Drawing Tablet Suggestions?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuffBuff

Capitalist ex-demon
Reaction score
Hey all!

I've currently gotten into this mood where I want to design Tshirts. I have Adobe Illustrator and have messed around in that. But ultimately, I hate drawing things with a computer mouse, it's frustrating for me.

SO... I have been looking into drawing tablets so I can simply do freehand. Does anyone have any suggestions for good tablets? Or maybe something alternative they can recommend for this venture, as I am in complete foreign territory with wanting to create tshirt designs.

I'm kind of not looking to spend a whole lot, not just yet anyways. I'd like to get my footing in this before jumping in with a $200-300 tablet.

Any recommendations would be great and appreciated :)

I know you said you don't want to spend a lot, but I've been looking into the Asus EP121 EEE Pad myself.
But it's $1,000. :gah:

My wife uses the Intuos 4 as well. I would not suggest the bamboo, because the bamboo is more for regular consumers, whereas the intuos is for professionals. There are 4 sizes and my wife uses the Large. She doesn't do a ton of digital drawing or coloring right now though. She still prefers more traditional mediums, like pastels (and right now she is learning airbrush).

Thank you all for your suggestions! :)

Yes, i think a couple weeks ago when I started looking into these, I liked the Intuos the most. Just not sure what size. I feel the small may be too small of a screen, but is really the most affordable for me right now.

My wife uses the Intuos 4 as well. I would not suggest the bamboo, because the bamboo is more for regular consumers, whereas the intuos is for professionals. There are 4 sizes and my wife uses the Large. She doesn't do a ton of digital drawing or coloring right now though. She still prefers more traditional mediums, like pastels (and right now she is learning airbrush).

Lol, I am with your wife, I much prefer more traditional means of drawing. I'm not so used to doing it on a computer through a program. Alas, I can't draw directly onto tshirts and sell them. If I could, I would :lol

Phenix or BuffBuff, have either of you heard much about the nibs and surface issue on the 4? Is it really an issue?

I'll be in the market in Q4, so if anyone knows the answer to this I would appreciate it.

Thanks for starting this thread, BuffBuff!

I don't mean to boast or anything... But I'm gonna.

After using a Cintiq 21UX at work for a couple of years, I just had to pick one up for home. Working directly on the screen makes a huge difference. However they are crazy expensive.

An alternative if you have an iPad then I recommend the Wacom Bamboo paper free app and a stylus. Not a huge range of options with it at the moment but it is very responsive. Makes a cool sketchpad. Art Rage is also nice for paint effects - it has a noticeable lag though.

I don't mean to boast or anything... But I'm gonna.

interestingg.jpg

Phenix or BuffBuff, have either of you heard much about the nibs and surface issue on the 4? Is it really an issue?

I'll be in the market in Q4, so if anyone knows the answer to this I would appreciate it.

Thanks for starting this thread, BuffBuff!

I'm using the 3 and I haven't had any issues with it going on two years now. I use it a lot as it is my default mouse as well as a graphics tool. I don't think you can go wrong with the Intuos line, and get as large a tablet as your budget allows - I think having a drawing surface that is as close a match to your display is a good move.

LOL Devil
And that brunette withe jiggly @ss in the Hot Girls thread looks even more awesome on my cintiq.

I'm using the 3 and I haven't had any issues with it going on two years now. I use it a lot as it is my default mouse as well as a graphics tool. I don't think you can go wrong with the Intuos line, and get as large a tablet as your budget allows - I think having a drawing surface that is as close a match to your display is a good move.

Thanks for the input, Lejuan!

That's what I've read, too, that the 3 is very good, if not excellent. I've read mixed reviews on the 4, though due to the nibs and new surface.

I agree with the drawing surface, too. I know that drawing on a smaller tablet than my screen would bother me.

Have you had problems with the nibs or surface wearing out?

The nibs do wear out faster than before. But the surface is still fine. There's nothing to stop the nibs from wearing out, but if you're concerned about the surface there's a protectice layer you can put on it.

And I'd get a Cintiq if I could--that would be ideal.

The nibs do wear out faster than before. But the surface is still fine. There's nothing to stop the nibs from wearing out, but if you're concerned about the surface there's a protectice layer you can put on it.

And I'd get a Cintiq if I could--that would be ideal.

Good to hear, and thanks for the feedback, darthviper107! :duff

I would LOVE a Cintiq!!! :thud:

BuffBuff is reading all of this and taking it into consideration. She works 7 days a week so she hasn't had much time to stop in. But she is thankful to ya all.

BuffBuff is reading all of this and taking it into consideration. She works 7 days a week so she hasn't had much time to stop in. But she is thankful to ya all.

Ok, cool. I was hoping she wasn't upset with me asking so many questions.

Please tell her thanks again for starting up this thread! :)

As far as drawing tablets go the best would be the Wacom Intuos. However, designing t-shirts would be a lot easier if it was done hands on. Painting directly on or using stencil & airbrushing is much better. Just my 2 cents.

Back