Does lack of a brown shipper box affect the resale value of a statue?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had an eBay buyer win a claim against me because the shipper was not in mint condition. Everything else was as listed and mint. I've only sold a couple of times on there since then and I made sure to take pictures and note the condition of the shipper box (which is insane to me).

I've gone away from selling on eBay and starting selling here occasionally. If people ask about the shipper I'm least likely to want to deal with them because I know that it's all going to be downhill from there.

:lecture :lecture

If people ask about the shipper I'm least likely to want to deal with them because I know that it's all going to be downhill from there.
People might ask about it for a number of reasons. As a seller it shoes how well you have taken care of the item and how well protected it will be in transit. Most people don't know how to pack and a good condition brown shipper is a lifesaver for most pieces. It also adds collectible value as well, not to mention is slimmer and easier to store than most art boxes that got packed into another larger shipping box.

People might ask about it for a number of reasons. As a seller it shoes how well you have taken care of the item and how well protected it will be in transit. Most people don't know how to pack and a good condition brown shipper is a lifesaver for most pieces. It also adds collectible value as well, not to mention is slimmer and easier to store than most art boxes that got packed into another larger shipping box.

I'm not saying that it's wrong to ask. I just think using it as a pre-qualification of care just isn't a good barometer. There are a lot of times where the condition of the shipper is completely out of a someone's hands. I can't speak for everyone but I will go nuts listing any flaws with the art box.

What I am saying though is that if someone starts off with questions of why there are scuffs on the shipper I already know that that sale is going to be nothing but trouble.

No.

Some pieces get passed around and each time the shipper gets beat up. As others have mentioned I've had stuff arrive directly from SSC that looked like it was dropped down a flight of stairs. If anything, one can always get a new shipper even at a custom size. Yes it's convenient to have (especially if you eventually sell) but not a deal breaker. Even the art boxes can take their toll over time.

As long as the seller makes sure it's packed securely (and the purchaser is ok with new packing) to me it's a nonissue.

I was just view if they have the original shipper as a plus.
If not, I just make sure they plan on putting in another box as a shipper.

That's crazy. I can't believe someone would do that.

Exactly why it's worth keeping the shipper.

People ask about the condition of the shipper?!
It's there to take knocks and scrapes. The condition it's sent in may have no bearing on how it arrives... Crazy!

In the eBay details, always state the shipping box is used to ship and protect the product - hence its name - and will have the postage details stuck to it, writing on it and won't be in mint condition.
Throw in some commentary about your willingness to source plain brown cardboard as a separate purchase.

This accomplishes two important things:
A) Protects you as seller
B) Allows you to mock idiots

In the eBay details, always state the shipping box is used to ship and protect the product - hence its name - and will have the postage details stuck to it, writing on it and won't be in mint condition.
Throw in some commentary about your willingness to source plain brown cardboard as a separate purchase.

This accomplishes two important things:
A) Protects you as seller
B) Allows you to mock idiots
How exactly does all that accomplish B? You also forgot

C)?????
D)Profit

Knocks down $0

Not true. Two of the same statue, same condition, same price, one with box, one without, which one do you choose? Even if the one without was $20 off; I think most collectors would fork out the extra $20 for the box. But, if you offer $50 off I think people will say f$#k the box.

No seasoned collector would by something second-hand without adequate packing if it's going to be shipped, be it the original shipper or something new. It's the sellers responsibility to provide that for a successful transaction. Still a nonissue and No shipper is worth $50.

If a buyer is obsessed with the original shipper then that's a buyer I can do without.

Not true. Two of the same statue, same condition, same price, one with box, one without, which one do you choose? Even if the one without was $20 off; I think most collectors would fork out the extra $20 for the box. But, if you offer $50 off I think people will say f$#k the box.

I've sold many that didn't have the shipper. Didn't matter a damn

Back