DOCTOR WHO: Tennant VS Smith

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Doctor do you prefer?

• 10th Doctor - David Tennant

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • 11th Doctor - Matt Smith

Votes: 12 40.0%

• Total voters

Wor-Gar

Torturer of OCD
CF Supporter
Reaction score
WHO is better?

Caught up with a lot of Who this Christmas season. Finally dipped deep into the Smith era. I really like his take. And I was a big fan of Tennant 10 or less years ago.

Curious how you guys think Matt stacks up against the modern favorite.

PS: Baker still rules.

William-Hartnell.jpg

The best.

WHO is better?

Caught up with a lot of Who this Christmas season. Finally dipped deep into the Smith era. I really like his take. And I was a big fan of Tennant 10 or less years ago.

Curious how you guys think Matt stacks up against the modern favorite.

PS: Baker still rules.

A friend of mine was in Canada over the holiday, and said he watched a Who marathon, and the Christmas special. Said he enjoyed it (he doesn't follow the show).
Me, I liked Matt's introductory episode, and I enjoyed a lot of the shows that followed. I don't think I ever saw him as being better than David in the role. David's acting range was much more believable. When Matt tried to pull off some of the extreme drama, it just didn't work (for me).

Mr. Tom Baker will always be The Doctor tho. And yes, it was cool, really cool to see him come in as literaly, the fourth Doctor in the 50th anniversary show. I had some mates round to watch it, and it was like we all shouted out "It's Tom!!!!" at the same time. I knew nothing about it. Really nice touch.

Tennant is better than smith who in turn was better than Capaldi.

The best ever was of course baker

Its hard to judge Smith on his own since Amy Pond/Rory were really there for 90% of his run and the three of them together I thought were better than any combo in Tennant's run. (and then Riversong as the recurring companion I thought was great as well)

Tennant I think also has an advantage over any other doctor since his portrayal was more cool superhero (complete with a coat more like a cape....) than quirky eccentric. How can you not love that?

In summary ....they were both great ....and Capaldi is better :D

I won't speak as I am a New Who, but Smith for me was the best. He carried an emotional attachment to everything, but Tennant was also great. The reason I think so is that I also really enjoyed Smith's companions. I must say I really like Capaldi's dark Doctor a lot!

I liked Matt Smith, but he had a tendency to overact the part in ways that would make even Tom Baker roll his enormous eyes. Tennant was a master of taking it right up to the edge and then knowing when to pull back.

My top 5:

Trounghton
Tom Baker
Pertwee
Tennant
Eccleston

Paul McGann, the Doctor we were robbed of seeing. But the best have been Tom Baker in the original series and David Tennant in the revival.

I thought they were both excellent Doctors, (hence why I love the 'Day of the Doctor' episode so much) - so it's hard for me to choose just one of them!! For me I think Tennant edges it (just!) with his portrayal of the Doctor so I'll vote for him, although I do agree that Smith had the better companions. :)

I am only somewhat new to WHO, as I only really started to get into it 2 years ago, so I can't really comment on any other Doctor before Tennant. It's really tough for me pick between the two, but if I must I will go with Smith. I really enjoyed the stories and the writing better when he was around, and his and Amy's relationship was much more enjoyable. They had a great chemistry. I still have not gotten used to Capaldi being the doctor. And I really disliked his chemistry with Clara. It has gotten better over time, which is why Jenna Coleman probably decided to stay on, but idk, it's taking me longer to like him than it did with Tennant and Smith.

Of the modern whos I'd place their order as:

Tennant
Eckleston
Smith

I'd probably say Tennant more than the others. I think he had the greatest range as far as the Doctors went. He had a certain zeal to his performance that others only touched on. Yet he could be serious and endearing. Eckleston had an edge no one else quite pulled off. I bought into the idea that his doctor could truly be dangerous if not held back. Smith balanced all those traits out and that made him interesting to watch. I've yet to see Capaldi in the part so I really have nothing to go on there.

Of the modern whos I'd place their order as:

Tennant
Eckleston
Smith

I'd probably say Tennant more than the others. I think he had the greatest range as far as the Doctors went. He had a certain zeal to his performance that others only touched on. Yet he could be serious and endearing. Eckleston had an edge no one else quite pulled off. I bought into the idea that his doctor could truly be dangerous if not held back. Smith balanced all those traits out and that made him interesting to watch. I've yet to see Capaldi in the part so I really have nothing to go on there.

:goodpost:

I agree with everything you said. I'm waiting on my Season 8 blu-ray set to arrive tomorrow. :yess:

They both are fantastic actors and I really admire their work. Personally I prefer 11th though. He had so unique energy, being silly and clever, young and old, serious and hilarious at the same time. I really enjoyed Matt's physical acting style and such a great sense of fashion.
And Smith was the first-ever Doctor nominated for a BAFTA for Best Actor.

Back