbid the original offer or was it suppose let people bid it up?

Hopefully that made sense.

Ebay should be able to help you sort the original mess out.

It sounds like both of you are okay with cancelling so you can file a request to cancel ...which will be sent to the buyer to tick 'yes I agree' (which obviously he will in this case....) and it will get rid of it.

I'm not sure about the relisted item though ....can you clarify what happened? It should let people 'bid it up' still unless you chose a buy it now options...

Got even more weird the guy is from China wants me to ship the statue to his friend in CA. I said alright but your buddy will have to buy it and ill ship it to him that way its out of my hands.

The guy bid it up and was the final bidder then decided he didn't want it. I've searched and can't find how to cancel the whole transaction.

I then relisted the item for 5 days and starting at .99. One guy bid $70 and it ended the auction and he won the item.

The guy bid it up and was the final bidder then decided he didn't want it. I've searched and can't find how to cancel the whole transaction.

I then relisted the item for 5 days and starting at .99. One guy bid $70 and it ended the auction and he won the item.

You have to go into your sold page and in the drop down option menu and there's an option about "resolving a issue" and then you have a few options to select what makes the most sense, I think one is "seller changed mind". Then you file the claim with PayPal, the buyer is sent an email and has to approve the cancellation, once they do the "unpaid item case" gets closed and you receive a final value credit.

You have to go into your sold page and in the drop down option menu and there's an option about "resolving a issue" and then you have a few options to select what makes the most sense, I think one is "seller changed mind". Then you file the claim with PayPal, the buyer is sent an email and has to approve the cancellation, once they do the "unpaid item case" gets closed and you receive a final value credit.

Thank you that was a huge help.

I just don't get why people place mtiple bids on and item them decide they don't want it. Don't bid if you aren't willing to pay the price. What a pain in the but eBay has become.

I just don't get why people place mtiple bids on and item them decide they don't want it. Don't bid if you aren't willing to pay the price. What a pain in the but eBay has become.

I've had it happen often recently. Very annoying. But what are you gonna do? You can't make paypal just debit their account their will.

use buy it now only with immediate payment required. :wave

video the statue and you packing it up etc.

:lecture:exactly:

I learned the hard way early on eBay that buyers will stop at no lengths to scam the crap out of you even for items less than $20. Now I do exactly what Frank stated for everything - take close up picks documenting the item & condition + make a short vid packing it up. It's a little headache and extra work but well worth it.

Back