Dune (2020) by Dennis Villeneuve

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bull fighting symbolism didn't come up as often in the book as it did in the film which is why I assume that people who haven't read the book might assume that it was bigger than it was, lol. In the book Duke Leto kept both a painting of his father (shown briefly in the movie) and the preserved head of the actual bull that killed him displayed at opposite ends of his dining hall as a constant reminder to never let your guard down with regard to potential assassination attempts and other dangers. Paul's grandfather fought bulls as a hobby but the implication was that he was killed by a bull after thinking he'd worn it out and turned his back on it to embrace the cheers of the crowd. So the painting and the head were constant reminders to never do any version of that.

At another point in the book those two objects speak to self awareness with regard to being able to determine whether you're the bull or the matador when going against another person. I think the movie did run with that in the Paul/Jamis duel like you mentioned with Jamis thinking he was the matador until realizing too late that it was the other way around.

Oh yeah, they kept showing that head in the movie. Maybe I should read the book. :)

Oh yeah, they kept showing that head in the movie. Maybe I should read the book. :)
Definitely a viable alternative to waiting three years for Villeneuve's version to end, lol. The novel does take its time to get the story going but once the worldbuilding and various political intrigues are established man does it become a page turner for hundreds of pages on end.

Definitely a viable alternative to waiting three years for Villeneuve's version to end, lol. The novel does take its time to get the story going but once the worldbuilding and various political intrigues are established man does it become a page turner for hundreds of pages on end.
Oh good, so if I start reading it tomorrow, I should finish the novel just in time for the sequel, 4 years from now. :lol

Okay after a second viewing there's still pluses and minuses but I was much more satisfied with the ending this time.
Same. Rewatched it tonight on HBO with subtitles on. Picked up on a lot more. The film also felt generally better balanced on a second, more attentive viewing. Amending my score to a 9/10.

Think it was real. Guessing they'll ride the worms into battle in part 2... :lol

Maybe he can use the voice on the worms? He befriends the main worm and becomes lord of the worms or something like Aquaman. My guess riding the worm takes some kind of special skill so it will take Paul time to do it and when he does, then he'll be ready for battle. Khev is probably laughing now because he knows what happens with the worms and I don't. He read the book. :LOL:

so it will take Paul time to do it and when he does, then he'll be ready for battle. Khev is probably laughing now because he knows what happens with the worms and I don't. He read the book. :LOL:
Until then...
BlackandwhiteDrearyCoot-size_restricted.gif

It would be nice if that new company announced something this week.

And that it didn't suck.

Prime 1 will be showing their first Dune products this week.

"The difference is just that Dune: Part One, of course, is like an introduction to a world where we explain who is who, who is doing what, and what is the technology? What is the culture here? The second movie, I think, will be an opportunity to have much more fun. In a way, it will be more cinematic. That's what I can say."

https://screenrant.com/dune-2021-movie-denis-villeneuve-interview/

I also changed my score from a 6.5 to a 6.6.

I didn’t sign up for crib sheet Dune when Khev has to explain the movie to fill in the missing emotional beats you failed Denis lol

Sass 1
Denis 0
:lol
Like it better on a rewatch, but IMO, it's the Cliff Notes version. Homogenized for a general audience and/or folks who don't speak English as a native language maybe. Still a 7/10 for me. I would've told Denis you gotta have a an epic speech or two. Some mysticism. Stage trained English actors. :monkey3

"The difference is just that Dune: Part One, of course, is like an introduction to a world where we explain who is who, who is doing what, and what is the technology? What is the culture here? The second movie, I think, will be an opportunity to have much more fun. In a way, it will be more cinematic. That's what I can say."

https://screenrant.com/dune-2021-movie-denis-villeneuve-interview/

Ok, I'll wait 2-3 years. Not gonna tell my bro tho they haven't even started filming part 2 yet. Unlike me, he knows nothing about Dune - seeing it tomorrow. That's 2-3 years of trying to keep my mouth shut about what happens, eventually.:crying

Last edited:
:lol
Like it better on a rewatch, but IMO, it's the Cliff Notes version. Homogenized for a general audience and/or folks who don't speak English as a native language maybe.
Reading some of the negative audience reviews, it still seems like some people got filtered. :dunnoHowever abridged this may be, it's still not a typical "turn your brain off" blockbuster and I commend it for that.

Reading some of the negative audience reviews, it still seems like some people got filtered. :dunnoHowever abridged this may be, it's still not a typical "turn your brain off" blockbuster and I commend it for that.
True. And more story to tell.

Back