Dust off Your Shelves Looks Like The Bela Lugosi Bust is shipping!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
galactiboy said:
He probably could come out looking constipated pretty easily if SS had got it wrong :lol

:lol

Great pictures, Anton! I feel like Bela is telling me to buy him.

Anton Phibes said:
Okay, Cursed1941...I am gonna give this another shot. No flash per your request and tried to focus primarily on the face.

Thanks for your time Anton... yup sending mine back, your paint looks alot better than mine..

Thanks again for the pics

Cursed 1941 said:
Thanks for your time Anton... yup sending mine back, your paint looks alot better than mine..

Thanks again for the pics

Do you have a digital camera? Just for my own knowledge, I would like to know what it is that upsets you about the paint. If you have a camera could you post a pic here in this link? It may help other freaks when they get theirs to do a comparison between your paint apps. and mine. Thanks, and I hope you get it all worked out.

Anton Phibes said:
1. It TOWERS above the Ardeth Bey 1:1 Bust. This thing is colossal. Pics to follow shortly. It's more bang for the buck to be sure. But it's not in scale with Ardeth. That's my only gripe.

It looks perfectly in scale to me. I think the issue is not one of scale, but rather one of size.

The Dracula bust has a much larger chest/shoulder area, and the base appears larger as well. Note how the Ardeth sculpt cuts off just below his collar, while the Dracula bust extends all the way down almost half of his shirt.

I greatly prefer the look of the "extended" Dracula, and I really wish that SS did the Darth Maul this way. Maul should have flowed elegantly into the base instead of being cut-off and suspended on a stick.

elwood49 said:
It looks perfectly in scale to me. I think the issue is not one of scale, but rather one of size.

The Dracula bust has a much larger chest/shoulder area, and the base appears larger as well. Note how the Ardeth sculpt cuts off just below his collar, while the Dracula bust extends all the way down almost half of his shirt.

I greatly prefer the look of the "extended" Dracula, and I really wish that SS did the Darth Maul this way. Maul should have flowed elegantly into the base instead of being cut-off and suspended on a stick.

Did you get them both? I had them both on the coffee table last night. You may be right, but doesn't Dracula's head look bigger to you? I realize they went down further. Ardeth appears to cut off right at the clavicle. Dracula goes below the clavicle and appears to almost have the entire shoulder area included. His base is also MUCH larger. But doesn't his head look...I dunno...just a little bigger than Ardeth's to you?

Anton Phibes said:
Did you get them both? I had them both on the coffee table last night. You may be right, but doesn't Dracula's head look bigger to you? I realize they went down further. Ardeth appears to cut off right at the clavicle. Dracula goes below the clavicle and appears to almost have the entire shoulder area included. His base is also MUCH larger. But doesn't his head look...I dunno...just a little bigger than Ardeth's to you?

Do you or anyon eelse have comparison pictures with the two busts next to eachtother ?
I have Ardeth and may buy Dracula, but I read things about the size ...

Well Bela arrived today, I can not say enough nice things about this piece. The Paint apps are perfect the whole bust is just incredible! Photos taken at home can not due justice to this piece, the photos on the sideshow site are the best. My piece is just like looking at the prototype it is that good. To me the skin tone is perfect, not too dark and not too lite. I received Number 16/250. :D

No word on a shipping notice for mine yet. I'm gonna be bummed if the paint is enough of a problem that I send it back. Grr.

Vince said:
Do you or anyon eelse have comparison pictures with the two busts next to eachtother ?
I have Ardeth and may buy Dracula, but I read things about the size ...
These are SIDE BY SIDE. They are not to scale with one another as far as I am concerned. Dracula has a big head. BIG HEAD. BIIIIIIGGGG HHHEEEAAADDD. Seriously though,they are both great pieces. But unless Karloff was considerably smaller than Lugosi then there is a slight boo boo in scale. IN MY OPINION.

Whoa, those do look out of scale.

Anyone think the icon in the newsletter about Black & White Friday is the SSE 1:1 bust? Looks like it to me.

blackwhitefri.gif

Anton Phibes said:
These are SIDE BY SIDE. They are not to scale with one another as far as I am concerned. Dracula has a big head. BIG HEAD. BIIIIIIGGGG HHHEEEAAADDD. Seriously though,they are both great pieces. But unless Karloff was considerably smaller than Lugosi then there is a slight boo boo in scale. IN MY OPINION.

Thanks for the pic

and what a size difference !

I hoped they would be alike in height.
Now you can't really display them next to eachother I think.
If you watch Lugosi/Karloff movies, Karloff always seemed the bigger one to me...

Ok, I did some measuring of Bela against Ardeth. I Had to use a shoestring to do so as I did not have a cloth tape measurer. (Did not want to scratch my paint).
I measured the circumference of both heads, and the oval of both faces. I then laid the shoestring flat against my metal tape measurer to get the results. With Ardeth I had to guess at the top of his head because of the Fez on the oval of his face. But here are my Results.

Ardeth Head Circumference- 23 1/2 inches
Oval of Ardeths Face- 27 inches

Bela Circumference- 25 1/2 inches
Oval of Belas Face - 28 inches

My Measurements- Head Circumfernce - 23 1/2 inches
Oval of my face-26

Head Circumference measurements were taken just above the brow on both. And the Oval of the face Circumference, from under the chin and over the top of the head, just in front of sideburns.
Since Iam 6ft and 152lbs and of a Thin build. I would say that we are within a normal range for for both Busts. I was surprised by these results. Bela does seem to have a larger head (circumference wise, by a whole inch and 3/4s I don't know how this compares to different peoples hat sizes) than Ardeth, but to me by the measurements its not that out of scale for two different individuals. Anyone have a better way to solve this? Also maybe its because Bela is on a taller base. Im sure there are things I should have taken into consideration doing this. But thought this would be a simple way.
OOPS my bad the 1 and 3/4s inches should be 2 inches found out my mistake when i rechecked my figures this morning. That does seem to be a big difference. Sorry for the misinformation.

Last edited:
I am very happy that Sideshow gave us a good amount of chest area and base area on Bela. I much prefer this approach than them shrinking down both of these areas just to try and match the overall height of the Ardeth Bay. My compliements to Sideshow for making a great judgment call. For that kind of money, we should be getting a lot of "size" to the piece.

Also. some people like to display 1/1 busts together, which is why they might want overall height of the pieces to be the same. In my opinion, displaying life-sized busts separately is much more artistically interesting. Your better off putting some of your other pieces next to and in between the busts, and having your other bust(s) be dispalyed in different areas of the room. Much more appealing to the eye in my opinion.

Back