DX02 residue in abdominal area, has yours shown signs of it?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has your DX02 shown signs of residue buildup in the abdominal area?

• Total voters
Excellent post, Rorywan. It appears to me that in an effort to squeeze maximum flexibility out of the suit, the manufacturer has produced a material that is leeching badly due to contact with other surfaces. Just as a Band-Aid will draw a pimple to the skin's surface, the belt, shoulder pads, etc. are drawing out the petroleum in the suit pieces. The oils are attacking the surface detail where they are collecting, and this will more than likely continue. This is a bad situation, one that HT should address with their customers. I knew the first time I removed the HT OC Bats form the box that this figure would require constant maintenance to keep the suit fresh, and would still eventually become brittle or disintegrate. That's looking 20 years down the road, but this is inexcusable.

What's really sad is that the DC Direct BB and TDK figures will be around long after these have turned to goo.

Ok looks like Rorywan had posted my assumption even before I assumed it. :D Anyway I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thinks this and that it's a matter for everyone to consider before purchasing this figure. It will not last as long as all your other figures. The shelf life of this figure is a lot shorter than any other figure we'll have. Unfortunately because this is a great GREAT figure.

Has anyone else considered this after they found out about the problem. Doesn't it just break your heart??

A nice theory, but the v1 TDK figure's suit was more flexible than the DX, so if they were changing materials for that reason they failed.

The v1 has a rubberized under suit, which by it's very nature is more flexible than vinyl or any polymer plastic, but it won't hold the sculptural detail that the vinyl will. Making polymer plastics is like making ice cream. More butterfat makes it taste better, but too much will ruin it.

Anyway you slice it, what we are seeing here is a chemical process that will probably exacerbate over time.

I have the original '89 Takara Batman, and the pleather suit and cape are slowly disintergrating. There's nothing I can do about it but mourn. Some collectors that have the Medicom Vader have experienced the same thing.

It's really sad to hear that all our money spent on any 1/6 figure will eventually go to waste since they're inevitably going to break down. :'( Breaks my heart to know that my Superman and Batman figures wont last. Even worse to think about is how my Bruce Lee collection will break down down the line. :monkey2

Don't despair quite yet. I have Captain Action figures with costumes that are made of fabric, vinyl, and plastic that look fantastic considering that they are 44 years old. The problem is this vinyl that's coming from manufacturers (mainly in China) these days. It's simply too unstable to last. There has to be a solution.

action1.jpg

well i said it once and i'll say it again i did what crow said and have no problems what so ever. I might come home tomorrow and have a pile of goo, but i enjoyed it while i had it. No bicept problems or stomach just need that batpod no one has it

I will cancel my DX 02 Batman because of the oil problem. That's a shame because I really wanted this figure. I love the movie and this Bat is a work of art really, but with this huge problem, to me not worth the money, because I am not that rich.:monkey2:monkey2 I hope there will be an improved version at the 3rd batch without the oil issue and I hope I will find a problem free version on Ebay. Until than I will buying the DX 01 Joker. But what the Joker worth without the Batman?:mad: I am disappointed in HT. They don't do anything to solve the problem at all itt seems...This is just pissing me off...

Last edited:
Now I'm thankful that I never pulled the trigger on the DX's. I have not purchased either the new Joker or Batman, mainly because I feel the eyes are disproportionately large on both. I know the PERS thingy is the new hotness, but I honestly don't like the look of the heads and feel that HT has gone to the Bat-well too many times. I'm truly sorry for those that have the DX 02 and the "oil problem," and feel that HT should make amends with the collectors who support them so loyally. Sure, this absolutely pales in comparison to the current Toyota fiasco (where lives have been needlessly lost,) but companies should stand behind their products.

I own both DXs. While the Joker is problem free, I agree that it is disappointing that the Batman has this oil problem.
Nevertheless, I don't think the oil will take away the enjoyment you get from owing this great figure. Mine is not bad at all actually as it only shows on the lower abdomen area and I only have to wipe it like once every 2 days.
My suggestion is not to preorder if you are highly concern of the oil problem. Have a look at it first at your local store, and if you like it and feel that the oil is a small problem, buy it. If not, you could always pass on it.

I haven't been wiping mine regularly at all. Don't see the point really.

It is annoying about rubber figures generally though - some of them could be transferred to plastic bodies in years to come, wouldn't look as good but you could somewhat salvage them when the rubber deteriorates. How do you salvage Batman though?? You can't.

Received mine today and oil on both bottom abs. I dabbed it away using a Q tip. Going on 5 hrs without but like a psychotic ex girlfriend, I'm sure it will return.

Now I'm thankful that I never pulled the trigger on the DX's. I have not purchased either the new Joker or Batman, mainly because I feel the eyes are disproportionately large on both. I know the PERS thingy is the new hotness, but I honestly don't like the look of the heads and feel that HT has gone to the Bat-well too many times. I'm truly sorry for those that have the DX 02 and the "oil problem," and feel that HT should make amends with the collectors who support them so loyally. Sure, this absolutely pales in comparison to the current Toyota fiasco (where lives have been needlessly lost,) but companies should stand behind their products.

oh come on man .....the eyes are perfect...the oil should never have happened though...but the joker dx is fantastic...if you dont get that one then its your loss:naughty

Okay guys. Maybe I won't cancel the figure but I have a question about the oil problem first and I need you help, answer. Will the oil leak damage the figure at any way? What are your experience? I saw some photos where the rubber melted and the paint job damaged. Oh and also I hope the oil will stop at some time, because it can't go on forever. What are you suggesting? Buy or not buy? Sry for my english. I really need this beauty but I have a few issue and this is why I really really need you help folks.

Last edited:
Okay guys. Maybe I won't cancel the figure but I have a question about the oil problem first and I need you help, answer. Will the oil leak damage the figure at any way? What are your experience? I saw some photos where the rubber melted and the paint job damaged. Oh and also I hope the oil will stop at some time, because it can't go on forever. What are you suggesting? Buy or not buy? Sry for my english. I really need this beauty but I have a few issue and this is why I need you help folks.

The damaged paint is coming from wiping the oil away to much. It is advisable to dab rather than wipe, or to wipe less frequently.

Don't know if the rubber has ever really "melted", some have said that that those pictures were really of rubber damaged by pulling it apart where glued.

My only concern is that the "oil" needs to be in the rubber for the rubber to last. Will the rubber dry out and crack/deteriorate without the fluid?

Where are you getting your figure from? I assume your ordering it from a European seller, which means you will almost certainly have the leakage problem. If you order from a US seller instead you will get a 3rd batch figure. Might have the leakage problem fixed by then if you are willing to wait.

The damaged paint is coming from wiping the oil away to much. It is advisable to dab rather than wipe, or to wipe less frequently.

Don't know if the rubber has ever really "melted", some have said that that those pictures were really of rubber damaged by pulling it apart where glued.

My only concern is that the "oil" needs to be in the rubber for the rubber to last. Will the rubber dry out and crack/deteriorate without the fluid?

Where are you getting your figure from? I assume your ordering it from a European seller, which means you will almost certainly have the leakage problem. If you order from a US seller instead you will get a 3rd batch figure. Might have the leakage problem fixed by then if you are willing to wait.

Thanks for the answer. I am planning to ordering it from Ebay. When the 3rd batch figure will come out? I am willing to wait if it's necessary of course.

Yeah the 3rd batch is between April and June and if I remember correctly from way back it is coming in May.

As for the oil, the oil never melted any of the rubber. That was glue that took the top coating off leaving that dreadful inset mark.

Oh and at BigBadStore we can preorder the Batman from the 3rd batch right?

Edit: Never mind. Vodoun just answered my question. As I see they are shipping items to Hungary too so this will be good for me. Really thy Maglor!! :)

The quoted date is May 5 or was it 15? I dunno but one of those. It said in some comic resource book all comic book stores use i think.

Back