Do you miss those days you couldn't give 2 cents about them Boxes?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't miss them because I don't care. In the roof they go!

One day when I can be bothered I'll see if some clown will buy them on ebay. Maybe $30 each.

For a long while I obsessively kept the boxes, insert trays, everything, even the shippers. I live in a two bedroom apartment in Los Angeles. I had boxes everywhere: filling every closet, under every table and desk, in the tiny storage unit we have in our garage. It was insane.

One day I snapped and stacked them all up in front of my detolfs:

20160423_113431.jpg
20160423_114011.jpg
20160423_113957.jpg
20160423_114017.jpg

The day of Boxaggedon had come. I pulled out all the plastic inserts and foam and put them in the recycling bins, flattened all the boxes or cut the graphics panels off of them and stored those in a nice flat stack (that still weighs a ton) and only left a very select few boxes intact that were either collector items I am not in love with or really cool solid boxes with magnetic closures or unique features.

I have a bunch now from figures I have bought since then and getting near the point of having to another round of insert expunging and box flattening.

I generally feel that I will not resell any of my figures but there at a few that I bought on whims of one sort or another and may decide to part with (Nicholas Cage Ghost Rider with Cycle, Milk vsn of War Machine, Nolan Cat Woman, etc.) that I have kept the box and packaging but it is down to a half dozen or less.

you guys gonna regret it one day for keeping all the boxes of stuffs you don't want thinking to resell them and throwing away those you know you won't be selling.

when that day comes where last figures standing you'd wish you kept those boxes so you can display it side by side with the figure.

it's something like folks throwing away their favorite toy's boxes as kid and wished they didn't and how cool would it have been if they kept all the stuffs like box & foams, manuals and even the used sticker sheet..

For a long while I obsessively kept the boxes, insert trays, everything, even the shippers. I live in a two bedroom apartment in Los Angeles. I had boxes everywhere: filling every closet, under every table and desk, in the tiny storage unit we have in our garage. It was insane.

One day I snapped and stacked them of Boxaggedon had come. I pulled out all the plastic inserts and foam annce then and lly feel that I will not resell any of my figures but there at a few that I bought on whims of one sort or another and may decide to part with (Nicholas Cage Ghost Rider with Cycle, Milk vsn of War Machine, Nolan Cat Woman, etc.) that I have kept the box and packaging but it is down to a half dozen or less.

Good for you. I find that inspirational. Right now I have boxes for poly figures sitting around, a wall full of 1/6 scale boxes, shelves full. D*mn well know I will never carefully repack each fig to move; they'll be rolled in bubble wrap and moved in plastic tubs, fast. Also the diorama stands I keep buying. The boxes are primarily in case I sell which would be for emergency only.
I'm keeping boxes for figs for something I may never do and the boxes may deteriorate even in shippers. But afraid right now to get rid of them. Even the POP tho I think the mania for those will collapse.

I've always kept my boxes. Even when I was a little girl, I kept the boxes of my toys. Unfortunately, my parent's threw them away eventually. I like to have everything complete; it's easier to store, move and it generally sells better if needed. I've never needed to throw them away so why would I.

I've always kept my boxes. Even when I was a little girl, I kept the boxes of my toys. Unfortunately, my parent's threw them away eventually. I like to have everything complete; it's easier to store, move and it generally sells better if needed. I've never needed to throw them away so why would I.

most kids never though about the boxes. no matter how nice the box looks it's the content we are interested on. the box looks great on the shelf but once you bring it home it's just recycle material.

i wonder what made you keep the boxes as a kid, or do you think that much further as a kid, like resell value etc.

most kids never though about the boxes. no matter how nice the box looks it's the content we are interested on. the box looks great on the shelf but once you bring it home it's just recycle material.

i wonder what made you keep the boxes as a kid, or do you think that much further as a kid, like resell value etc.

I've always wanted to keep things as they were; complete and that included the boxes. The train set I got when I was about six, is still complete in its original box with all papers. I just loved it that I could put things away in boxes designed for the item so it wouldn't break and I wouldn't lose anything. As far as I remember, I have always done it :) and fought my parents about those that really mattered to me (like that train set) and gave in for those that weren't that important (like my Barbies).

I've always wanted to keep things as they were; complete and that included the boxes. The train set I got when I was about six, is still complete in its original box with all papers. I just loved it that I could put things away in boxes designed for the item so it wouldn't break and I wouldn't lose anything. As far as I remember, I have always done it :) and fought my parents about those that really mattered to me (like that train set) and gave in for those that weren't that important (like my Barbies).

your house must be really tidy.

This is something I've been thinking about recently actually, since starting my own company.

I'm still undecided on packaging. It's tempting to make a sexy printed box with a vacuformed tray and everything, but I don't think I can do that with a clean conscious. I'm a pretty environmentally friendly individual, and given the chance to choose for myself and my audience, I'm leaning toward a classic polybag and header card. It gets the job done just fine for a vinyl figure. The sofubi crowd sure doesn't care--a $200+ custom painted toy in a polybag is the norm.

Taking a $100 toy and sticking it in a fancy box doesn't make the toy better, but it sure creates about 80% more waste and increases costs both for the product and shipping, not to mention the additional shipping material needed to protect the box and to then put that box in an even bigger box! Sure, if you're a MOC collector, you can't stack a polybagged toy on top of your POP! vinyl collection...but maybe you'll actually open my toy and enjoy it for what it ls?!

That said, I do like to keep some box art if it's nice. I'll keep the card of a smaller toy, or cut one side off a box or flatten it and recycle the tray. And I figure a much less expensive and cumbersome header card scratches that itch, then you chuck the polybag in your local soft plastics recycling bin. I'd love some feedback on this.

This is something I've been thinking about recently actually, since starting my own company.

I'm still undecided on packaging. It's tempting to make a sexy printed box with a vacuformed tray and everything, but I don't think I can do that with a clean conscious. I'm a pretty environmentally friendly individual, and given the chance to choose for myself and my audience, I'm leaning toward a classic polybag and header card. It gets the job done just fine for a vinyl figure. The sofubi crowd sure doesn't care--a $200+ custom painted toy in a polybag is the norm.

Taking a $100 toy and sticking it in a fancy box doesn't make the toy better, but it sure creates about 80% more waste and increases costs both for the product and shipping, not to mention the additional shipping material needed to protect the box and to then put that box in an even bigger box! Sure, if you're a MOC collector, you can't stack a polybagged toy on top of your POP! vinyl collection...but maybe you'll actually open my toy and enjoy it for what it ls?!

That said, I do like to keep some box art if it's nice. I'll keep the card of a smaller toy, or cut one side off a box or flatten it and recycle the tray. And I figure a much less expensive and cumbersome header card scratches that itch, then you chuck the polybag in your local soft plastics recycling bin. I'd love some feedback on this.

learn from Hasbro. most of their packaging can be folded flat and stacked including inserts. but it's a paint to disassemble & reassemble.

or you can follow Medicom old packaging cardboards with transparent windows all stuffs tied using elastic ropes on cardboards. everything can be flattened without much hassle. however plastic tray still the best method of storing accessories.

Wish i still had all my original packages, would be easier to re-sell the statues in the future :(

My collection rotates regularly enough that I usually keep the boxes for the next owner. The ones for more valuable HT, etc figures stay in the house while boxes for less valuable figures tend to go in the garage. Do I hate having it take up as much room as it does? Definitely...but I'm also very glad to have it when it comes time to sell something since it helps the value a lot. I remember selling my original N64 on eBay a couple of years ago. I still had the original box in good shape and it sold for about triple over other N64s that didn't have the box.

For other non-consumable more expensive items (computers, printers, etc) I usually hold on to the box for a year and then toss it, just in case I need to ship it off for warranty work somewhere.

I didn't keep the boxes for most figures up until the Sideshow Star Wars figures started hitting... I figured if I ever wanted to store the lightsabers I'd be screwed since they were so long and thin. So, after that I kept every box and while it's kind of annoying to have so much storage dedicated to them; it does help them hold value and makes it easier to sell since most everything is in one place.

But yeah, I'dd be cool with it if the packaging was just throw away... but that's not the collecting world we live in.

I didn't keep the boxes for most figures up until the Sideshow Star Wars figures started hitting... I figured if I ever wanted to store the lightsabers I'd be screwed since they were so long and thin. So, after that I kept every box and while it's kind of annoying to have so much storage dedicated to them; it does help them hold value and makes it easier to sell since most everything is in one place.

But yeah, I'dd be cool with it if the packaging was just throw away... but that's not the collecting world we live in.

you could always cut out the lightsaber tray section to reduce the space. learn this from ebay sellers most of them do this for better protection.

I consider the box as part of the purchase. Yes its purpose is to hold the figure until you remove it, but it's also part of the collectible for me, without it, not only does the item lose value but it just seems incomplete. These aren't non-detailed 6-inch figures where you throw the packaging away, in the high end market, everything it comes with is valuable. No wonder you see people even looking for the brown shipper boxes. In the art of collecting (high end figures/statues), the item must be complete with not ony accessories, but absolutely everything personally.

I have read your post. This is such a nice post. packaging is the leading brand in the manufacturing industry. packaging boxes are working as the protection of the product. There are many types of packaging in nowadays, For example: Cosmetic packaging, Food packaging, Retail packaging, Display packaging, Gift packaging and etc. Hairspray packaging is the leading in the packaging. It is customized in different shapes and design according to the product design. It is also customized in different materials with color printing and logo printing according to the customers demand.

Thanks for sharing this post. This is very helpful for me. Packaging is necessary for all products. Packaging is the leading in manufacturing industry. There are many types of packaging of the product. Automotive Parts Packaging, Bluetooth Headset Boxes,Auto Component Packaging and others. These all boxes are customized in various shapes and design according to the customers demand.

Back