DOFP or CA:TWS

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DOFP or TWS

• X-Men: Days of Future Past

Votes: 37 37.8%
  • Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Votes: 61 62.2%

• Total voters
Adding GOTG would probably split the Cap vote a bit.

I saw that Metacritic and Rottentomatoes have high ratings for both of these, but both also have X-Men rated more highly.

What makes you think that? I think the stronger truth is--there are many more Marvel Studios (i.e., "Iron Man and Friends") fans than fans of the other comic movie studios, and that strongly affects allegiances and preferences as well.

I guess I consider it common knowledge that Wolverine is more popular than Captain America. I don't believe that the casual movie goer lumps the entire MCU together as "Iron Man and Friends." If so then that would suggest that a solo Hawkeye or Pepper Potts movie would do as well or better than the X-Men.

Of course Wolverine is more popular than Captain America, thats why there is a cartoon called Wolverine and the X-Men and not Captain America and the Avengers. We live in the age of the anti-hero, where the honorable guy is too square and not cool. We accept that everyone lies, and no one has honor, and that the ends justify the means. Personally I was surprised Cap did so well while still maintaining the integrity of the character.

Of course Wolverine is more popular than Captain America, thats why there is a cartoon called Wolverine and the X-Men and not Captain America and the Avengers. We live in the age of the anti-hero, where the honorable guy is too square and not cool. We accept that everyone lies, and no one has honor, and that the ends justify the means. Personally I was surprised Cap did so well while still maintaining the integrity of the character.

X-Men is doing the same, and looks to be just as loved if not more by the hardcore comic fans and general movie goers while receiving better reviews. I think people look forward to each movie in the MS universe because each story contributes to the overall story of The Avengers films.

I just need them both at home now to see how they stand up to repeated viewing.

i.e. see which one you can *** to more, ammirite?

:dunno:dunno:dunno
Captain-America-XXX-Poster-580x815.jpeg

I've seen TWS several times and loved it the same each time - it holds up. It works amazingly well on mutiple levels - the actors are all fantastic, the characters are all well done, the story is cohesive and very tight, the fight scenes are some of the best I've ever seen, and there's literally no moment in the film that feels wasted or like filler. From the opening to the close it's exceptional on all levels. I was completely engrossed in that movie from beginning to end.

I'm planning on seeing DOFP at least once more in the theater, but the only way this would be a less of an easier poll for me is if it was The Winter Soldier vs. First Class, because for me, XFC still holds the crown for X-Men movies. It still has a place in my top 5 comic book movie list.

I would say DOFP will probably end up as my second favorite X-Men film, based on it continuing some of the First Class story and having most of the main First Class characters in it, maybe just edging out X2. The 70s era pulled me in.

I honestly wish we would've gotten at least one true XFC sequel FIRST (with Vaughn still at the helm), before this one, though, and hate that 10 years was skipped and so many XFC characters were written out off screen.

I'll probably get blasted for this, but I didn't care much for the apocalyptic stuff and all the mutants in the future - the only ones I really cared about were Charles, Erik and Logan. Seeing all the mutants that were new to the movies fighting was neat action-wise, but I wasn't invested in them as characters, so it didn't do anything for me.

Last edited:
I don't think you were supposed to care for them, they were just a plot device, no development just seeing them fight. I will say I had a sad moment seeing Storm get skewered even though you could see that coming a mile away.
Cry+baby+tear.gif

If I'd ever cared about Storm, maybe I would have, but I honestly didn't even feel much for her or Bobby or Colossus.... Maybe a little for Kitty, because I liked Ellen Page in that role, even though I hated X3 with the passion of a thousand suns.

The future mutants WERE basically a plot device, but it helps to care about the characters to truly get invested in the story, and in this case, all the doom and gloom. And with some mutants that barely got much time in the OT (or were poorly done like Storm, IMO), and several that were just there with no history behind them, it just left me feeling hollow.

The Erik-Charles scenes in the future were the only things I really liked about it.

I guess I consider it common knowledge that Wolverine is more popular than Captain America. I don't believe that the casual movie goer lumps the entire MCU together as "Iron Man and Friends." If so then that would suggest that a solo Hawkeye or Pepper Potts movie would do as well or better than the X-Men.
I mean as movie characters, not characters generally speaking. Of course, Wolvie is top dog at Marvel with Spidey, and Cap is on a rung below. But I'm not sure how Jackman stacks up to Evans at this point. As for "MCU," it is the house that Iron Man built, and I think most people recognize that. And we've seen him parading around with Cap in another movie, so Cap gets to feed off of that connection in terms of getting folks to pay to see his movies. Of course, that's not all he has going for him, but I wouldn't underestimate it, either.

Anti-heroes are so 20 years ago.

I haven't yet seen DOFP yet, but I'm gonna vote Winter Soldier just because I was in it and I have to support my film... LOL

I've seen TWS several times and loved it the same each time - it holds up. It works amazingly well on mutiple levels - the actors are all fantastic, the characters are all well done, the story is cohesive and very tight, the fight scenes are some of the best I've ever seen, and there's literally no moment in the film that feels wasted or like filler. From the opening to the close it's exceptional on all levels. I was completely engrossed in that movie from beginning to end.

I wholeheartedly agree. While I do have my favorite scenes at no point in the movie am I ever just "waiting to get to the next part." No filler, no boring parts, even the scenes where people are basically just walking around or talking are engrossing to me. Steve confronting Fury in his office, their elevator ride, Steve chatting with Pierce after Fury's "death," Steve and Widow at the Apple Store or on the run in the SUV. I love it all.

One of the rare action movies that is captivating no matter what is going on.

I liked Captain America better for all the reasons stated above. It was also such a step above the first movie compared to DOFP being not as big a step up from FC. There really is no comparison thus far from any other comic movies as Captain America: The Winter Soldier stands as the industry standard that all comic book movies released this year and in the future that should be measured by.

Back