DX02 residue in abdominal area, has yours shown signs of it?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has your DX02 shown signs of residue buildup in the abdominal area?

• Total voters
Just having a quick browse...

[Figure 1 ILLUSTRATION OMITTED]

Current materials

Despite the introduction of the newer materials, most shoe soles continue to be produced from rubber, vulcanized or thermoplastic, or PVC. Figure 2 shows the estimated breakdown of solings worldwide; this has shown little change in recent years, but there are differences from region to region for economic and climatic reasons. For example, less PVC is used in cold northern countries due to increased risk of flex cracking. Overall, thermoplastics account for almost half of solings.

[Figure 2 ILLUSTRATION OMITTED]

In everyday footwear, the usage of soling materials is more or less in line with figure 2, but most of the resin rubber will be used in women's court shoes. Industrial and protective footwear usually has solings of vulcanized rubber

(SBR or nitrile); PVC/nitrile rubber blends or polyurethane, de-pending on the intended wear environment. Composite soles with a rubber or PU wearing surface backed by low density PU or EVA have become popular, offering cushioning, lighter weight and greater durability. In sports shoes, rubber and polyurethane are most common, with thermoplastic rubber and EVA used on pseudo-sports footwear or trainers: Again, composite or dual density structures are now common.

Figure 3 shows typical ranges for hardness, density and durability of footwear solings. The durability values are on the SATRA scale of `specific durability' (sd) established from extensive testing and wear trials; a soling of sd 2 would be expected to wear half as rapidly as one of sd 1.

[Figure 3 ILLUSTRATION OMITTED]

Thermoplastic rubber for solings

Thermoplastic rubbers based on styrene-butadiene-styrene block copolymers were introduced for footwear in the late 1960s, offering rubbery appearance and properties with the simplicity of thermoplastics processing. Initially used to simulate natural crepe rubber, thermoplastic rubber has proved attractive for many styles of everyday and fashion shoes, especially with thicker or platform soles.

Compounding

Elastomers in a versatile hardness range can be produced by compounding. Extending the elastomeric matrix with processing oils improves flow during molding, softens the material and reduces its cost, generally at the expense of wear resistance. Extending the polystyrene domains with compatible polymers, such as polystyrene, hardens the base polymer and improves wear to some extent, but large amounts may inhibit adhesion. Including a third discreet mineral phase serves to harden and cheapen, but neither carbon black nor mineral fillers effective in vulcanized rubbers cause any marked reinforcement. Finally, an additional continuous polymeric phase is sometimes created, usually with ethylene vinyl acetate (EVA), and serves to produce a smooth surface amenable to lacquering.

Processing

Thermoplastic rubber is easily injection molded at 170-200 [degrees] C using simple screw or reciprocating screw machines, with a mold temperature of 30-50 [degrees] C and an in mold time of 1-2 minutes. The mold gate should be relatively large to minimize flow lines and orientation effects. Thermoplastic rubber is more hygroscopic than PVC, and damp compound may cause surface defects in molded soles, but it has excellent thermal stability in molding and is more tolerant of reprocessing in that up to 20% of granulated scrap may be used without problems.

Requirements of shoe solings

In order to provide adequate service during wear, it is necessary for a soling to have the following basic properties:

* Good adhesion to the upper part of the shoe;

* adequate wear resistance;

* resistance to flex cracking; and

* high coefficient of friction.

Adhesion

Adhesion problems were initially a serious handicap to the use of thermoplastic rubber in solings as established footwear bonding systems gave poor results. The breakthrough came with the development of the halogenation process (ref. 1) which chlorinates the butadiene in thermoplastic rubber, enabling good bonding with polyurethane adhesives.

Table 1 - sole adhesion after surface chlorination

Soling Peel force Type of f
compound (N/mm) ailure

1 11.6 100R
2 12.1 100R
3 10.2 50AR 50SR

Bonds without surface chlorination < 1 N/mm.

R - rubber tear; SR - surface rubber failure;

AR - adhesion to rubber failure

The process originally used aqueous chlorine, but is now mostly done using solvent-borne halogenation primers, although a reversion to aqueous systems is a possibility to meet current restrictions on solvent emissions.

The adhesion mechanism is thought to rely on an increase in the polarity of the surface and the formation of hydrogen bonds between the polyurethane and the chlorine introduced into the butadiene molecule.

Care in carrying out the bonding process is needed as thermoplastic rubber is sensitive to solvents in both primers and adhesives, and gentle application and adequate drying times are essential to avoid surface weakening. On the other hand, an extended drying or open time may cause problems of poor tack due to migration of oil from the rubber to the adhesive surface.

[Figure 4 ILLUSTRATION OMITTED]

These results tend to suggest that some thermoplastic rubber compounds are sensitive to changes in temperature. In practice, it is therefore important to select temperature insensitive compounds if they are to perform satisfactorily in service under different climatic conditions.

[Figure 5 ILLUSTRATION OMITTED]

Other performance factors

Thermoplastic rubber has a poor resistance to oils, fats, organic solvents and hot surfaces, which makes it unsuitable for most types of industrial footwear.

Summary and conclusions

Styrenic thermoplastic rubber has found a niche as a soling of rubbery appearance with adequate wear properties. It is favored in cold or seasonably cold climates as found in much of Northern Europe and North America, especially for its good flex crack and slip resistance. It is more expensive than PVC, but the price differential is more marked in some countries, including the U.K., than others. Usage is constrained by the availability of cheaper, well established alternatives such as PVC and sheet rubber for fashion and everyday footwear, by inferior properties to vulcanized rubbers and polyure-thanes for heavy duty applications, and by sporadic adhesion difficulties.

Last edited:
I was just looking on one listed on eBay.

Hello, What batch is this figure from, first, second or third? Dollman
答: Third bacth, but do have problem with the oil leakage. So far, 3 out of 40. But they all get exchanged from HT. Thanks for asking regards Guo Bei
2010-04-06

Dropped my preorder today. Even if this gets fixed, it's a matter of principle for me now, HT will not directly acknowledge this problem so I see no need for them to get my money. It's a damn shame, because it's such a beautiful figure.

Care in carrying out the bonding process is needed as thermoplastic rubber is sensitive to solvents in both primers and adhesives, and gentle application and adequate drying times are essential to avoid surface weakening. On the other hand, an extended drying or open time may cause problems of poor tack due to migration of oil from the rubber to the adhesive surface.

huh that's interesting. so the oil is being cause by the fact that HT let the batsuit air out too long? well at least it sounds like an easy fix...i can't wait to get this figure!

got reply from hot toys.

"Hello,

Sorry for keep you waiting!

With regards to your DX Batman replacement request, we have taken it into consideration and decided to replace a new body for you.

Please kindly send the defective body (without accessories & original packaging box) to our office for replacement.

Hot Toys Ltd.

Please let us know after the parcel is sent.

Please kindly noted that the oil leakage problem has been greatly improved in the replacement body that we are sending to you.

There may be slim chances of leakage, but it shall not cause much inconvenience to your enjoyment of the collectible figure.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused and thank you for your support for Hot Toys products!

Best regards,

SA/ Hot Toys"

gonna send my batman this saturday.. they always said about the oil leakage problem. but the truth is, i'm complaining about burned crotch.

either way, i'm getting my replacement.

got reply from hot toys.

"Hello,

Sorry for keep you waiting!

With regards to your DX Batman replacement request, we have taken it into consideration and decided to replace a new body for you.

Please kindly send the defective body (without accessories & original packaging box) to our office for replacement.

Hot Toys Ltd.

Please let us know after the parcel is sent.

Please kindly noted that the oil leakage problem has been greatly improved in the replacement body that we are sending to you.

There may be slim chances of leakage, but it shall not cause much inconvenience to your enjoyment of the collectible figure.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused and thank you for your support for Hot Toys products!

Best regards,

SA/ Hot Toys"

gonna send my batman this saturday.. they always said about the oil leakage problem. but the truth is, i'm complaining about burned crotch.

either way, i'm getting my replacement.

Thats exactly the same mail I received, I wonder how many of them they are replacing?

Dropped my preorder today. Even if this gets fixed, it's a matter of principle for me now, HT will not directly acknowledge this problem so I see no need for them to get my money. It's a damn shame, because it's such a beautiful figure.

You are a strong man. I applaud you! :clap

I haven't worked up the willpower yet. :(

I still really want this "beautiful figure."

I think it's safe to say, this is the official HT answer to this problem now, and same would apply to the figures being sent to DCD.

I think it's safe to say, this is the official HT answer to this problem now, and same would apply to the figures being sent to DCD.

That's enough for me to decide I might not be buying any more HT figures new. I see no reason to support a company that takes such a cavalier attitude to customer service and defects in their product. "Won't detract from your experience" my ass. I work in customer service and my ass would be canned if I took an attitude like that. It's shameful.

So then... where does health and safety regulations come into play with this when chemicals are coming to the surface.

Thats the thing, what happens if a teenager wipes it and forgets to wash their hands sticks their finger in their mouth like eating a bar of chocolate. Wipe the figure and clean their fingers with their mouth from the chocolate as well.

It's not the first that has happened.

Well in that scenario, frankly, the kid has it coming. While yes, HT shipping a figure leaking a possibly harmful substance is their responsibilithy, I'm also tired of it always being the corporation's fault. If you're touching an unknown substance and can't think to wash your hands afterward, that's on you. Companies shouldn't be required to think for people, there's too much of that in this world and it's no wonder people are getting as dumb as they are.

Thats the thing, what happens if a teenager wipes it and forgets to wash their hands sticks their finger in their mouth like eating a bar of chocolate. Wipe the figure and clean their fingers with their mouth from the chocolate as well.

It's not the first that has happened.

Or if your toddler knocks it off the shelf and it finds it's way into the mouth of your infant, however briefly?

Well in that scenario, frankly, the kid has it coming. While yes, HT shipping a figure leaking a possibly harmful substance is their responsibilithy, I'm also tired of it always being the corporation's fault. If you're touching an unknown substance and can't think to wash your hands afterward, that's on you. Companies shouldn't be required to think for people, there's too much of that in this world and it's no wonder people are getting as dumb as they are.

I understand stupid kids and irresponsible parents, but accidents do happen and HT should at least make certain a figure they're offering is safe. Not stating that a company has to think for people, but out of the box, their figure shouldn't be leaking something toxic and all they do is expect others to pick up the safety ball they dropped. Not only will there be collectors completely oblivious as to why the figure's leaking, but those that know, shouldn't have to lock it away nor have Poison Control on speed-dial because Hot Toys can't be ____ing bothered to fix this issue. I think your opinion on the matter would be entirely different if you had kids bud. It's a whole different level of responsibility and awareness. :lol

Last edited:
I think before my kid gets poisoned by the leaking oil it will choke on all the small sharp and solid plastics that will be part of most figures. Having kids around will require things to be stored inside cases and cabinets
of cause I am not sure until what age kids continue sticking stuff in their mouth :p. But you are right. I gotto unlearn a whole set of assumptions to even come close to predicting what could happen

Replacement body sent to me started to ooze the oil. It's less than the original, bit still very noticiable. A few days after I put the belt, the shining started to show and a few days it starred to become wet. So, no it's not fixed. Emailed HT about it but had still no response. Allready done the tissue between layers of the costume but it didint stop. It's a shame...

I really do wonder how they'll handle replacements thats already been replaced and are still defective.

Do they take the route of ignoring, or say sorry it's already been replaced. You're not entitled to anymore replacements.

Back