DST Monsters next wave

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to TRU today but they didn't have them. I'll get the Bride and Frank when I see them.

I wouldn't mind any of them taking a crack at the roles, I just don't think a company should be trying to pass them off as Legosi, Karloff and Lanchester aka "the original monsters." Either put the money into doing remakes or stop cheaping out and pay for the likeness rights. And if they already/still have them, then WTF?! :monkey1

:goodpost::exactly:

The problem is, they don't look like the characters I grew up with. If you're into figures named after specific Universal monsters but with generic likenesses, good for you. I have higher standards. :dunno

They suck. Thats all there is to it. I just went and looked at the figures today at my LCS. Dang if my 12 year old son couldnt put a better paint application on those. TERRIBLE. ESPECIALLY FRANKENSTEIN.

Its a crying shame that a decade after SSC brought us those really nice 8 inch figures that we set the bar lower. Their Marvel figures arent painted like this!!!! These are atrocious. The Karloff sculpt has potential if painted correctly. I may try to get one in trade solely to re-paint it to show everyone exactly how piss poor the paint apps really are.:peace:monkey3

I picked up a set. For $15 each they're not bad. Also, I like the Bride and Frank. I was hoping to get 2 Brides but only one store out of three got them and that store only got 5 total, and one Bride.

The problem is, they don't look like the characters I grew up with. If you're into figures named after specific Universal monsters but with generic likenesses, good for you. I have higher standards. :dunno

:goodpost::exactly:
These have gotta be accurate for me to buy them, no generic likeness will do for me either.

i guess hard times, have caused diamond select, to cheap out on paint jobs,etc.( using cheaper factiores), kinda like neca's quality has gone down here lately.

I have to wonder if the Dracula they made is meant to be somewhere in between Bela Lugosi and John Carradine. While the features are Lugosi, the build seems to be more Carradine. John Carradine and Bela Lugosi both played the vampire only twice for Universal, so while it may be an odd decision, that's what I'm picturing it as.
453092.jpg
450531.jpg

I don't think anyone's justifying anything.

They're great toys whether you think so or not.

We should be able to discuss them here without people slamming them for their likeness every other post. This is a toy forum right? If you don't give a ____ about them, move on to the next thread.

Wanna know why I like them? Because I didn't like how sideshow used textile on the action figures, I think it makes them more like dolls.

& the bottom line is that this is a great addition to movie maniacs & cult classics in a stagnant toy market. I've very grateful to be able to collect these now vs collecting nothing, which is what i've been doing.

And PS - I think he looks more like the Dracula from Monster Squad than Bela - but it doesn't matter, it's a great Drac with an amazing cape!!!

I have to wonder if the Dracula they made is meant to be somewhere in between Bela Lugosi and John Carradine. While the features are Lugosi, the build seems to be more Carradine. John Carradine and Bela Lugosi both played the vampire only twice for Universal, so while it may be an odd decision, that's what I'm picturing it as.
453092.jpg
450531.jpg

Universal doesn't have Lugosi's likeness rights for the most part -- even Sideshow got the likeness later when making the figures...

I picked up The Bride at TRU today. Perhaps a bit of an impulsive purchase, especially considering the Monster looks terrible. But I've been in love with The Bride since childhood and she is certainly the best looking of the three new figures. The Elsa likeness is in there, somewhere, when looking at her from the right angle. Overall she looks nice on my desk, so I guess I could have done worse with my 15 bucks.

I don't think anyone's justifying anything.

They're great toys whether you think so or not.
an amazing cape!!!

They're crappy toys whether you think so or not. If you think they are wonderful then hurray for you. But the fellas who have been on these boards and have witnessed superior products YEARS AGO have every right to complain about the junky DST figures. They have horrible paints, that look as if Helen Keller did them whilst sucking on an opium pipe..... and DST screwed up the Creature sculpt by elongating his head at a cheap factory. It makes him look as if he is from Bikini Bottom and is stopping by the Krusty Krab for a bite to eat.

They dont even hold a candle to the $12.99 figures Sideshow offered in 1999. But you may not remember that, because you might be a youngster. SSC brought better paints, better sculpts, and were the first and (so far) the best figures of the Universal Monsters in that scale of this type. DST's figures had potential but its been shot to a bloody pulp. Heck--these toys are better and they're only 3 3/4 inches tall and 30+ years old.:mad::lecture

I realize you like the figures. I am glad someone does. Seriously. But it cant be me...or Nam...or many others whose trigger they fail miserably at tripping. But hey, man---to each his own.:peace

I do like Dracula's cape. Its perfect for the Shadow, Moon Knight or Batman. But Dracula....it looks off to me. But I still like it. Now--compare the monsters to DST's Marvel figures and you will see just how badly they are skimping on our beloved monsters.

hv60upmymg08342.jpg

you should be able to tell how old i am from my username and i already said why i didn't like sideshow's UM dolls...

but that's irrelevant.

what i was saying is that we should be able to freely talk about these toys without you or or anyone else killing the discussion with something negative EVERY time someone posts on these threads.

you hinder the conversation, you discourage people from posting and it's an annoyingly negative attitude.

i think you both made your points over and over and over again, there's no reason to outright kill the thread just because you are disappointed in the line.

Last edited:
Back