Dumb book related questions...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
boner.

funny-comic-joker-boner.jpg

Wonder if anyone was still alive, besides the elves.....or do the Undying Lands give you an extended life?.......hum....don't think that was ever addressed. Stuff to ponder....

Not really explained in great detail but Tolkien did say some interesting things regarding Frodo (and other ringbearers) and what would happen to them in the Undying lands...

Letter 154 - September 25, 1954
I have said nothing in this book, but the mythical idea underlying is that for mortals, since their 'kind' cannot be changed for ever, this is strictly only a temporary reward: a healing and redress of suffering. They cannot abide for ever, and though they cannot return to mortal earth, they can and will 'die' - of free will, and leave the world.

The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien is a wonderful book that can help you dive even deeper into the world The Professor created since its his own thoughts and answers to questions posed to him over the years. It's kinda like a reference book (to me), so not something I would sit down and read cover to cover.

Well seeing as its the place were people go when they die anyway (the Halls of Mandos is part of the Undying Lands I believe) it doesn't really matter.

Well, they pass through the Hall of Mandos and then go to an unknown 'afterlife' that Tolkien didn't talk about IIRC. So, they spend some time in Valinor, but never set outside of the Hall. I also seem to recall (though it's been many years since I read The Sil) that mortals were envied because they were able to go to this unknown place after death instead of toiling away in the Undying Lands until the end of time.

Dead Elves go there as well.
But they are reborn within Valinor though no? The immortal ones that is. Those that have the choice of a mortal life and take it will pass through the halls and then onto the 'unknown', whereas the immortals pass through the halls and end up back in the lands of Valinor to dwell. That's what makes the parting of Elrond and Arwen that much sadder since they know they probably will never meet again.

Only read the Sil once, the hardback illustrated edition.

I see they've released all the ME books in paperback but still with all the illustrations. I'm gonna pop into the city NOW and pick up the paperback Sil. Much easier to cart around than a hardback.

Back