Do you like the PG-13ing of your movies?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you feel about the PG-13ing of movies?

• I wish the movies were R-rated.

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • I like being able to safely take my child to the movies.

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 18 46.2%

• Total voters

IronManny

Super Freak
Reaction score
I do not know if a thread on this topic has been started before, or if there were just discussions in other threads. If there is already a thread, I apologize.

How do you guys and gals feel about the PG-13ing of remakes and sequels that if made in the 80s would have been rated R?

I am referring to movies like:

Live Free or Die Hard

Hunger Games (if made right, this would have an R rating)

Total Recall (remake) - this, by the way, is the movie that got me back on the subject.

Do you mind that movies are being made "softer"? Do you have children and are happy they can see these movies? Or do you just not care?

Just putting it out there.

Thanks!

It's entirely dependent on the films. The MPAA is a different beast now, from what it was in the 80's. Some of the PG-13 stuff now would've been rated R, and something like Stallone's latest Rambo would've potentially gotten an NC-17 or even an X for the violence it showed.

It's entirely dependent on the films. The MPAA is a different beast now, from what it was in the 80's. Some of the PG-13 stuff now would've been rated R, and something like Stallone's latest Rambo would've potentially gotten an NC-17 or even an X for the violence it showed.

That was some sick stuff! I couldn't believe it when I finally got to see it.

Rambo is nuts!

As long as the film retains a consistency with what went before I don't care. But if it impacts on the content to such a degree that it might aswell be a different universe with a different set of characters then yes I have a problem with it.

For remakes, I don't mind. It's a different film.

For sequels, I mind. It's the same series of film. It should have a conisitant tone through out.

It's one of the reasons Live Free and Die Hard doesn't feel right. John McClain cannot smoke cigarettes. He's always smoked. One puff, equals an R Rating. McClain curses like a mother ____er. HE CAN'T EVEN SAY HIS FAMOUS LINE. Yeah, Bruce can still bring the character out, but the movie didn't feel like a Die Hard one. It was too...big, and actiony. But whatever.

The worst for me will always be AvP. I always hated that. 6 R Rated films wrapped up into one PG-13 one. Not to mention Paul Anderson lied, and said we filmed an R-Rated version. The hell you did.

The Hunger Games was never ever, ever, ever going to be R. It's a young adult book, the age ranges from 10 to...80? Point is, it's a book that kids love. Now, granted, I think they should've showed more. They could've easily gotten away with it. It didn't need to me gallons of blood shedding, but it could've had as much as Captain America (Which is bloody as hell).

Getting back to the remake thing.....I do, however mind it for one movie. The one you mentioned. Total Recall. Why? Because it's the same ____ing movie. It's not a different take. It's the same take with different locations. When you remake a film, you have to change it. Right? Especially a classic like Total Recall. And especially a film which is based off a short story, which is ripe to use!

It looks different. But it's not. Why is the 3 boobed chick in the movie? Why? They're not going to show her. There's no point in having her in the movie....

What about the 2 weeks scene? Why have that in the movie? A little homage, or line is nice, but don't steal directly, put a slight spin on it, and call it your own.

But still. If the film is good, and works with the rating, then it's fine. If it suffers directly from the rating (The Expendables...which was filmed as a PG-13, and they added blood spatte :lol), then it's a problem.

Die Hard was the only one I minded. Needed a couple of f-bombs and MFers in it. Just fit better with the character.

The rest, I'm fine with PG-13.

SnakeDoc

It affects some films though.

If a film was filmed as an R, but re-cut for PG-13, it can take a good film, and make it crappy.

Not always the case. But still.

I don't mind it at times, but at the same time it does kind of irk me with certain flicks, like Die Hard. I mean, the movies would do just as well rated R, at the very least when they hit Blu Ray/DVD.

However, we all know the studios scramble for box office figures more than anything, so I doubt it will ever change at this point... unless people aren't filling the seats.

It affects some films though.

If a film was filmed as an R, but re-cut for PG-13, it can take a good film, and make it crappy.

Not always the case. But still.

If taking out the word ____ or someone smoking ruins the film, then it wasn't a good film to begin with.

If taking out the word ____ or someone smoking ruins the film, then it wasn't a good film to begin with.

It isn't always violence, or langauge that makes a film R.

Often it's the tone. The film could have a very dark tone, and that could make it R. Changing that could ruin your entire film.

Look at Seven....that movie, outside of language, isn't violent at all. But the tone of the film, it could never be PG-13.

Or if, for example, you have a film about two lesbian or gay people, they make out, have sex, PG-13 style sex, and that scene could be important, as it's the final step to their relationship, and it would automatically be rated NC-17. Because the people on the ratings board don't like gay people/.

The ratings system is flawed, and can ruin a film. They need to fix it.

Not just that, some characters would change to a degree if they lost their R-rated edge. Case in point, John McClane in Live Free or Die Hard. He didn't exactly have the same vibe as in the previous films.

Back