Do you like selling/buying more on ebay or here?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
between paypal and ebay fees it comes to 11% of your sale price, including your shipping costs, if I'm not mistaken.

between paypal and ebay fees it comes to 11% of your sale price, including your shipping costs, if I'm not mistaken.

eBay is 10% final value fee plus paypal 3% and a flat fee per transaction. They also count the shipping price in that calculation so you are paying closer to 15% or so depending on actual shipping cost. I am a top rated seller and get 20% discount on final value fees so even I pay 11-13% even after the discount.

To me the $25 fee for here is nothing compared to the 10% Ebay takes from you, a $600 statue will cost you $60, so the fee for this website more then pays for itself with the first statue sold here. With that said, it does seem like things have slowed down in the for sale section. Popular items seem to sell pretty fast but most items it can take a really long time. That's where Ebay comes in, a much bigger audience so you can usually sell stuff faster.... one thing I have noticed both here and ebay is that it's a buyers market, thanks to all the new companies coming into this business, markets are getting flooded with product which hurts trying to sell off older stuff.... As far as protection goes, PayPal gives you the same protection as Ebay but only charges 4% vs 14% when you do both ebay/paypal.

It's to bad Ebay has gotten so greedy, I can see 10% for $1-$100 but it should drop to like 7% once it's over $100 and 5% once it's over $500, it's painful to pay 10% on a $1000 statue, $100 poof..

I enjoy selling on here more than I do ebay to be honest. I've had a bunch of figures to sell and had a pleasant experience selling to everyone here.
On ebay it's become a pain to sell stuff. The fees are very high, we pay fees with ebay then on paypal, it's probably reasonable but it just seems like a big chunk of change. I always get someone message me on ebay saying if it doesn't sell, I'll take it off your hands for $100 less. Yeah, right.....

Haven't listed anything on here for ages. Not enough European interest.

Just got my second 'sell for £1' offer on eBay, sold a few pieces last time, and they gave me 15% off my last purchase so it's all good :)

To be honest most of my buying and selling is instigated on eBay but done privately.

To me the $25 fee for here is nothing compared to the 10% Ebay takes from you, a $600 statue will cost you $60, so the fee for this website more then pays for itself with the first statue sold here. With that said, it does seem like things have slowed down in the for sale section. Popular items seem to sell pretty fast but most items it can take a really long time. That's where Ebay comes in, a much bigger audience so you can usually sell stuff faster.... one thing I have noticed both here and ebay is that it's a buyers market, thanks to all the new companies coming into this business, markets are getting flooded with product which hurts trying to sell off older stuff.... As far as protection goes, PayPal gives you the same protection as Ebay but only charges 4% vs 14% when you do both ebay/paypal.

It's to bad Ebay has gotten so greedy, I can see 10% for $1-$100 but it should drop to like 7% once it's over $100 and 5% once it's over $500, it's painful to pay 10% on a $1000 statue, $100 poof..
Great points Dan, agree. I do prefer ebay as I've had way better success due to a wider audience. But the ebay fee is killer no doubt, but in the end its much cheaper than a bricks and mortar store :)

I'm in the US and surprisingly alot of my buyers were overseas, Canada or Mexico, etc. so as a seller I really NEED as much protection and a reasonable shipping cost (GSP provides these) as possible in case of damages. And the buyer is in the same boat. Transactions wont happen if shipping and insurance adds another $400+ to get it across the pond. Ive heard mixed feelings on GSP, but I can only speak positivly from experience.

I can say Ive only had one scammer try to tell me he never received the Galactus Maq I sold him, and ebay sided with me on the case with no problems, they shut down his claim and told him to **** off. I think having a great rating and history helps in cases.

Moving to a sliding fee structure based on sale price would be amazing! Damn that would be huge. HUuuuuuge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Going off topic, I never did get the whole thing with SS pumping out cobra ninja variants like they were storm troopers or ironman figures. I guess we were lucky to get what did. I was just looking at the sale link above.

Speaking of Ebay I got a warning yesterday for selling outside of their site LOL.... I admit I was guilty, couple guys messaged me to just go through paypal instead of ebay in order to skip the 10% fees, guess Ebay really goes through everyone's email on their site to make sure it doesn't happen.... the thing is people wouldn't do it if the fees were more fair.... I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see another fee increase down the road because it does seem like a lot of people are now selling on facebook instead...

Speaking of Ebay I got a warning yesterday for selling outside of their site LOL.... I admit I was guilty, couple guys messaged me to just go through paypal instead of ebay in order to skip the 10% fees, guess Ebay really goes through everyone's email on their site to make sure it doesn't happen.... the thing is people wouldn't do it if the fees were more fair.... I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see another fee increase down the road because it does seem like a lot of people are now selling on facebook instead...

Same thing happened to me a week ago. At first I thought they were monitoring messages and then I assumed a buyer told them I was offering the price off ebay for a better price. But I came to realize I think it's because I'm ending auctions early because the item is no longer for sale that is the red flag. Like Collectorcol said, it would take an army to monitor everyone's messages so I don't think that's it.

But yeah, with FB selling on the upswing ebay really needs to adjust their fees because if they keep going up then people will eventually say it's not worth it anymore. They need to decrease or use the graduated scale to keep people selling. The fees are getting flat out ridiculous. With ebay, PP and shipping you probably make 80% of the total.

Same thing happened to me a week ago. At first I thought they were monitoring messages and then I assumed a buyer told them I was offering the price off ebay for a better price. But I came to realize I think it's because I'm ending auctions early because the item is no longer for sale that is the red flag. Like Collectorcol said, it would take an army to monitor everyone's messages so I don't think that's it.

But yeah, with FB selling on the upswing ebay really needs to adjust their fees because if they keep going up then people will eventually say it's not worth it anymore. They need to decrease or use the graduated scale to keep people selling. The fees are getting flat out ridiculous. With ebay, PP and shipping you probably make 80% of the total.

I do use ebay a lot but I prefer here. First there is the 10% they take including taking 10% for shipping costs. As well as 4% PayPal fees. Also ebay people tend not to pay about 15-20% of the time. If they dont pay you cant leave negative feedback they get an invisible strike that does nothing.

Lastly ebay people complain about everything because they can get a refund any time. PayPal always sides with the buyer. So overall you get more jerks on ebay. Most people on the boards are good people.

Just my two cents

When your selling a $400.00 statue with $40.00 shipping, thats $44.00 you can save by not going through ebay. They need to take the fee off shipping and lower it to 5% and I would be fine with it

**** is mostly overpriced on the boards. Just get it off ebay. occasionally it's cheaper but I'd rather not refresh pages all day looking for a deal.

Stuff should be cheaper here since the seller is avoiding ebay fees, not more expensive than ebay.

**** is mostly overpriced on the boards. Just get it off ebay. occasionally it's cheaper but I'd rather not refresh pages all day looking for a deal.

Stuff should be cheaper here since the seller is avoiding ebay fees, not more expensive than ebay.
You can say that about both places. eBay has plenty of overpriced stuff too. Here you can find deals or at least make an offer, but lower selection obviously.

All my stuff listed here is/was significantly lower than I had it on eBay. People just seem more frugal here and there is a lot less traffic too. For every 1 piece I sell here I move 10+ on eBay, even at lower prices here. Hell, I have even had board members contact me on eBay 1st when my items are siting right here.

Back