Does Hi Definition ruin some movies for you?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Figured I'd get my Jim Cameron on before Avatar opened and popped in my old DVD of the Special Edition of The Abyss. Playing it on my PS3 on a 1080p HD TV the movie appeared in a tiny little window in the center of the screen. Changing Aspect on the TV or DVD didn't do anything. Guess I gotta buy the blu-ray.:(

Figured I'd get my Jim Cameron on before Avatar opened and popped in my old DVD of the Special Edition of The Abyss. Playing it on my PS3 on a 1080p HD TV the movie appeared in a tiny little window in the center of the screen. Changing Aspect on the TV or DVD didn't do anything. Guess I gotta buy the blu-ray.:(

And let me know where you acquire this unreleased blu ray please.

https://www.amazon.com/Abyss-Blu-ra...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1260157599&sr=8-1

Is that a common problem? I plan to buy an HDTV soon.

No, that DVD version of The Abyss is a non-anamorphic transfer so it plays in widescreen on a 4:3 TV and a 4:3 letterbox widescreen on an HDTV. Nearly all DVD's are anamorphic and will play in a "normal" widescreen.

This is an old article from back when DVD's and HDTV's were new technology but it explains the difference.

https://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/page2.html

23516x9tvlbx.jpg

Non-anamorphic video as it appears on a Digital 16x9 TV. The gray bars are generated by the TV to fill in the remaining screen area. Using the TV's "zoom" mode, you can magnify the image to fill the screen electronically, but at the cost of degrading the image quality significantly.

23516x9tv16x9.jpg

Anamorphic video as it appears on a Digital 16x9 TV. The "squished" image recorded on the disc (seen at top) is sent directly to the TV, which stretches the video signal horizontally until the correct aspect ratio is achieved. As you can see, the image fills the frame, while retaining nearly its full vertical resolution. Since the 2.35:1 aspect ratio is wider, thin black bars are still necessary to maintain the proper composition (they're in the video signal). The picture quality is stunning.

Last edited:
Haven't seen a movie yet where I saw all the imperfections, but i imagine if I did, I'd be ok with it. The rest of the movie is too awesome.

I got to see SW in HD for the 1st time this weekend and it looked freakin' amazing!

They need to hurry up and release that crap on BD :tap

I got to see SW in HD for the 1st time this weekend and it looked freakin' amazing!

They need to hurry up and release that crap on BD :tap

I really can't wait either i know a few people that will convert to Blu-ray once these hit and i bet there are loads more waiting as well.

Standard theatrical projection of 35mm film is still higher definition than Blu-ray. All those things you're seeing at home in HD ... you already saw those and more at your local cineplex. I think what's happening is when you go to the movies, you get immersed in the experience. Because consumer HD is relatively new, people are paying attention to the presentation rather than the story.

Does it bother anyone else that Blu-ray won't "zoom?" Is it really that hard to program software to do that? On my DVD player, I could zoom in on the picture a bit so that it would fill my screen. Can't do it for blu-ray, and I don't know of a single player that will. I want my 40" widescreen flatpanel filled with movie goodness, I don't want the black bars at the top and bottom. Not to mention, after watching a movie for a few hours, there's some temporary burnin of those black bars that show up when I switch to regular TV. I know it's not the director's vision, and I understand different viewpoints, but I'd like the option. I too was watching LOTR on TNT HD this weekend, and thought this is the best it'll look on my TV ever...

Hey guys, just a question...I'm finally gonna be getting a Blue-Ray player via PS3 soon...My HD TV is 60hz, so my question..Is there much difference between 60hz and 120hv TV's? Would I see much difference if I was watching a 60hz and a 120hz TV side by side?

I love Blu-Ray and never choose standard definition when given the option. The only thing that will be ruined is if Blu-Rays don't catch on more and it goes the way of the Beta-Max. I can't even watch standard DVDs anymore without feeling like it looks grainy.

I love Blu-Ray and never choose standard definition when given the option. The only thing that will be ruined is if Blu-Rays don't catch on more and it goes the way of the Beta-Max. I can't even watch standard DVDs anymore without feeling like it looks grainy.

:lecture

Same goes for HDTV, I refuse to watch ANYTHING if it is not in HD.

Hey guys, just a question...I'm finally gonna be getting a Blue-Ray player via PS3 soon...My HD TV is 60hz, so my question..Is there much difference between 60hz and 120hv TV's? Would I see much difference if I was watching a 60hz and a 120hz TV side by side?

If you get headaches from watching TV then it is better to have a TV with a higher rate--basically it controls how fast the screen flashes, you can't consciously see the flashing but some people have seizures from the flashing of the TV. Or if you get headaches it can help for it to go faster.

Back