Does it really matter if someone likes a movie or not?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does it matter?

• Total voters
Jem-and-the-Holograms-poster.jpg

From the director of Never Say Never? Jeeeeeeezus. :slap

It only matters in a potential relationship. Would you really want to date someone who thought all the movies you liked are dumb and would never go to them with you? Otherwise who cares if some random person on the Internet dislikes a movie you like.

liking a movie is not bad,
the only problem I see is when die hard fans will deny any problems with a movie. obvious problems (Because it implies that you are stupid or you are lying about the movie)

I think it is interesting because sometimes it means fans are willing to completely ignore Obvious problems with movies,
I know nitpicking is stupid, yes, but some movies have gigantic problems that most people see.

Also, some movies are made because the studio didn't want to lose the rights,
or because a studio wants to cash in on what is popular (like the Twilight rip offs)
or a studio wants to make a quick buck by making a sequel because they know the old fans will pay to see it.
(OR A writer/director had a good idea for a movie, he had passion and everything, but some careless executive ruins it by changing everything about it to make more profit)

there is no passion behind some movies,
there is no vision or good reason to have them be made... some movies are made for bad reasons.
Obviously ALL movies are made to make money (Duh) but you can make a product to make money And STILL have passion behind it.

people can like whatever they want, but it gets annoying when defending a movie goes so far that people start to deny logic or reason.

It's like, a fan's love for a franchise or director gets so bad that they won't even accept bad things that EVEN the creators of the movie Acknowledge

This is the stuff that ticks people off. Just because YOU feel that way, doesn't mean that others should.

liking a movie is not bad,
the only problem I see is when die hard fans will deny any problems with a movie. obvious problems (Because it implies that you are stupid or you are lying about the movie)

people can like whatever they want, but it gets annoying when defending a movie goes so far that people start to deny logic or reason.

Or you know... when die hard fans deny all logic and exaggerate all problems because a movie didn't play out as they wished.

Just like for books I check the reviews prior to deciding on spending money on it. I do read on folks opinions here for some things like the netflix shows.

My goodness no it does not matter.... Well it does if I want a sequel made.

I enjoyed the two Amazing Spider-man movies... Many people did not... No sequel :(

Now I am left with an empty feeling and the Death of Gwen Stacy and no new love for Spidey :(

Otherwise who cares? Well I know a few that do but really... Who cares???

My goodness no it does not matter.... Well it does if I want a sequel made.

I enjoyed the two Amazing Spider-man movies... Many people did not... No sequel :(

Now I am left with an empty feeling and the Death of Gwen Stacy and no new love for Spidey :(

Otherwise who cares? Well I know a few that do but really... Who cares???

I liked them to. At least Spidey gets to go to Marvel now.

Didn't even know Jem came out let alone a community of them enough to generate a blip of an outcry.

But what matters is if you liked the movie or not. Not the quality or heart or intentions of the creator.

Favorite =\= Best

Deloreans are junk, yet popular because of a movie. Death Wish 3 is poorly made, yet an awesome watch. Peps will list Age of Ultron as the best movie of the year when it isn't. There Will Be Blood is said to be the very definition of quality but nothing about it interests me enough to watch it. SW:TFA looks to be quality made, yet just a retread of ANH.

Yup :)

This is the stuff that ticks people off. Just because YOU feel that way, doesn't mean that others should.

Or you know... when die hard fans deny all logic and exaggerate all problems because a movie didn't play out as they wished.

This is just a silly example
Batman and robin:

Normal conversation:

Fan: I love batman and robin
Hater: Well the movie was too cheesy for me and too campy. Had bad acting and a dump plot
Fan: Yeah I can see that but it reminded me of the old show and i love campy movies so I loved the humor. Freeze made me laugh. It's fun
Hater: Well I had a bad experience with it
Fan: I still love it
hater: ok
fan: ok

Apologist conversation:

Fan: Man I really love batman and robin
Hater: well... Movie was too cheesy, bad acting, dumb plot bla bla bla....

Fan: WHAT the hell are u talking about? This was the best representation of the batman character!

Clooney was the closest to the comic you can ever GET.

It is BETTER than burton OR Nolan's batman! You are just too dumb and you didn't get it! You must not be a batman fan, if you bothered to open a f-ing comic book you would know how they stayed true to the source!

Hater: But what about how cheesy the villains..

Fan: NO! The Villains were PERFECT! They chose the greatest!!! freeze is much better than joker or penguin!

Hater: You know the entire movie was made basically as a long commercial for toy sales right, they didnt care to make it good?

Fan: You just didn't get it, you must be a marvel fan boy, you hate it because it doesn't have stupid iron man in it, your Attacks are OBVIOUS fan boy hate, opinion is invalid, dc hater!, suck on Tony stark's &$%%$$%%$##$

Hater:...... o_O ?

Lol I know it's a stupid example but THERE is a difference
(people do defend movies like that sometimes)

ps (I also know haters go to the extreme as well, but apologists are more annoying)

Last edited:
This is just a silly example
Batman and robin:

Normal conversation:

Fan: I love batman and robin
Hater: Well the movie was too cheesy for me and too campy. Had bad acting and a dump plot
Fan: Yeah I can see that but it reminded me of the old show and i love campy movies so I loved the humor. Freeze made me laugh. It's fun
Hater: Well I had a bad experience with it
Fan: I still love it
hater: ok
fan: ok

Apologist conversation:

Fan: Man I really love batman and robin
Hater: well... Movie was too cheesy, bad acting, dumb plot bla bla bla....

Fan: WHAT the hell are u talking about? This was the best representation of the batman character!

Clooney was the closest to the comic you can ever GET.

It is BETTER than burton OR Nolan's batman! You are just too dumb and you didn't get it! You must not be a batman fan, if you bothered to open a f-ing comic book you would know how they stayed true to the source!

Hater: But what about how cheesy the villains..

Fan: NO! The Villains were PERFECT! They chose the greatest!!! freeze is much better than joker or penguin!

Hater: You know the entire movie was made basically as a long commercial for toy sales right, they didnt care to make it good?

Fan: You just didn't get it, you must be a marvel fan boy, you hate it because it doesn't have stupid iron man in it, your Attacks are OBVIOUS fan boy hate, opinion is invalid, dc hater!, suck on Tony stark's &$%%$$%%$##$

Hater:...... o_O ?

Lol I know it's a stupid example but THERE is a difference
(people do defend movies like that sometimes)

ps (I also know haters go to the extreme as well, but apologists are more annoying)

You know, I agree with the fan :lol Clooney might actually be the closest to the comics as you can get...the 60's comic that is. And from a physical stand point, he looked like Bruce Wayne and like Bob Kane's Batman. That fictional fan is right! :lol

No, it only matters what I like. If I think a movie sucks, it is objectively terrible, and my word is law. All fools bow before me. :lecture

No, it only matters what I like. If I think a movie sucks, it is objectively terrible, and my word is law. All fools bow before me. :lecture

technically it only matters what you like,

but when you enter in public discussion you are going to read and share opinions, you are going to see arguments for and against. (and you will, most of the time, fall into one of those categories)

so when extreme "fans or haters" enter the public sharing of ideas, they usually tend to completely disregard the other side's view. (and they will praise the people thinking the exact way they think)

thats when i find it funny when people get angry or want to report others bashing a movie, if you cannot handle the different views about the stuff you love, why even bother joining the discussion

(Unless they want a hive mind hug box where everyone agrees with everyone else, Like what you see happen in the Walking Dead threads, some people get angry when someone differs in opinion)

There are objective esthetic criteria that can be applied to any dramatic work, and the quality of any given work can be rationally judged (the criteria can be argued as well, but the fact that they can be argued is evidence that a valid standard exists). That's still entirely beside the point of whether or not someone enjoys a movie, play, or tv show. Right or wrong, in the end if you allow critics to mold your preferences, you're doing it wrong.

Had a response to crows typed up but I figured forget it. My head's getting sore beating it against the same tree. :lol

Anyway, I don't mind the PT, just don't watch it much. Hated some of the casting and acting, but otherwise, they're fine. Looking forward to the new one. Have my ticket bought for opening night. :)

There are objective esthetic criteria that can be applied to any dramatic work, and the quality of any given work can be rationally judged (the criteria can be argued as well, but the fact that they can be argued is evidence that a valid standard exists). That's still entirely beside the point of whether or not someone enjoys a movie, play, or tv show. Right or wrong, in the end if you allow critics to mold your preferences, you're doing it wrong.

Spot on, brother!

Back