Does the popularity of a movie really mean that much to how a popular figure is?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel I'm in the buy want I like category. I look at the figure, what it appears to represent to me, and the costuming. It's even better when all the element come together. Yeah, sometimes the flick will inspire extra interest and more anticipation.

Take the Pirates films, for example. I like pirates, so I bought Sideshows Edward Teach. A superb figure. It must have bombed cause they never did a swabie, and the line went dormant quick. Along comes Jack Sparrow, and hoardes want it. Sao Feng, being a pirate and having a great costume, I bought one. On these here boards I read much criticism for the Feng. Before the film came out, Oh yeah Sao Feng. Fantastic. Film precedes the figures release, and its all 'only 5 minutes' and he's ditched. If you like pirates, Sao is a pirate. There aren't all that many of them out there to be had.

I never buy a figure simply because it looks cool. My collection is based on the shows, movies, and characters that I'm a fan of, first and foremost. If I lose interest in a show of movie or never had any interest to begin with, I will not own figures based on it. I also want representations of the characters in those movies and shows that I love, and so I won't buy a figure of a character I completely despise.

For example: I don't collect Pirates of the Caribbean because I like pirates in general (though I'm interested in the subject)....I buy potc items because I love Jack Sparrow, Davy Jones, etc....it's about the individual characters and the films themselves, not just about the subject of pirates. I'm buying the Hot Toys Jack and Elizabeth , but I'll never own Feng. Didn't like him as a character enough to spend that kind of cash on him.

Interesting question. It first occurs to me that if a film tanked, it wouldn't be in theaters all that long, not many would have seen it and many may therefore have no idea what the given figure is or represents.
That having been said, I bought three of the ID4 1:6 aliens before seeing the film. Van Helsing as well. Hell, I did the same with Platoon, well...you get the idea.
Basically, I think we buy what we like. Are we influenced by the film or TV property? Probably to some extent, but I don't think Star Wars fans needed any prompting to buy those figures any more than I did to buy the POTA line. To that end, SW was a highly successful movie series and the figures seem to be as well. Planet of the Apes was also highly successful in theaters but, although the Mego apes figures were a huge hit, Sideshow's were admittedly lacking sales.

There is an inherent feel-good situation when a movie or franchise is successful. When it's successful, and you felt great about it, it adds to the sense that what you bought/own is also successful. I know for myself that all collecting purchases I've made has to have a feel-good feeling before I even decide to purchase it. The fact that the film looked great to me is one aspect of it, and the fact that others share in that (and to the film's success) helps.

On another note, the Elric figures (Full Metal Alchemist) were not a bad decision to buy. If you get a chance, the series is awesome and a definite recommendation.

For me, there was a lot to hate about Attack of the Clones, but I think some of the character designs are pretty sweet, including Jango and Anakin's outfit. Despite disliking much of the film, I did like the gladiator arena concept of the ending.

So I probably will buy most of the AOTC figures.

Yeah, some of my favorite figures are non-movie related. Also many of them happen to be Apes, like Rebel Ape, Apethoven and the Monkey King. All cool figures that I bought because of my (platonic :monkey3) love of Monkeys :rock

I had the 12" Van Helsing and Anna on order when I saw the movie. I have never before or since been angry at a movie for wasting my time (well,maybe Leauge of Extraordinary Gentlemen:emperor) immediatly thought of cancelling them but didn't. The costume dsign was the only good thing about that movie. I bought DC's CAtwoman though I'm not that into the book because it looked cool, not sure if I'll buy any other in the line.

I own a lot of figures I haven't seen the movie, tv show, comic, manga, etc. for! I can love the look of a figure in and of itself, and appreciate it as a work of art! That being said, I probably have more investment (emotionally) in figures from media I am familiar with, but it certainly isn't a requirement!

Back